New build

marley

Very Active Member
This rifle used to be a 300 RUM. I had shot out that barrel so I decided that because the RUM was so similar to my Norma ballistically that I would have it rebarreled to a 7 PRC. I went with a 22” Benchmark carbon on the Jim Borden action and swapped the scope to a NF NX8. Manners EH1 stock and a Jewel trigger. Rifle weighs right at 9 lbs 10 oz with the scope. Excited to work up a load. I’ve loaded up several charges of N565 with 162 ELDX and 175 ELDX. Too bad I don’t have a rifle tag this year.

IMG_5816.jpeg

Great looking rifle. I have been doing some reading on the 7PRC. Let us know how she shoots when you get some rest loads worked up. I’m wishing now that I would have gone the 7PRC route over the 300PRC.

Great looking rifle. I have been doing some reading on the 7PRC. Let us know how she shoots when you get some rest loads worked up. I’m wishing now that I would have gone the 7PRC route over the 300PRC.
Sounds like you need both. I did a ladder test yesterday with 162 grain and 175 grain ELDX to find some good nodes. With a 22” barrel I found a good node with N565 at 3080 with the 162s and 2980 with the 175s. This was a bit faster than I was expecting. The 3080 with the 162s was the top load I did and had zero pressure signs so I could push that a bit more but I don’t know that I want it going any faster. Recoil with a suppressor was very mild.

Last edited:
My 300PRC is currently a paperweight sore subject. Wishing I had gone the 7PRC route.
I might return to fool with the 300 one day, but for now I’m over it.

My 300PRC is currently a paperweight sore subject. Wishing I had gone the 7PRC route.
I might return to fool with the 300 one day, but for now I’m over it.
Sell it and move on! I'm getting into the 6.5prc world because of accuracy, recoil and ballistics. Seems like a super solid all around elk and deer gun. Sure the 7prc had WAY more knock down, but the 6.5prc will beef out to 1000 yards at the range and will drop a deer and elk at 500.

I went the 300 PRC route and a stout load of N570 beneath 215 hybrids is the ticket (2950 fps). Could not get the usual suspects of H1000 and Retumbo to group consistently.

Your 7PRC is making me drool. Great looking rifle! I'd love to build one now. :)

Speaking of the AW2 reamer, I had to order one for my 300PRC as I was getting the dreaded clickers at around the 4th reload of my ADG brass. I was pressed for time and couldn't send it out to a smith, so I ordered the T-handle extension and some cutting oil and went to town in my garage.

Talk about a butt-clenching moment, trying to ream a chamber by hand. I took it very slow and it all worked out in the end, however. No more clickers and the chamber is nice and polished when looking through the borescope. Headspace is as it should and a quick test of a go/no go gauge shows I did not mess anything up. :D

Sell it and move on! I'm getting into the 6.5prc world because of accuracy, recoil and ballistics. Seems like a super solid all around elk and deer gun. Sure the 7prc had WAY more knock down, but the 6.5prc will beef out to 1000 yards at the range and will drop a deer and elk at 500.
Reconsider the 6.5 PRC. Really needs a mid length action to do it justice. Go with a 6.5 SS or a 6.5 SST. Better velocity and fits in a short action much better. Shooting the 6.5 PRC and SST side by side I also noticed less recoil with my SST

Reconsider the 6.5 PRC. Really needs a mid length action to do it justice. Go with a 6.5 SS or a 6.5 SST. Better velocity and fits in a short action much better. Shooting the 6.5 PRC and SST side by side I also noticed less recoil with my SST
6.5 SST, cannot say I've heard of that one?? Hard part is. Though I have the components to reload, minus the press and all, I haven't reloaded anything yet. And I doubt there's factory ammo for that lol

6.5 SST, cannot say I've heard of that one?? Hard part is. Though I have the components to reload, minus the press and all, I haven't reloaded anything yet. And I doubt there's factory ammo for that lol
You’re right you would need to reload for it. It’s a 6.5 Sherman Short Tactical. Sherman basically designed what the 6.5 PRC should’ve been. The PRC just needed to be a hair shorter.

I went the 300 PRC route and a stout load of N570 beneath 215 hybrids is the ticket (2950 fps). Could not get the usual suspects of H1000 and Retumbo to group consistently.

Your 7PRC is making me drool. Great looking rifle! I'd love to build one now. :)

Speaking of the AW2 reamer, I had to order one for my 300PRC as I was getting the dreaded clickers at around the 4th reload of my ADG brass. I was pressed for time and couldn't send it out to a smith, so I ordered the T-handle extension and some cutting oil and went to town in my garage.

Talk about a butt-clenching moment, trying to ream a chamber by hand. I took it very slow and it all worked out in the end, however. No more clickers and the chamber is nice and polished when looking through the borescope. Headspace is as it should and a quick test of a go/no go gauge shows I did not mess anything up. :D
Sell the 300 PRC barrel and have your rifle rebarreled to a 7 PRC. My gunsmith can spin you up a pre-fit barrel and ship it to you.

Edit: sorry that was meant for 3TOE

Sell the 300 PRC barrel and have your rifle rebarreled to a 7 PRC. My gunsmith can spin you up a pre-fit barrel and ship it to you.

Edit: sorry that was meant for 3TOE
I’m definitely considering something along those lines. Broadhead replaced his barrel & I witnessed the results on his rifle.
I personally think the barrel on my rifle is a little too short to stabilize the bullet. I must have tried 5 or so different bullets & my rifle didn’t particularly care for any of them. I may have just bought a lemon.

I’m definitely considering something along those lines. Broadhead replaced his barrel & I witnessed the results on his rifle.
I personally think the barrel on my rifle is a little too short to stabilize the bullet. I must have tried 5 or so different bullets & my rifle didn’t particularly care for any of them. I may have just bought a lemon.
What brand, length, and twist did you go with? I have a 22” proof on my 300 NMI and it shoots great with the 215s and 245s

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom