Open Heart Surgery

Bwht4x4

Very Active Member
I'm headed into open heart surgery to repair a leaky mitral valve in a couple of weeks and was curious who here has had this done or any other open heart surgery. I'm looking for things that maybe I've not thought of as being critical to bringing with me to the hospital. Lots of other people are saying a long charging cable and a battery backup for my phone. I'm also looking for ideas on other items to take with me in the hospital to keep me busy and not bored out of my mind. The thought of sitting in a bed for 4 to 6 days straight sounds horrible. Any thoughts please feel free to share.

Good luck and wish you a speedy recovery. Might just use this time to sleep and rest. Most likely once you get home you will be busy catching up and trying to get back in shape.

Good luck and wish you a speedy recovery. Might just use this time to sleep and rest. Most likely once you get home you will be busy catching up and trying to get back in shape.
From what I hear there's not much sleep and rest in the hospital after OHS. There are people coming in and out all day and night checking on you and it's impossible to sleep. Sleep and rest will likely have to wait until I get back home.

Not OHS but I spent 3 weeks in ICU and another 9 weeks in different rehab venues.
My guess is you won't really give a **** for awhile.
Every hospital I was in had plenty of power outlets for charging. Not sure you need a battery backup.
Don't be too macho to take advantage of the pain meds. The folks helping you probably know what they are doing.
Hope it all works out.

Not OHS but I spent 3 weeks in ICU and another 9 weeks in different rehab venues.
My guess is you won't really give a **** for awhile.
Every hospital I was in had plenty of power outlets for charging. Not sure you need a battery backup.
Don't be too macho to take advantage of the pain meds. The folks helping you probably know what they are doing.
Hope it all works out.
Thanks for that. They're telling me they'll have me walking the hallways the day after surgery and more walking every day I'm there. Crazy to believe I'll be up and walking that fast. As for pain meds, all the people I'm talking to say they were only on Tylenol when they were released and at home. I'm definitely not macho and if the pain is bad I'll definitely be taking the good stuff they prescribe.

Prior to the above incident I donated a kidney to my brother. His recovery was more complicated but I was up and walking the day after surgery. It's pretty amazing what they do now days.

Cough drops and/or cough syrup. If you have to cough, the pain is real. Avoid it at all costs. They should give you a fairly firm pillow to clutch against your chest for coughing, but I’d bring one. The moderate pressure the pillow gives you against the sternum is a life saver when coughing. That pillow will be your companion for a number of weeks.

Cough drops and/or cough syrup. If you have to cough, the pain is real. Avoid it at all costs. They should give you a fairly firm pillow to clutch against your chest for coughing, but I’d bring one. The moderate pressure the pillow gives you against the sternum is a life saver when coughing. That pillow will be your companion for a number of weeks.
They're accessing the heart through multiple holes under my arm pit (minimally invasive) with a robot. Still open heart surgery, but they aren't accessing it through the sternum. With that said coughing is still a big concern of mine. Good idea on the cough drops! Thanks

They're accessing the heart through multiple holes under my arm pit (minimally invasive) with a robot. Still open heart surgery, but they aren't accessing it through the sternum. With that said coughing is still a big concern of mine. Good idea on the cough drops! Thanks
Cheater… You’ll be missing all the “fun”. Seriously, best of luck. My new valve and bypasses made me feel 25 years younger.

Cheater… You’ll be missing all the “fun”. Seriously, best of luck. My new valve and bypasses made me feel 25 years younger.
Supposedly, the pain can be a bit worse with the minimally invasive surgery, but overall recovery is a lot faster. Because of the pain issue they'll put in a nerve block and then you have to cross your fingers that it works. It doesn't always work!

Supposedly, the pain can be a bit worse with the minimally invasive surgery, but overall recovery is a lot faster. Because of the pain issue they'll put in a nerve block and then you have to cross your fingers that it works. It doesn't always work!
I sure hope not for your sake. The pain of a split sternum was extreme and long lasting. I wonder if they move the ribs around enough and that generates the pain? While minimally invasive, it still could pop a couple I suppose.

They warned me about broken ribs, mostly on the LH side. With the pain I had they may have popped a couple.

From when you had problems to your surgery date how long was it ?
This is a kind of a long answer. For the last few years I have had shortness of breath and constant fatigue/tiredness. I didn't think anything of these issues and just attributed them to being out of shape and getting older. I can vividly complaining to my wife 3 to 4 years ago about how ridiculously tired I am all the time. Fast forward to Nov 2023, days before I left on my WY 128 deer hunt I had a simple check up and they found a "heart murmur" and they wanted me to go and get an EKG/echo. During the EKG/echo in late January they found a prolapsed mitral valve with severe regurgitation. Doctor asked if I've had shortness of breath and/or if I've been tired a lot lately. I responded with a YES, absolutely, and he said that's because of the leaky mitral valve. The symptoms were there, but didn't equate them to any heart issues.

During my consult with the local surgeon he signed me up for the surgery on April 25. I kept that date and then looked into a 2nd opinion at Cedars-Sinai in Los Angeles and they confirmed the diagnosis and I scheduled the surgery with them for mid-June. Part of my decision to make the trek to LA for this was the fact they're the #2 cardiac center in the country and the surgeon down there does 25 to 30 of these surgeries per month, whereas the local surgeon only does around 20 per year.

I just had an Ablation on Tuesday. It took 4 1/2 months from schedule to procedure so yes they are backlogged. The procedure went pretty good and recovery has not been bad at all so far.
I had an ablation in Sept and it went great. So far no more problems. Did take 4 months to get in and would’ve been longer but I got a last minute cancellation spot. Recovery was easy and I was hunting sheep two months later

Where's your surgery? If you're at UCLA, bring headphones because the frats are right across from the Caridology Dept. We had lots of sleepless nights when my daughter were there due to the constant "pump" of techno music. Bring something you can play noise on to drown out sounds. The nurses will wake you up at 2 am and 5 am probably anyway to check vitals and weigh you, etc. Why not let the patient sleep? God knows why but they do it at weird times so be prepared. Also, bring some sort of back support as laying in your hospital bed will aggravate your back muscles. My daughter literally cried from back pain....she was 26 and it was her 5th open heart. Be prepared to stay until you poop. Do with that what you will but due to the pain meds, they might make that a priority.

EDIT...I was just looking at pictures from my daughters stay....bring chapstick as your lips will get very dry.

Good luck on your surgery. I hope it goes as planned and recovery is quick.

Last edited:
I just had an Ablation on Tuesday. It took 4 1/2 months from schedule to procedure so yes they are backlogged. The procedure went pretty good and recovery has not been bad at all so far.

I was hoping to get in quicker , my Nevada elk hunt is November 6 . I’ll have to schedule my surgery later , I’m hoping that my heart can take a few hills .

I was hoping to get in quicker , my Nevada elk hunt is November 6 . I’ll have to schedule my surgery later , I’m hoping that my heart can take a few hills .
I kept getting Afib and they would have to stop my heart to get it to reset. Had mine done at the University of Utah and they were great. I’d keep it on the schedule and hope for a cancellation. It doesn’t take long to recuperate

Where's your surgery? If you're at UCLA, bring headphones because the frats are right across from the Caridology Dept. We had lots of sleepless nights when my daughter were there due to the constant "pump" of techno music. Bring something you can play noise on to drown out sounds. The nurses will wake you up at 2 am and 5 am probably anyway to check vitals and weigh you, etc. Why not let the patient sleep? God knows why but they do it at weird times so be prepared. Also, bring some sort of back support as laying in your hospital bed will aggravate your back muscles. My daughter literally cried from back pain....she was 26 and it was her 5th open heart. Be prepared to stay until you poop. Do with that what you will but due to the pain meds, they might make that a priority.

EDIT...I was just looking at pictures from my daughters stay....bring chapstick as your lips will get very dry.

Good luck on your surgery. I hope it goes as planned and recovery is quick.
Hey Steve,

I just order a noise cancelling headset. The chapstick recommendation is a good one. I figured bowel movement was going to be a big deal. I'd hate to not be released simply because I can't drop one! Also, I'm still trying to piece together lunch with you when I'm down your way. Thanks

Hey Steve,

I just order a noise cancelling headset. The chapstick recommendation is a good one. I figured bowel movement was going to be a big deal. I'd hate to not be released simply because I can't drop one! Also, I'm still trying to piece together lunch with you when I'm down your way. Thanks
Where are you having it done? When are you heading in? If you wanna have a phone call when you are bored....I can talk hunting until I am blue in the face! LOL

I'm headed into open heart surgery to repair a leaky mitral valve in a couple of weeks and was curious who here has had this done or any other open heart surgery. I'm looking for things that maybe I've not thought of as being critical to bringing with me to the hospital. Lots of other people are saying a long charging cable and a battery backup for my phone. I'm also looking for ideas on other items to take with me in the hospital to keep me busy and not bored out of my mind. The thought of sitting in a bed for 4 to 6 days straight sounds horrible. Any thoughts please feel free to share.
I am sure you have had your fill of advice from nurses. However, I am a cardiac nurse who has recovered many open-heart patients. If you need to bullshit, shoot me a DM, and I will send you my number.

Thanks Jay. I appreciate that. From someone who sees this everyday, is there anything I should prepare myself for? This is going to be a minimally invasive mitral valve repair of a prolapsed leaflet due to choral rupture.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom