Paunsagunt Archery

You have to be careful estimating those Pauns bucks by "general" estimates on ear width.

Those bucks have some of the largest heads mule deer have ever possessed, and can make you under-estimate the width if you use the "ears are 20-24 inches wide" general guidelines.

I know from experience!

Not sure, but did you shoot him? :oops:
I passed on him three times, but the first two he did not face me. The third time he did so I could finally see the full width. I still passed at 45 yards. Not sure. But I been practicing broadheads at 50 yards with new bow 5 for 5 this afternoon.

I know bessy only goes for 40 inchers, but c'mon man! Kill that sucker!!!

If he's truly 2 ear widths on each side, that buck is over 30 inches no matter how you slice it. If it's a giant head deer, he could be significantly over 30 inches.

I passed on him three times, but the first two he did not face me. The third time he did so I could finally see the full width. I still passed at 45 yards. Not sure. But I been practicing broadheads at 50 yards with new bow 5 for 5 this afternoon.
To each his own, but you may want to check your head for passing a buck if he was truly that wide. What was the rest of his antler config like (straight 4 point, trashy buck, etc.)?

Totally your hunt and you get to choose the experience you have, but as the days pass those big bucks will not stick around in the open as much. If you are intent on killing a good buck, I would get to stick flippin on a good buck like that!

If I had that tag (won't happen, but I can dream) a buck over 30" or scores over 180 I would be shooting. bigger ones are there, tough to make it happen with a bow. Good luck and excited to see more pics.

To each his own, but you may want to check your head for passing a buck if he was truly that wide. What was the rest of his antler config like (straight 4 point, trashy buck, etc.)?

Totally your hunt and you get to choose the experience you have, but as the days pass those big bucks will not stick around in the open as much. If you are intent on killing a good buck, I would get to stick flippin on a good buck like that!
He has only 3 points on the drivers side, and 4 on right but the rear is a crab claw, so more like a 3x3.

BTW - I failed to update last few days because I went down in a deep canyon and up the other side and really pissed off my left Achilles. It was barkin something awful and I needed to recover. It’s much better today, all stretched out too. So I had two close encounters yesterday but blew stalking attempts to where I totally gave up that option. Now it’s either vehicle drive by solo jump out style, or my Ghost Blind in a saddle. Also wanted to mention, I had a young Mossback guide flag me down to talk. He drove me to some nearby bucks he glassed and explained their travel pattern. Showed me their saddle route. I don’t think he ever met a regular state lottery permit hunter before? Guy was super helpful. I emailed their office to compliment him, and leave my cell number in case he wanted to take a client there.

BTW - I failed to update last few days because I went down in a deep canyon and up the other side and really pissed off my left Achilles. It was barkin something awful and I needed to recover. It’s much better today, all stretched out too. So I had two close encounters yesterday but blew stalking attempts to where I totally gave up that option. Now it’s either vehicle drive by solo jump out style, or my Ghost Blind in a saddle. Also wanted to mention, I had a young Mossback guide flag me down to talk. He drove me to some nearby bucks he glassed and explained their travel pattern. Showed me their saddle route. I don’t think he ever met a regular state lottery permit hunter before? Guy was super helpful. I emailed their office to compliment him, and leave my cell number in case he wanted to take a client there.

The couple of times I've crossed paths with Mossback guides, they've been as cool and as helpful as can be.

Tikka Is Perty Close On Northern/NorthEastern Type PISSCUTTERS!

But There Are Still Some BIG BODIED BASTARDS On The Pauns!

If He's Got 2 Ear Widths On Each Side Past His Ears I Think I Woulda Been Releasing!:D
Not always, I try stick with 20-22" range...

Tikka Is Perty Close On Northern/NorthEastern Type PISSCUTTERS!

But There Are Still Some BIG BODIED BASTARDS On The Pauns!

If He's Got 2 Ear Widths On Each Side Past His Ears I Think I Woulda Been Releasing!:D
But he's just a dinky 3x4 bess, he obviously still needs some years under his belt.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom