Red Desert Antelope

Chesterwyo

Very Active Member
Just wanted to give some on the ground info for those considering applying for an Antelope tag in the Red Desert. I was out there working today and had some time to do some looking around between projects. Antelope numbers are on the uptick, but still not great. Saw probably 50 between creston jct and MM 17 on both sides of the road was seeing less than 20 this time last year. Also spent some time north of Wamsutter. Again, on the uptick but not many. Probably a hundred between Wamsutter and the Luman Ranch Road. There was way less than that this time last year. Saw a handful of bucks, and nothing big.

Unrelated to the red desert but it has amazed me where we are seeing antelope yet after that harsh winter. They migrated to areas not of the norm and have yet to leave those areas. We are seeing similar around here. Thanks for the report.

Thanks for the report it's nice to hear the numbers are looking a little better. . I have a pile of points for Antelope and will be looking to burn them in 2026.Hopefully the next couple Winters are mild🤞

IMO there's not really anymore antelope than there was last year. It's just this spring they are not displaced as far and wide as a year ago and are already concentrating much closer to summer grounds than they were a year ago.

Good report, thanks!

I would agree a lot depends upon how far deep snow moves the majority of antelope. The same can be true during drought summers with lack of water. There have been a few years when reservoirs and water sources totally dried up and moved antelope long distance. Combine that with severe winters and it's not a good situation!

For the most part there was open windswept hilltops across the landscape in the majority of the Red Desert this winter so I doubt antelope moved as far as years with deep snow in the same areas. Your guess is as good as mine how long it takes antelope to move or return to past home ranges. Some may never return?

I've noticed that with severe winter and summer drought conditions sometimes antelope stay where they end up and may not return to their more typical ranges. That same exact thing has happened in NW Colorado where drought and lack of water moved antelope totally out of historic areas. Obviously if they find food and water more desirable somewhere else...why return?

With that said, there are still miles and miles without antelope numbers like there were around 6 or 8 years ago. It is definitely a good sign that a few animals are returning! There still is plenty of potential antelope country with few critters. With decent moisture and fewer animals across the landscape it ought to help some of the browse recover for future years. Believe me, the browse in the Red Desert has been in horrible shape the past 15+ years.

On a brighter note, it's been a relatively mild winter through most of Wyoming so hopefully things green up and there are lots of fawns in the coming months!

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom