Manti late Rifle

bullchsr13

My wife drew the tag this year! Her first elk tag! She's in her mid 50s, good physical condition, no marathon runner. I'm looking for areas that might be more reasonably accessible for her. I'm also debating camping or staying in a hotel. Any suggestions or recommendations?

My buddy and I have that tag too. Maybe we'll see you down there. We're hoping there are a few pigs left down there after all the ones that have been shot the past few weeks. Congrats on the tag. Hope she kills a slammer!

As you said, her challenge will be finding an isolated late season bull. They seem to head for nasty canyons or private land. I hunted the Manti Late with a friend several years back and he hunted every day without finding a good bull. The Manti is a big unit so your accommodations choices will depend on where you hunt. I'd try to talk to as many people as you can who have had late season success down there. Find out where they found their bulls and plan your hunt around those places.
Best of luck.

Thanks for your input, I've had communications with a few guys that have hunted earlier seasons and a couple that hunted the late season. So far I have points of interest that run from the North end of the unit to the South and both East and West sides, high and low. My map looks like somebody randomly threw darts at it! All to be expected with good numbers of elk. I'm just trying to make a decision on which area to focus and start concentrating my efforts in that direction. I'm assuming most of the early season information I have won't be of much help during the late season.

Can?t help much on the Manti specifically but I've been on a bunch of late hunts in the 14 years theyve been around. Best advice is don't be stuck on an area or put all of your focus into it. Move, glass, move, glass. Cover a lot of ground. Don?t get obsessed with a spot just because it looks a likely spot for them. They can be high, low or anywhere between. They will leave themselves visible that time of year and if you're not seeing them, get to another spot pronto.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom