New 5-Year Dates and Season Structure

So you are saying that there is zero areas that are overcrowded with residents? Not sure I believe that. Put liberal resident OTC caps so when an area gets “hot”, it doesn’t get overcrowded. I dont see anything wrong with that.

But I’m really getting ahead of myself. We have to wait and see how this change works out. And it will be 5 years before any change is made going forward anyway.

I didn’t have a vote. But when they sent me a survey I chose 75/25 res/ NR and OTC resident archery and limited NR. I think that could be the start of something to make it a primo season again.

As to the later dates and rut hunt thing, I believe it’s the bigger numbers of tags they have added to the late seasons that have made killing a trophy rare. Not the dates.

So you are saying that there is zero areas that are overcrowded with residents? Not sure I believe that. Put liberal resident OTC caps so when an area gets “hot”, it doesn’t get overcrowded. I dont see anything wrong with that.

But I’m really getting ahead of myself. We have to wait and see how this change works out. And it will be 5 years before any change is made going forward anyway.

I didn’t have a vote. But when they sent me a survey I chose 75/25 res/ NR and OTC resident archery and limited NR. I think that could be the start of something to make it a primo season again.

As to the later dates and rut hunt thing, I believe it’s the bigger numbers of tags they have added to the late seasons that have made killing a trophy rare. Not the dates.
Tx
The change starts in 2025. Earlier you asked what units will be OTC? It was cleared up at todays meeting that all existing OTC units are remaining the same.

Also to be clear, I had seen those same numbers above before. And I agree the NR archery numbers are creating a problem.

But mark my words: in 2025 you will not see a big drop in numbers of archery licenses sold to NRs. It’s a start, but you will have to bring pressure to reduce the numbers. The area I hunt is already limited for archery. And most years every single resident who applies draws. But they still sell lots of tags to NRs.

Last edited:
It’s not a resident crowd you have to worry about. Never has been.

The fact you have to “put in “ will deter some for a bit. There will still be leftovers I’m sure until all of this gets some traction. Then, at some point when people don’t want to stay home, it will eventually be like WY, the demand will sky rocket.
It is close to 50/50 now so probably have to kind of worry about both! I am a non-resident and like the decision they made, a good first step to see how it works.

Don't get too worked up by debbie downer Orion. He does nothing but complain, here, there, and everywhere. He's all over bowsite, but Its clear, he doesn't even bowhunt. He just likes to get on every forum and p1ss on your parade.

The division must laugh when he show's up. But.......... Sometimes the internet doesn't give you the full perspective on a person. Hopefully, our very own (no matter which forum you inhabit) debbie downer is much better in person, but I have my doubts.
Danny boy you leave Orion alone! See Orion I’m sticking up for you, let’s discuss how I get on the bots list now please 🙏

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom