Newbie Muzzleloading?

Cheater

I'm getting tired of waiting to draw my Utah LE Rifle Elk tag. I've currently got 10 points, and with the point creep I don't want to wait another 6-10 years to draw. While I've wanted to branch out into alternate weapons in the past, I've always been a rifle guy. For you muzzleloader experts, how big of a change am I looking at? I realize the accurate distances are shorter, but I've never really been a long range guy with the rifle anyway. There are a couple ML tags that I think I could pull in the next year or two. So I guess my real question is, would I be setting myself up for failure by burning my points as a first time ML hunter on my once (maybe twice) in a lifetime hunt? I realize experience helps in just about everything, should I be trying to get a couple ML deer hunts or something under my belt first? If I do make the change, I will spend the entire year getting to know the gun. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice.

I would say go for it as long as you don't put in for the muzzy tag I am after! LOL

With proper prep, that sounds like a good option to me. You can gain familiarity and profencieny with 6 months+. With enough range time you should be able to stretch out distances to between 150-200 yards with a 1x scope.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Last year was my first year with a muzzleloader too. I am now addicted. I found the transition to be pretty smooth. My first time at the range I literally asked the range officer if there was someone experienced around that could come walk me through my first shooting round. I now feel really comfortable with my setup after two years but if you spent a summer getting to know your new setup well I think you would do just fine. The biggest change for me is the 1x scope. It just takes some getting used to when you are coming from the big magnification scopes. The scope will limit your ethical range to what you can consistently hit with accuracy. Personally, I am only confident out to 100-120 yards right now.

If you end up making the switch, you won't regret it. M/L is very addictive and a bunch of fun.

its a fun way to do some more hunting. i shoot an inline and load pellets because they are simple and accurate for me. i have open sights, truglo ones with a small front bead that helps shooting at long distances a little easier. i practice at 100, 150, and 200 yards. i would say 200 would be the maximum that i could pull off. my longest shot at a deer has been 157 yards and it was a quick clean 1 shot kill. i have a lot of faith in my muzzleloader as every time i have shot at a deer i have put it down within 20 yards of where it was shot.

My only hesitation to your proposal is the hunt dates for muzzloader elk in Utah is not at the best time because it is scheduled after all of the rifle hunts, just something to consider. Other than that muzzy hunting is addictive and you will get a lot of help and advice from the guys on this forum.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom