Process for Acquiring Points in CO

Cheater

LAST EDITED ON Nov-03-15 AT 11:21AM (MST)[p]What is the process and cost for acquiring bonus points for future deer hunt in Colorado as a non-resident? I don't plan to hunt there any time soon, but wanted to start building some points. I'm mainly curious about annual cost.

Thanks.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-03-15 AT 12:37PM (MST)[p]Apply in early April, they keep your $ for a couple months and mail it back to you minus the appropriate fee, $3 + $40 if you didn't hold a license the year before. If you're applying for multiple species might pick up a fishin license now to avoid the fee. Good luck!

203820151103114126.png

Elkduds is right, I spaced the habitat stamp. So your initial output is $384 and if you didn't have a license the previous year they keep $53, $13 if you did have a license.

Nonres deer license fee is $374. @ the limited license drawing in April (apply in March) each year, apply for a deer preference point as your 1st choice. You have to pay the whole amount of the license plus $3 app fee and $10 habitat stamp.

Refunds for unsuccessful applicants are issued by
June 26. The $3 application fee and $10 Habitat Stamp
fee are nonrefundable. Refunds are sent to applicant,
regardless of who paid for the original application.

$40 PREFERENCE POINT FEE. Hunters will be automatically assessed $40 per species ($30 for resident deer and pronghorn) for a preference point unless they have purchased one of the following: an annual fishing, small-game, resident combination small-game and fishing, furbearer or a big-game license in the previous year; or a current limited license in the draw for the same species for which they seek a point.
The point fee is waived for youths, lifetime license holders, free senior annual fishing license holders and residents who are in the military on active duty outside Colorado.

Good luck.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-03-15 AT 01:03PM (MST)[p]Thanks for the detailed input guys. If I understand everything correctly, you can't simply buy a point each year, you actually have to apply for a tag, and the point is a result of being unsuccessful in the draw...

If I want to accumulate points for 5-10 years, I need to apply every year in a unit that I'm unlikely to draw?

$53 per year isn't so bad, for some reason I was expecting it to be 3 times that.

Thanks DW, that is exactly what I'm looking to do. Interesting that you still have to pay the full license cost up front for a point...

Thought I read ,or heard, they weren't legally allowed to collect interest of the money. I don't buy it. Personally I wished they'd throw it in a 90 day account with the best rate they could find and make some $ off of it since I'm not.

Just curious....could you apply for some dream unit as your only choice and then not have to pay the fee....say apply for some unit that takes 10 points to draw?

IOW, could you just put in for the draw, w/the hope of not getting drawn, and not have to pay to fee?

As a side point, when you apply w/a credit card, the seller (the state) has to pay a fee of 3% of the transaction, to the bank, for letting you use a CC...which they in turn pass on to you. Also, tis illegal (or so I've heard) to charge you more to use a credit card, but I've seen it done (like, I think, at AM-PM gas stations).
John 14:6

Even if you apply for point only you still need to upfront the same amount of money as if it was a tag.

As for applying for dream unit, yep still the same, you pay the same fees. There are no loop holes in Colorado's application process to get out of paying the fee. :/

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

LAST EDITED ON Nov-06-15 AT 05:46AM (MST)[p]Stinky, as stated, just applying for an actual tag doesn't affect having to pay for the point. You have to actually purchase a tag of some sort to not pay the fee.

Apply for one species: just pay for the point.

Apply for 2 or more species: buy an annual fishing license or small game license even though you won't use it and you will pay less.

And you would have to purchase the license prior to March 31 for it to apply for 2016. That license would expire on March 31 of 2016, but would negate the point fees.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

The main requirement for acquiring preference points is to start at an early age and live a long time.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom