mule deer unit 101/102

coyoteman5

i have hunted region h for alot of years it has drasically went down hill every year not very pleased with the F&G so i thought about trying maybe the 101 or 102 unit which of the two would you guys recommend

I have guided hunters in both areas and if it were me I would do area 102. tough draw odds but if you get the license you will have an awesome hunt. Lots of bucks to look at, from 150 - 180 and if you have patience you can find a few pushing 195-200. takes time and alot of glassing. neither area is what it was 10 years ago, alot more traffic out in these areas. but there are still some real good bucks. if I were you I would focus on 102 and pray to the hunting gods for a license, I do every year. Pray that I might draw a tag instead of taking people to hunt out there.

I hunted 101 several years ago. Never found anything over 22" and spent a fair amount of time during the archery hunt and early rifle hunt, looking. Unfortunately I missed the later part of the rifle hunt. The roads turn to cr@p if it rains, which also created some problems for me. The deer densities are low but they have cut tag numbers significantly since then, which may help some. I would consider trying it again and doing things a bit different and spend more time in later season. See lots of other wildlife including desert elk, which is cool.

Both areas have their own goods and bads. Traditionally 102 has had more, and better quality of deer while the majority of deer in 101 were really crab clawed and there were alot of older three points instead of typical fours like in 102. But just in the last five of six years that three point and crab claw gene has moved into alot of 102. So as far as the deer, I think 102 still edges 101 in quality and amount, but over the last two years I have been hearing alot about a deer people are calling "mongo" that hangs out in 101 I (think) have caught one glimpse of hime and he is a hog. The travel, and roads in both areas suck when the weather is wet, but both have a lot of access and not a lot of private land. The biggest difference in areas is the chances you have of getting the tag. 101 chances are good you will get to hunt, 102, you'll have lots of spare time in late oct. to plan next years hunt.

I have guided hunters in both areas and if it were me I would do area 102. tough draw odds but if you get the license you will have an awesome hunt. Lots of bucks to look at, from 150 - 180 and if you have patience you can find a few pushing 195-200. takes time and alot of glassing. neither area is what it was 10 years ago, alot more traffic out in these areas. but there are still some real good bucks. if I were you I would focus on 102 and pray to the hunting gods for a license, I do every year. Pray that I might draw a tag instead of taking people to hunt out there.
Would 11 PP get a non resident drawn for 102

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom