New Rifle questions

Robiland

Very Active Member
OK,
So I am looking to get a new rifle. I own a winchester 270 and do like it. I just want another big game rifle that is a little bigger in case I draw an elk tag or moose tag or something like that.

So I need some opinions. I think I want a 300 Win Mag, Black stock, stainless barrel. The guys I hunt with have them and love them. But all the people I talk to tell me something different (at the stores). IS THERE A BRAND TO GET OR TO STAY AWAY FROM? I have seen that the Browning is more $$$, I get that. But is there 1 that is a lemon out of the different brands? Or are they all good quality guns now days?

Thanks for any advise!

Rem 700. You can't ever go wrong there. But within practical limitations a 30-06 with the right loads will make an elk/moose just as dead as a 300 without welding the gun butt to your shoulder or blowing it off. Elk are tough so are moose, but the 30-06 puts the smack down on them.

Have you ever considered a 7 MAG? this caliber in the rem 700 is an awesome round.

Good luck in your pursuit!

Since you already have a 270, I think the new gun should be a 300 win mag. Seems like a good step up. 30-06 or 7mm mag are not a big enough step to justify the second gun (you would have a favorite and only use that one).

>OK,
>I think I want a
>300 Win Mag, Black stock,
>stainless barrel.

Good choice. The 300 win mag is a fine all around "bigger" rifle. It's just a "touch" more than an 06.
I like Kimber, Rem, Win rifles but there are several others brands that will make a fine rifle.
Most guys at the stores work too much and shoot too little to be credible. IMO.
Zeke

I have always been a fan of the big 30 calibers. Some are the 338 win mag, 30 378, 300 rum or 300 Tejas. I am not sensitive to recoil and have no problem shooting these with out flinching.
But in this month's issue of Hunting illustrated there is a article on America's favorite Magnum page 50. It is talking about the 7mm . I am not a fan of the 7mm.But after reading this article and the high end bullets made these days. It maybe a good choice for you. It's the early fall 2012 issue, read it . It may help you find what you are looking for.

Go big or go home. I chose the .338 Win Mag for my "bigger" caliber. Less recoil than a .300 Win Mag and with 200 gr bullets, shoots about as flat as my .270. I would also consider a .300 RUM with a muzzlebrake. The .300 Rum is a great long range cartridge and you never know what your needs may be in the future. I'm partial to Brownings. I've had excellent results right out of the box and like the fact that I can adjust the trigger without taking it to a smith. The last rifle I put together was an X-Bolt Stainless Stalker in .338 topped with a Leupold VX-III 4.5-14X40. The only thing I wish I would have done differently is gone with a 30MM tube to get more adjustment out of my CDS elevation turret. It's a 700 yard rifle if I do my part. Browning chambers the .300 RUM in the A-Bolt Long Range Hunter which is also stainless/composite. You can set these rifles up for under $2,000 complete if you shop around. Good luck with whatever you choose. New rifles are fun!

The 300 win mag is a GREAT choice in caliber.
If you want to stay in the middle of the pack as far as price is concerned...I would consider"
Tikka.

I have 2 of them, and just LOVE them. Smooth, great shooter, and a heck of a price.

They makes a good black stock, with a stainless barrel.

Good luck.

Mike

I have a win 270 and I also wanted somthing with a little more reach and power for elk or moose hunting. I read the comments and recomendation from the posts here. I bought a 300 win mag savage black stock and stainless barrel accu trigger and accu stock and muzzle brake for $850 at cabelas. Hand loaded and am getting 1/2 inch or less at 100 yards. I have not picked up my 270 in 2years now. Love the 300.

338 win mag. I had the pleasure of handling this caliber this year and what a nice caliber it is to shoot. Then I got to see this thing work and one shot folded the elk right up and the shot was less than perfect.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

" I chose the .338 Win Mag for my "bigger" caliber. Less recoil than a .300 Win Mag and with 200 gr bullets"

The law of physics as well as Chuck Hawks dispute that claim.
http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

OK I can muddy the water a little and tell you I love my 300WSM, which burns much less powder for pretty much the same velocity as the 300 Win Mag. I am not putting the 300Win Mag down, but just don't overlook the little fat guy! LOL

i bought my son a Browning x-bolt in 300 Win Mag last year for christmas and have had no regrets. The Browning is a tack driver with every load we have shot through it. Easily shoots minute of angle. I personaly think the 300 win mag is a great caliber and you will not be sorry if you decide to go that route.

I also agree with LBIGHORN, that 300 WSM is a GREAT way to go.
I love my Browning x bolt 300 wsm. I had a few early problems but now really like the gun.
The 300 magnums are just very good calibers.

Best gun for the money right now has to be the Tikka T3 lite. I bought one a year ago in 270 and it shoots great. It is a solid gun for under $600... SYN stock etc. It has been a great gun and i have ran all sorts of loads through it and it seems to like almost all of them. Nice trigger, great bolt action, clip magazine etc.

I use my 270 on elk and have never needed a second shot yet after having taken 15+ elk.... I understand wanting bigger, but definitely look at the T3

I also highly recommend the 338. I use a 270 or smaller on deer/lopes. For elk or larger game, the 338 win has never let me down.

Almost all currently manufactured rifles are decent quality, although some are better than others. My personal preferences are Kimber, Winchester, and Ruger, in that order. Not a fan or Remington, but nothing wrong with them either aside from the safeties. Other solid rifles are built by Savage, Tikka, Browning and Sako, to name a few.
Any of these companies occasionally put out a dog, but the vast majority are quality guns that shoot great, in most cases far better than the shooter.

I would avoid the real bargain basement brands like Mossberg or Marlin (in bolt guns). You will obviously pay considerably more for the top quality guns like Kimber and Sako, but you are mostly paying for nicer wood and prettier finish. They generally don't shoot any better than Winchesters, Rugers and Remingtons.

Look at features like 3 position safety versus two position, floor plate versus magazine, controlled round feed versus push feed, and overall rifle weight. I personally put the highest emphasis on safety design, as I despise two position safeties. But even guns with these inferior safeties shoot well.

Buy a 300 win mag from any of the major manufacturers and you will be set. If you are going synthetic and stainless then you shouldn't have to pay a premium for finish, and all make quality guns that will last a lifetime.
Bill

>
>Rem 700. You can't ever go
>wrong there. But within practical
>limitations a 30-06 with the
>right loads will make an
>elk/moose just as dead as
>a 300 without welding the
>gun butt to your shoulder
>or blowing it off. Elk
>are tough so are moose,
>but the 30-06 puts the
>smack down on them.
>
>Have you ever considered a 7
>MAG? this caliber in the
>rem 700 is an awesome
>round.
>
>
>
>Good luck in your pursuit!

Blow off your shoulder, give me a break. Most factory loads are only 250 fps faster than an 06. That is less than a 10% velocity increase. Invest in a good soft recoil pad and you won't notice much of difference.

I am also a fan of Browning's . I like there 60 degree bolt.It maybe that my dad was also. He bought me a Browning for about every birthday and x mas. I still have all of them. My browning bps 12 gauge at 14 and browning bar 30 06 at 15. Christmas a browning semi 22 with a leupold rimfire scope and so on.
I do have many other brands of rifles aswell remington 700, weatherby's ,colt sauer's ect. Just buy quality and take care of them, they will last longer then your lifetime and pass them on !

i will also have to agree with others on the tikka t3.i'd say its in the middle for price range but def worth looking at. i have a 30-06 tikka and it shoots great and has a smooth action as well. but i also have a 300wsm that i love..if i was in your position i would get a 300 win mag or wsm. great all around rifle

those talking about recoil? im sure lot of you would agree with me, when your about to make a shot the last thing im thinking about is recoil when i have my crosshairs on a buck or elk.even after i shoot i dont notice or think about it

I bought a x-bolt 300wsm recently and LOVE it, there is very little recoil felt. I can shoot 50 rounds through it and not have any notice of pain in my shoulder. I used to have a model 70 300winmag and after 10 rounds shoulder would hurt. Between the pad and design of the stock the x-bolt is a sweet gun.

There isn't anything I don't like about my gun, except I wished I could have owned one years ago!
Either the 300winmag or 300wsm is great for any NA game. You can get factory loads for any application from pronghorn to brown bears.
my Dad bought a x-bolt 270wsm and likes it but wishes he would have got a 300wsm now after shooting mine. They are the same casing just necked down to a 270.
Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer? See Zeke for prime example....

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom