Lyman Great Plains and Hawken Renegade Powder

Tikka

Long Time Member
Hello guys, it’s been well over 35 years since I’ve shot either one of these guns… I don’t even remember what powder I use back then although I know it was 90 g by volume… I have a muzzleloader antelope tag and I’m going to use one of the two guns to hunt with…

What powder you guys recommend I start trying?

Back when I shot my prehistoric front stuffer, I used Triple-7. I also have a can of Pyrodex, so I must have used that too.

You got caps for that thing? Let me know if you need any of that stuff. Might take me a minute to find it. :ROFLMAO:

If I had half your $, I’d buy a modern $400 gun that used 209’s and BH 209. You’ll still have enough money for beer to sight it in.:)

Last edited:
Back when I shot my prehistoric front stuffer, I used Triple-7. I also have a can of Pyrodex, so I must have used that too.

You got caps for that thing? Let me know if you need any of that stuff. Might take me a minute to find it. :ROFLMAO:

If I had half your $, I’d buy a modern $400 gun that used 209’s and BH 209. You’ll still have enough money for beer to sight it in.:)
Somewhere around here I have caps, like you I just have to find them…😳 if not I’ll be calling…🤣

Trust me, the modern front stuffer will be along for the ride…😁

IMG_2048.jpeg

Those old style muzzleloaders need real blackpowder. If you use pyrodex or 777 or other powders they will work, but you will get hang fires.
I use ff or fff goex BP in my Lyman GPs.

75-85 (90??) grains 777 2F and a squat conical will be in the zone.

100 grains and a roundball should do the job too.

No vote on the pyrodex, too much corrosion.

Of course, black powder is always the historically suitable option.

75-85 (90??) grains 777 2F and a squat conical will be in the zone.

100 grains and a roundball should do the job too.

No vote on the pyrodex, too much corrosion.

Of course, black powder is always the historically suitable option.
Agreed. Those slower twist barrels won’t like a real long (heavy) bullet.

Hello guys, it’s been well over 35 years since I’ve shot either one of these guns… I don’t even remember what powder I use back then although I know it was 90 g by volume… I have a muzzleloader antelope tag and I’m going to use one of the two guns to hunt with…

I shoot 90gr of 2F triple seven out of my 54 cal Lyman GPR percussion gun with good results out to 100 yards. I’m shooting patched round balls. Never had a hang fire. My GPR has the Lyman tang peep sight, it really helps. Killed a moose and two elk with that setup.

What states the Antelope?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom