negative wasatch talk

patea

i have a pending cc charge from utah and think i may have drawn a wasatch tag. i have read post that said elk numbers are way down in wasatch mtns. i was wondering even with elk numbers down how does it compare to other non LE units. I'm from louisiana and was hoping the hunt would still be decent for a average six point bull. I'm not a trophy hunter and my dad is coming along . the tag we applied for is rifle during late sept and was hoping to show my dad some rutting action thanks

You will still find rutting action and will be able to find a 300 class bull maybe bigger if you hunt hard and get lucky. Numbers are WAY down as you've heard. This unit was once a premier unit....now not so much. Everyone is just saddened at what this unit once was compared to what it is today. Good luck

The unit is big enough that there will always be big bulls killed on it. The numbers are way down, but it's still a fun hunt. I saw 6 point bulls regularly up there last year. If a 300" bull is big enough for you, you'll have the time of your life. There is a good chance for 330+ if you hit it hard. Good luck!

I'll tell you who it was . . . it was that D@MN Sasquatch!

Compared to Non-LE units, it is heaven on earth. In many non-LE units, you can hunt the entire hunt and never see an elk. With your Sept tag, you will encounter Bulls, and some good ones. You and your dad are bound to have a fantastic time. It's beautiful country.

I would post a new thread asking for some direction in the unit. Lots of guys have hunted that unit and could steer you in a good direction to hunt. Good luck

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

Sure numbers are down but how many good bulls are you planning on shooting? Haha
There are still Bulls to be had on the unit and some are pretty darn good.
We've hunted it, as a family, several times over the years. Most recently was 2 years ago and we experienced the "night of a thousand bugles"!
Pure "elk magic" is the only way to describe what we heard and saw.
Come on out, have the experience of a lifetime, wear yourself out to the bone and go back home with a smile on your face and a fine bull in the bag!
Utah is a pretty fine elk State!
Best,
Zeke

Pat,

Be aware, the rifle LE hunt is NOT late Sepember this year..

Opens Sept. 12th.. Might close this year before the 'Heavy' rut hits.

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

LAST EDITED ON May-19-15 AT 11:36AM (MST)[p]If you want to kill a BIG bull hire Berrysblaster (Strawberry Bay Outfitters). They run a first class operation and Berrysblaster spends more time watching/scouting elk than anyone i've ever met. He does it for the joy of it, not for the money.

I hunted with them last year on the Wasatch archery hunt and had an amazing experience. Killed a really good archery bull and met some of the nicest people in the business.

PM me if you want more details.

You will be hunting the rut. It is not hard to find a nice six point bull on the Wasatch. Being from Louisiana you will have a blast. The elk on that mountain can be extremely vocal. I have seen several very nice bulls when I have been up there hunting spike elk. Just take the tag and have fun. The success rate is pretty good for how many hunters the state packs on the area.

Dillon

I also drew. Archery le elk. After researching for the past few days, I'm not sure what to think. When I got the e-mail I was hopping around like a mad man, just like when I drew my Gila tag!
Now I have my head cocked to the side like huh? I have been putting in for all the western states for years, spent way too much time researching this stuff Then when I draw It's like, Dang should I even go?
I think in the end all the premiere tags can get over hyped. Probably none of them are worth all the years and money it takes.
BUT it's what I live for! I LOVE ELK. I have been elk hunting every year at least once for the past 24 years and have only killed 1 bull in the 320" range. They are harder to get than most people think. I will be happy If I can just get into the elk. Maybe see a few big ones, or maybe even a monster! I too will be Thrilled with a nice big 300" I can't wait!!!

I think?

>I also drew. Archery le elk.
>After researching for the past
>few days, I'm not sure
>what to think. When I
>got the e-mail I was
>hopping around like a mad
>man, just like when I
>drew my Gila tag!
>Now I have my head cocked
>to the side like huh?
>I have been putting in
>for all the western states
>for years, spent way too
>much time researching this stuff
>Then when I draw It's
>like, Dang should I even
>go?
>I think in the end all
>the premiere tags can get
>over hyped. Probably none of
>them are worth all the
>years and money it takes.
>
>BUT it's what I live for!
>I LOVE ELK. I have
>been elk hunting every year
>at least once for the
>past 24 years and have
>only killed 1 bull in
>the 320" range. They are
>harder to get than most
>people think. I will be
>happy If I can just
>get into the elk. Maybe
>see a few big ones,
>or maybe even a monster!
>I too will be Thrilled
>with a nice big 300"
>I can't wait!!!
>
>I think?

Don't get down. I would rather have the Wasatch LE Archery tag than a
Gila tag.

My 67 year old dad drew last year. We are from idaho and had only been there once. We had to hunt hard but he killed a bull on our 16th day which was the last day of the season. We had a blast. The hunt may not be what it was bit it was a ton of fun. We were into bulls everyday. Getting a close shot in all that oak brush was challenging but we'll worth it. there are some great and knowledgeable guys here who will point you in the right direction.

Our hunt will be shown in the full draw film tour. Check it out when it comes near you. You can watch our trailer here:
http:// fulldrawfilmtour.com/2015-filmmakers/gritty-bowmen/

You're in for a good time. I drew the muzzy tag in 2013 and killed a real good 6x6 that went mid 340's. My boy got lucky and drew the early rifle tag last year and we killed him an awesome 13 year old 5x6 that went mid 340's as well. Plenty of elk and plenty of rut action. We spent quite a bit of time in several different parts of the unit and had no problem finding good 6x6's in any of them. I'd be glad to help in any way. Send a PM if interested.

Overall elk numbers are down, but you will have a great time. Lots of elk still on the unit. Lots of mature bulls still on the unit. And with the moisture we're getting, I think antler growth has great potential this year.

If 300-320 is your goal, you can meet that. I won't say 'easily', but there are a lot of bulls like that on this unit. You should be able to find one, and maybe even one a lot bigger. I saw 7 bulls that I can specifically remember that would have gone more than 320 during the muzzy hunt last year. There may have been more.

It's still a great tag. You'll have a blast!

^^^^^Still a great tag---NO.. An OK tag? yes..IMO..^^^^^

One, Two more years and it's toast-----Problly have to close it.

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

Don't worry about negative talk, it's a good tag to have. Plenty of bulls, you'll have a great hunt.

Given the facts and reality that is the unit now this is absolutely a 'great hunt'. It will remain a great hunt and is nowhere near a shutdown. It does have some very significant problems that are being addressed and faces a dimmer future than it would have if we could have avoided the knee jerk management strategies that have been implemented in recent years.

Here is some evidence for you, last year I counted, I mean physically saw and documented 1,300 head. I filmed the 2nd largest bull I've ever seen on the hoof, and we went 18/19 on our hunts, and 8 of those Bulls were 330 or better. Does that sound like it's close to a shutdown?

https://www.facebook.com/strawberrybayoutfitters

Blaster,
Those success rates and Average age harvested are going to drop.

The biggest probblem the Wasatch elk face now is recruitment..

Kill all the cows, you eventually run out of bulls to hunt.

I've spent 25 day the last 2 months running ALL over the south half of the Wasatch.

When I'm seeing more bulls than cows, there is a probblem!

Cow numbers are as low as they were in the late 80's in many areas.....NOT good!

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

While I respect and appreciate what goofyelk says, I don't think it's the doom and gloom, across the unit, that he's projecting.
There is no doubt that the fish and game needs to revisit the "management" practice and stop killing all the cows!
Still, with that said, I wish I had that permit.....might be another story in 5-10 years unless we get some changes in place.
Zeke

>
>Don't get down. I would
>rather have the Wasatch LE
>Archery tag than a
>Gila tag.

I've had both. 333 bull on the wasatch and a 348 bull from the Gila. kinda similar. Lots of tags given out, occasional 380+ bull but mostly 300" 6pts. the main difference is Utah allows rifle hunts in the rut. but this year the rifle hunt is over mighty early. If I could have a Gila rifle during September, game on! For archery I'd take the Gila, seasons goes till end of September and i think more 320+ bulls. for rifle and muzzleloader, probably the wasatch, but may change due to the slaughter.

I agree goofy the unit is in bad condition as far as cow elk and there is no getting around the fact that this will catch up with bull numbers. Its going to happen within the next couple of years . Berryblaster we know you have a reputation to keep up for your guide services up there and I am sure no matter the numbers you guys will be the top notch guides for the unit. But to think the last two years of cow slaughters and going on three will have no effect on quality and quantity in bulls that is wishful thinking

you gents are right, it will catch up to us. But it's not here now, and to tell or suggest a fella drew a crap tag right now is poor in my eyes. It's a great hunt still with quite a few great bulls to be had. 3-4 years from now I dunno what it will be.

What I'm suggesting here is that maybe Goof you could tone down the rhetoric and recognize that because one place on the unit is devoid of elk (diamond fork) it doesn't mean the entire place is. This week I'm up to 64 cows,(should be 2-300 in those areas) I've counted them. So there are elk there, and with some careful decisions in the short term future I am absolutely confident that we still have the numbers in place to rebound with little negative effect.

If things don't change and we continue to hammer away, then the sportsmen will feel the negative effects for years to come. We hope to avoid that, which is why we have fought continually for the last 3 years for a reduction in cow tags and change in management strategy. We have worked to get TV programs, radio programs, and social media aware of the issues. We've pushed for better communication between biologists and sportsmen, we've sat in on and worked with the wasatch committee. We've attended the RAC meetings, worked with the WB.

We are doing all we can because we see what is happening just the same as you fella's do, but it's counterproductive to suggest things are worse than they are. You cut your legs out from under you when you spout half truths, rhetoric, or exaggeration. Those of us who hunt the unit religiously, and are successful see through that immediately, biologists and DNR employees who are on the ground throughout the year see through it, and people who you talk too see through it.

If you wish to be effective, educate yourselves on the success rates and trends for the entire unit. Document numbers of elk you see, where you see them, and what they are. Do it for years so that you can show that something isn't right. Understanding what the real problem is, is the only way to find solutions. You cannot fix a problem you don't understand in the first place.

AND FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY LEARN TO DIFFERENTIATE BETWEEN THE PROBLEMS FACING THE BULLS, AND THE PROBLEMS FACING THE COWS!!!!!

Right now this isn't about the bulls, in a couple of years it might be, for now it's about the cows. And don't take that to mean that I'm short sighted about this. I'm basing that off the numbers I've documented over the last couple of years. We have the elk in place to rebound, with little negative effect. Definitely not the numbers we should have, but there are enough.
'

https://www.facebook.com/strawberrybayoutfitters

I just see all the negative doom and gloom as a plus for me! Better draw odds! Im with berry on this. The cows are no doubt in trouble if something doesnt change but you know there is other places to hunt on the wasatch then the south end. This last winter i seen close to 800 head over in the tabby mountain wma area. People need to expand their horizons a little. Diamond fork isnt the only place that holds elk. My wife has the muzzy tag this year and while i might poke around the south end a little there are other places that holds good bulls.

This has been a good informative thread. I appreciate berryblaster and a few others for helping to clear it up a little. The glass is again half full.

Yessir. The glass is indeed half full but there's a small crack in the bottom which needs to be plugged.

WE ARE KILLING TOO MANY COWS AND IT WILL CATCH UP TO US SOONER THAN LATER. On that we all agree.

But for now, we have good bulls to hunt but we need to keep pressure on the wildlife managers to slow the flow!

To all who have a tag; have a great hunt!
Zeke

There are still plenty of good six points to go around. I was quite impressed with the bulls after the hunts on the wasatch winter range this year. Rifle hunt is super early this year. You may or may not get a ton of rut action.

>
>>
>>Don't get down. I would
>>rather have the Wasatch LE
>>Archery tag than a
>>Gila tag.
>
>
>I've had both. 333 bull
>on the wasatch and a
>348 bull from the Gila.
> kinda similar. Lots of
>tags given out, occasional 380+
>bull but mostly 300" 6pts.
> the main difference
>is Utah allows rifle hunts
>in the rut. but
>this year the rifle hunt
>is over mighty early.
>If I could have a
>Gila rifle during September, game
>on! For archery I'd
>take the Gila, seasons goes
>till end of September and
>i think more 320+ bulls.
> for rifle and muzzleloader,
>probably the wasatch, but may
>change due to the slaughter.
>

Similar quality bulls, but the Wasatch has a much higher kill rate (30-50 percent higher).

Season dates are fine, if your not in screaming bulls then you better relocate cause your not in them. You should see numerous 300" type bulls daily, and if your lucky a dandy.

My thread has gone dead so I thought I would ask here.
I have about a 8-10 day window to hunt the archery season. When would you locals hunt? I usually wait till the 20th or so in other states to hit the rut, I am an experienced caller and nothing gets me more pumped up than talking to the elk. But this season ends on the 11th.?

Also I am confused about the extended season thing? Can I bow hunt the entire unit after the 11th on this? how does this work? Should I wait and compete with the gun hunters so I can catch the rut?

LAST EDITED ON May-29-15 AT 11:45AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON May-29-15 AT 11:44?AM (MST)

>Do you have a archery only
>tag?

Yes. Season is Aug 15 - Sept 11
the web site says it is new for this year if you are unsuccessful in the archery season you can get an extended season tag good till Dec 15th. It's weird and confusing LOL.

Extended archery opportunity:
This year,
for the first time, limited-entry deer and elk
archery hunters who don't harvest during the
limited-entry season will also be allowed to
hunt extended archery seasons

if you don't fill you LE tag during your hunt, you can use it for the extended archery areas this year, not your hunt area.

>if you don't fill you LE
>tag during your hunt, you
>can use it for the
>extended archery areas this year,
>not your hunt area.

OK Thanks. I kept reading It is for the Wasatch front area? No clue what that means LOL

So Any opinions on what dates during the archery season you would hunt? Again with a 8-10 day window.

If your wanting rut activity they you will want the last 10 days of the season, but even then it could be slow.

A lot of people have luck early by setting on water.

Jake H. BIG BONE HUNTING Page on Facebook.
458738e374dfcb10.jpg

OK it looks like we are leaning toward going early. I guess we will be there on the 15th. I am not sold on the idea but with the full moon on the 29th and the crowds of people around Labor Day It may be the way to go? Any Idea on how to find water holes with out scouting on foot? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Google Earth and good Topo's will help you find water.And there is plenty of water on the Wasatch. Be aware that every archery hunter that decides to hunt the Wasatch with a deer tag (limited quantity) or Spike/antlerless elk tag (unlimited) will be trying to join you on the water. You are better off trying to intercept them coming or going.
There are also a lot of areas you can spot and stalk. Good luck, have fun.

Crowds of people around water, Should make the elk pretty thirst so hunt water the day after.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom