Oregon deer herd estimates

lostinOregon

Very Active Member
Take a look at ODFWs estimated mule deer numbers. Most of the units don’t have a hunt-able population in my opinion. Yet they are still awarding thousand of buck tags and some doe tags. This is nuts.

7501D0B0-F4B1-48AE-9CDA-609318D59C11.png

Take a look at ODFWs estimated mule deer numbers. Most of the units don’t have a hunt-able population in my opinion. Yet they are still awarding thousand of buck tags and some doe tags. This is nuts.

View attachment 152663

They are below objective for sure but that has zero to do with hunting. The only doe tags they give are for blacktail, whitetail and very few mule deer in ag areas. Oregon has a huge predator problem, there are still plenty of bucks on the landscape breading does and from what I've seen is some of the lower-density units there are very good buck to doe ratios even though ODFW doesn't show that.
A lot of their numbers are total BS, they are doing piss poor surveys. Almost every doe I've seen the last few years has had twins, by mid summer they have zero babies. We have had some really easy winters on our deer herds, good summers with lots of moisture as well.
Cats and Coyotes are whats killing Oregon deer numbers, lowering buck tag numbers will do nothing to stop the decline in deer numbers, all it will do is make is so there are less hunters in Oregon which is exactly what our state wants.

If you think no does are killed during buck season you are sadly mistaken.
Not enough to affect to population, poaching is already illegal so I'm not sure what your argument is. Do you think that stopping hunting will stop poaching? Keeping poachers from killing does is about the stupidest reason I've ever heard of for cutting tag number.

The conversation is about the health of the deer herd, not stopping hunting. There's more than enough reasons to cut tag #'s if your eyes have been open the last 20 years.

So we should continue to issue tons of tags for hunters and keep killing a deer herd that is basically vanishing before your eyes? If you took out the private ground what would the numbers look like. I am not saying to stop hunting, but the tag numbers issued are not consistent with population models

These estimates are a complete joke. It’s worse than that. I scouted about 40 days prior to my deer hunt in the steens in 2020. I covered the entire unit and even managed to make my way onto the Roaring springs ranch a couple days. I had previously killed a 210 gross with my bow in 08’. I know what the steens is capable of. I even flew it 2 days. I saw exactly 58 bucks and 327 does. I would guess I saw an honest 25% of what that unit holds. NOW, I saw 22 bucks on Roaring springs alone. So that left a measly 36 bucks on the rest….

On another note, I have hunted the east whitehorse unit extensively. I went back a couple years back (2022) to see my old stomping grounds south of Jordan valley. All I can say is PITIFUL!!!!!!! I saw 4 forkys and 1-2x 3 and maybe 12 does and a couple fawns. From 2000-2006, I killed a solid 150 or better buck (all bow kills) usually seeing 40-70 bucks a season. Triple that in does and 60% fawns. A good healthy herd.

The powers that be seriously needs to get off there ass and get boots on the ground and reel this problem in. IMHO, less tags, PREDATOR CONTROL and habitat improvement needs to be done…
P.S. while chasing deer in the owyhees we ran into a conservation officer who stated “as far as cats go, you have to kill 9 before you can tag the 10th”. We need more sound wisdom like this…..

What's disturbing is it's obvious that a lot of those numbers are just guesstimates. You'd think if they're gonna guess they'd throw on the rose colored glasses to justify their tag numbers.

I'm just shocked that the switch to choose your unit and draw archery tags hasn't bounced the herds right back to the heydays...

Back
Top Bottom