OR Fee Increase

ElmerFudd

Very Active Member
75% more for nonresidents to just apply for big game hunts next year, almost $175! They share the stingiest % of tags in the west by far with nonresidents, 5% that gets cherry picked first in the guide draw, leaving like 2.5% of the primo tags. It was a marginal value application at a bit under $100. Now, a complete gouge!

Guess that don't want many of the $100 nonresident applications, that was pretty much money for nothing with that stingy nonresident quota. Didn't they see what happened with Idaho's nonresident gouge the nonresidents price increase this year? WTF?

I turned my back on Oregon over 15 years ago due to their gouging of non residents. Making you pay for a license and no guarantee you will draw your tag in the unit you want to hunt.
I guess it takes others longer to figure out when they are being ripped off.

RELH

Don't take this personal but you'd have to be a numbskull to pay $500 for an Elk tag in this scrub state let alone $150 just to apply.

BUT with 11 deer and antelope points and 9 elk points, does a guy just quit???????? Like $1,100.00 already invested and not too far from the better tags Oregon offers, don't see how I can get out now.

Are the new 2010 regs. out yet? i got on their web-site and did'nt see anything.Where can i get the info.? Thanks, BRDHNTR

One of the reasons POINTS SUCK! They use them to force you to make long range decisions on rules and such that change anytime. You don't know what you are buying. Haven't I said this before?

Oregon has a special guide draw that can take up to 1/2 of the already super stingy 5% cap of nonresident tags before the regular draw. That's the "Cherry Pick" of the primo tags I refered to, leaving a mere 2.5% of the tags for the regular draw. The outfitter can sell the tag/hunt for whatever he can, it's transferable.

>Oregon has a special guide draw
>that can take up to
>1/2 of the already super
>stingy 5% cap of nonresident
>tags before the regular draw.
>That's the "Cherry Pick" of
>the primo tags I refered
>to, leaving a mere 2.5%
>of the tags for the
>regular draw. The outfitter can
>sell the tag/hunt for whatever
>he can, it's transferable.

Antelope tags are even fewer i believe. i think they will see the same results as Idaho did this year. a huge decrease in tag / license sales.

Travis
www.RidgelineOutdoors.com
Blacks-Creek Packs Dealer

LAST EDITED ON Nov-20-09 AT 10:42AM (MST)[p]To see where your points stack up you can download the preference point data directly from the game dept and see where you are in the mix
-or-
you can but a "Tag Guide" which is a book some guys sell that will give you close to the same info.
The pref report has actual pool numbers, tag guide is percentages. Tag Guide also has other info to make it worth the $12 or so it costs but, d/l the pref reports anyway.

Regarding being stuck in the draw, other states have good hunting so points aren't a problem. Oregon has 2 1/2 "good" Elk units. These units got "good" by default, not by design. I have been in Wehaha multiple times during Archery season. My "upper, mid level" NM unit is head and shoulders better than Wenaha. Having spent 35 years bow hunting OR and 4 hunting NM, there is no comparing the two states.
WY General season was not on par with NM Elk but still better than a std. bow unit in OR. Average bull in OR 250, avg bull in WY, 280.
I have yet to hunt AZ or UT, 7 and 5 points respectively for 2010.

What a bunch of crap....this increase prices me out and like another member I have 8 points and was just about to the point I was going to cash them out.....%$#&!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is one big reason I like the New Mexico draw....No damn points. Every person has the same chances (78% resident, 12% guided non-resident, 10% non-resident). Bad part is that I'm very unlucky in the draw.

I know it's going to do no good, but maybe we ought to all put in for refund requests for past licenses bought with the expectation that they wouldn't change the rules too much...and you could use the points purchased someday...nearly 80% increase of application costs in one year ...Bait & Switch???

At least write them and let them know your feelings. I did:)

Honestly, if they would share a bit more (like give nonresidents a more reasonable quota), I wouldn't feel so bad about giving them more support.

I put in for most states but Oregon and California have so few nonresident tags that I completely skipped those states. I'm glad I did now.

HillbillyNnevada;

The issue here is not so much as the "so few tags". If a state only issued 2 % tags to non residents, you know your odds of drawing from the get go and can make a decision if you want to apply.

When you apply those few tags to a program like Oregon's where they scalp you for application fees or hunting license fees and you have little chance of drawing a tag, then it becomes a very big issue. You sit home due to not drawing a tag and they put hundreds of your dollars into their bank account because the application fees and or hunting license fee is non refunable.

You can call it anything you want, I prefer to call it outright robbery and will not play their game. Sooner or later they will loose enought money to change the rules or will jack up the prices to their residents to the point they start camplaining also.

I can not understand why hunters will allow themselfs to be ripped off like this. Reminds me of a hunting trip to Wyoming in the 80's. My partner and I approached a rancher near Medicine Bow for the right to hunt his ranch. He advised us that he charges $ 350.00 per day to hunt antelope on his property and his son would take us out in their pickup and tell us which animal to shoot.
I told him that we had already scouted around the ranch,on public roadways, and the biggest lope we saw was in the 13 inch class and we wanted to fill our doe tags. He agreed that he only had lopes in the 13-14 inch class and it would still be 350 bucks for us to fill doe tags. We grinned and said we would pass. He grinned and stated, "that's alright boys, those guys from Michigan will be willing to pay the fees".

We went two ranches over and got free tresspass and filled our tags.

RELH

RELH,
The issue for me is there are not enough nonresident tags issued in CA and OR to justify the excessive costs. I gladly pay the upfront license costs in other states where I will eventually draw even if it is 15 years. However, I don't think I will ever draw in CA no matter how long I try. I made the cost benefit analysis for OR many years ago and this new news makes me happy that I made the correct choice.

Oregon hands out a bazillion tags, but they all go to us residents. They just added 10 youth cow tags to nearly every unit, and Aug1 - Dec 31 dates. Great for the kids but with the outlandish number of tags going out, the 5% NR quota is criminal.

I feel bad for non-res hunters who want to hunt Oregon. There are some great opportunities for somewhat different species and some nice country. This new increase makes it hard to justify. Please tell ODFW how you feel...I did.

"I feel bad for non-res hunters who want to hunt Oregon."

Yeah, like my good buddy here, Kali, in town. He's been acquiring points for over 10 years for multiple animals without being successful. He's now trapped into paying the higher fees or throw away his investment. I guess that he can just cash out, on some of the points, by trying for easier to draw units but even so, seems like a lot of hunters will soon be thinking the same way, making even those easier to draw hunts, hard to draw.

Myself, i've hunted Oregon several times and have done so on "over the counter" hunts on the West side. They are not really special in that there are lots of hunters and the trophy potential isn't what it could be but i've found a few places that i enjoy and it was, considering the fuel and driving time, cost effective. "Hunting", much better than staying home.

Joey

You are actually a long way from the better elk units and I dont know if there any good deer units right now.

When you are talking $172 per year nonrefundable to apply, think about how many years to a tag, you are talking about a pretty expensive tag! I'm thinking cut your losses and bail. Even mediocre deer units in some other states have better trophy potential than OR's best and you could save up for a landowner tag in fewer years at less cost than it would take a nonresident to draw a primo OR tag:)

I put in to hunt in about 10 States a year and had not put in for Oregon before since they only give 5% of tags to non-residents and their hunting is so-so. However, I was going to add Oregon this year and was ready to put in untill I read this post and now I will never put in for Oregon. I am just glad that I hadn't put in before and wasted my money.

I'd love to see a huge drop in ODFW's 2010 revenue. They don't seem to be listening, but a low turnout from both resident and out of state hunters might wake 'em up. It'd give the remaining deer populations a chance to bounce back a little too since the cougar and wolves are already doing enough "harvesting" to negate the need for sportsman.

It's actually somewhat amazing to see how many people are getting worked up over this since OR is not known for the trophy status of anything. I have lived here all my life I can assure you that the residents are just as displeased with the ODFW rate increases. We are looking at declining deer populations in most of the state. Predation is at an all time high and given this increase with the current economy I believe there will be less hunters in the field in 2010 than ever before. Most serious hunters in OR are looking to other states for future hunts.

I totally agree that OR is not worth it, especially for a nonresident.

Just one question, if OR residents serious about it need to look to other states......What would you OR residents think if other states were as stingy to nonresidents as OR? 5% of limited entry that gets pre Cherry picked in a guide draw of half of that of the best deer and elk hunts (some hunts leaving nothing), and 2.5% antelope?

LAST EDITED ON Dec-03-09 AT 07:35AM (MST)[p]>I totally agree that OR is
>not worth it, especially for
>a nonresident.
>
>Just one question, if OR residents
>serious about it need to
>look to other states......What would
>you OR residents think if
>other states were as stingy
>to nonresidents as OR? 5%
>of limited entry that gets
>pre Cherry picked in a
>guide draw of half of
>that of the best deer
>and elk hunts (some hunts
>leaving nothing), and 2.5% antelope?
>

Yup to that! that is why i get worked up about it. some will disagree but id rather see very small increases every year, work me in slowly!

Travis
www.RidgelineOutdoors.com
Blacks-Creek Packs Dealer

>Every state is different. We learn
>to deal with it.

Yep. I culled a couple of states this year. Not much difference in cost when a non-resident to apply for all species in Utah vs. Oregon vs. Arizon vs. Nevada (if want to build points so buy the license). Wyoming costs more than Oregon and Utah combined but can skip the moose and sheep in Wyoming and then for about the same cost can draw a decent pronghorn every other year, a decent deer tag every 5 years and a decent elk tag once a decade. In Oregon, Utah and Nevada though I might go 20 or more years to draw a decent elk, deer or even pronghorn tag.

>Maybe Colorado aint so bad after
>all!
>
>BeanGrinch

Colorado is in the top tier of Western states if you are a non-resident. Non-residents get a decent amount of all tags for all species (except Desert sheep). Having to front the entire tag amount is a bit silly for the 3 years as you draw "dead" on sheep and goat. Tough for a youngster to get to maximum points with Colorado's tag creep but lots of tag choices each year if not trying to get the next world record buck or bull.

I'm probably skipping Oregon this year but only applied last year so not alot of money wasted.
flyingbrass
cold dead hands
NRA Life Member

We're talking about a state that has so many treehuggers controlling legislation that allows cougars to eat up all the game, and then they put a cougar on the cover of the big game regs.

>It's actually somewhat amazing to see
>how many people are getting
>worked up over this since
>OR is not known for
>the trophy status of anything.
>I have lived here all
>my life I can assure
>you that the residents are
>just as displeased with the
>ODFW rate increases. We are
>looking at declining deer populations
>in most of the state.
>Predation is at an all
>time high and given this
>increase with the current economy
>I believe there will be
>less hunters in the field
>in 2010 than ever before.

To say they manage is probable more credit than is due, but they certainly manage for quantity, not quality.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom