remington model 700 54 cal.

ce61

a friend of mine has one and claims it shoots poorly. any particular bullet anyone would suggest to try? thanks ce

The one I bought for my huinting partner shoots exceptionly well with a Hornady .452 caliber, 300 grain XTP, and 100 grains of Pyrodex "P".

If it has been kept clean and bore is in good condition,I have never seen a Remington shoot bad.My buddy has one and he shoots powerbelt 348 bullets and it shoot excellent.

ce61, I purchased a Remington Model 700 muzzle loading rifle in SS with a camo'd stock back about ten years ago. I am perfectly satisfied with this rifle. I used the Power Belt in 348 grain propelled by 130 grains of Triple Seven black powder substitute for years. Last year, after reading numerous posts about bullet selection and powder charges, I switched to the Hornady 425 grain HB-HP bullet pushed down the muzzle by 90 grains of 777. I was afraid that the Power Belt would not remain intact as mentioned in the above mentioned articles on MM. I have never used the almost new Platinum Power Belts though as they are supposed to be of somewhat 'harder' bullet material. I have always liked the PB bullets but will again use the Hornady this fall in Colorado during the muzzle loader season.

Shoot a 700 in .50, but the Hornady XTP's all shoot well. Haven't tried the Powerbelts....no need!

I have a 700ML 50 cal, ACCURATE. xtp & shockwaves, never tried anything else. Did I mention it was accurate? Great gun. must keep it clean or it can misfire and get 209 upgrade. Never failed me since I got it, and I got it when it very first came out. I have been in bad weather for days, instant fire dead on.

thanks for the replies. this gun is a 54 cal. not a 50. i am looking for a good shooting bullet. will not be used for nothing but whitetail deer. ce61

I have the Remington in 50 caliber. Had problems at the range where the gun would fire when the bolt was closed. Very scary. Had it fixed under warranty but have never shot it again. I have a 54 CA Knight MK-85 and it likes the Barnes bullets. Every gun is a little different, even in the same model, as to bullet/powder preferences. Buy some different bullets/powders and experiment at the range to find what your particular gun likes best...

Good luck.

Horniac...

ce- I have a 700 54 and my first shot no matter what is always a flyer, then the dang thing is gold for the next 4 shots then it is start all over. I am using a 348 aerotip PB with 90 grains of pyro. Also have the 209 conversion on it. Other than the first shot sucking it has been a good gun. It is now my backup/loaner to friends since I bought a knight 50 but I still like the gun.

nmelk13

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom