Optimum Trigger Pull Weight

littlebighorn

Long Time Member
I own a 1970's Ruger M77 220 Swift with a terrible trigger. Getting that trigger to break was like trying to pull a fat lady out of a bath tub! It had to be over 4lbs.
So I had Zeke install a "drop in" Timney (it was apparently way more work than just dropping in and now I owe him big time). He adjusted it to just over 1lb and man is it a dream to shoot.
Most of my hunting rifles are probably closer to 2lbs, but I don't like much more than that. I just don't shoot that well with a heavier trigger.
I'm curious what most others think is the ideal trigger pull weight for a hunting rifle.

Depends. For the range or for hunting purposes? Personally I don’t want a super light trigger for hunting. 2.5 ish for me.
Are you hitting 4000fps out of that 220?

That seems a little light to me. What about cold weather hunting and shooting with gloves on. My cold weather gun is set at 3.5 lbs. I thought that was light. I have a couple newer guns that are set at 2 and 2.5 and I have to warn people before shooting them . Don't put your finger on the trigger (or in the trigger guard) until you're ready to shoot. But I do like them after getting use to them. Seems like if you breath on that 1 pound trigger it would go off. :) Get Ol'Zeke to bring you up on the mountain one of these weekend and we can tell camp fire stories. I know where his fire pit is.

1 lb would be light for a hunting rifle in my opinion. but if you can't feel 1.5 -2 lbs you might want to see the doctor.

2lbs seems pretty common on the high quality long range guns out of the box. that works.

I’ve never altered a high power rifle that I’ve own. What it came in the house with…. it’s still got…… no more and not less. I couldn’t adjust a trigger if you held a gun to my head.

Now then…… I own a custom built (by cannonball, here on MM) Hawken replica that has a set trigger system, with a simple screw, that sets between the two triggers. Brain dead easy to adjust the back trigger with the screw. I adjusted it once, 40 years ago……. I swear, if your mind says, “shoot”…..the ball is already on its way. Most accurate weapon I’ve ever owned…… with in its range.

Yes….. I am paranoid…….. when I hand it to anyone else.

How did you reach this conclusion?
I stumbled on this by accident. Seems to be the sweet spot of not too light and not too heavy. I think many people try to make up for dryfire practice and technique with a lighter trigger. That is not the way to go, obviously. You see this in pistol shooting as well. People want to lighten their trigger to make up for their inability to shoot well. Same thing with rifles. Run the numbers on your various guns and see what you think.

That seems a little light to me. What about cold weather hunting and shooting with gloves on. My cold weather gun is set at 3.5 lbs. I thought that was light. I have a couple newer guns that are set at 2 and 2.5 and I have to warn people before shooting them . Don't put your finger on the trigger (or in the trigger guard) until you're ready to shoot. But I do like them after getting use to them. Seems like if you breath on that 1 pound trigger it would go off. :) Get Ol'Zeke to bring you up on the mountain one of these weekend and we can tell camp fire stories. I know where his fire pit is.
I've never killed anything with gloves on my shooting finger. I don't care if it's cold, I want to feel the squeeze.
I hardly get invites to Zeke's house, much less one of his cabins.
Besides that one is a long way from my house.;)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom