Old ways

Castnshoot

Very Active Member
Does anybody remember the days when Gramps used to have a pocket full of tags that needed to be filled on opening morning.

The hills sounded like world war 2 all day.

Then heads were tossed in a pile behind the barn.

My brother with a few he dragged off of the pile up to Grampa’s back in the mid 60s.

Any body else got photos of those piles that used to be pretty common?

IMG_5449.jpeg

I sure wish I had photos of all the bucks that hung around my grandpa's house when I was a youngster. A fire ended up ruining most of them and they were thrown away after the fire. I just have my vague memories now.

This thread brings back old memories. My father was from a family of 13 children. Many of us hunted together every fall at the old homestead. In 1972 on Monday there were 27 bucks hanging in the grain shed and apple trees behind the house. Most were 4 points. I had been gone for a couple of years, and had shot a good buck that I wanted to show my 85 year old grand dad. We stopped on the back porch about 30 yards from the apple trees. I remember grand dad pausing a little upset and asking who shot that spike? He was referring to a 4 point hanging next to the biggest bodied buck I have ever killed. It was a 28” 3 point that weighted 257 lbs dressed. He was a foot longer than the other buck. Horns were mostly left on a pile by the shed. I wish I had pictures and had sorted some of them out. Hunting was simpler then. BacDoc🤠

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom