Prince of wales island.

Thatguy

Hey any of you guys have much experience in POW islands? I’m down in the states, looking to drive up with my boat and go fishing etc. anyone have pointers on where to go to get my feet wet in the area? I have experience in Alaska but up in the Cook Inlet so POW islands is all new to me. Just looking for an area that would be accessible from the mainland with a dock and harbor to put in. Thanks

Since there isn't a road from the lower 48 to Ketchican area, I assume you know you will need to take the ferry. Once in Ketchikan there are plenty of public boat launch areas, or you can take the local ferry to POW. Again, multiple public boat launches once you are on the island, but most activity is around Craig.
Bill

I've driven to Prince Rupert then taken the ferry to Ketchikan then another ferry to Hollis POW. Drove a 4wd pickup with camper and trailered an 18 foot square stern canoe. When it rained too much we took the canoe in the bays and chased halibut, cod, rockfish and crabs. After the weather cleared up we threw streamers at silvers in the creeks. Drove to Craig-Klawock for provisions. IMO this is the best way to go if you have the time - you have your own vehicle, camp and boat. Lots of independence.

Since there isn't a road from the lower 48 to Ketchican area, I assume you know you will need to take the ferry. Once in Ketchikan there are plenty of public boat launch areas, or you can take the local ferry to POW. Again, multiple public boat launches once you are on the island, but most activity is around Craig.
Bill
Nice thanks that’ll help out

I've driven to Prince Rupert then taken the ferry to Ketchikan then another ferry to Hollis POW. Drove a 4wd pickup with camper and trailered an 18 foot square stern canoe. When it rained too much we took the canoe in the bays and chased halibut, cod, rockfish and crabs. After the weather cleared up we threw streamers at silvers in the creeks. Drove to Craig-Klawock for provisions. IMO this is the best way to go if you have the time - you have your own vehicle, camp and boat. Lots of independence.
That sounds like it would be sweet way to go

Santana has it all figured out! Such a great way to go_On your way up look for gravel pits to pull off and over night camp for free. Gas is very expensive in Canada so most guys try to carry extra to skip filling up.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom