Lope Question - Pressure

J

jpine

We plan to use a decoy again this year on BLM where we've had some success on lopes...not record book bucks but none the less fun to hunt. Have heard that bucks will come in to a waving hankee and closer to a decoy. Wondering how skittish and responsive they are after a week of hunting pressure.

In the past we've had to work hard to take our animals on the second week of pressure as they bolt at first sight of movement a half mile away. Will be hunting around Gillette this year assuming we fill our mulie tags.

Thoughts anyone?

I also have a decoy, but haven't had much luck unless it was during the rut. If I can contain myself I try to hold out as long as I can to let the rest of the hunters get thier goat. Usually, after the first and second weekends things settle down.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-24-07 AT 08:34PM (MST)[p]First 2-4 days they will come in on some of those tricks ,but after being hunted they will not come within a quarter of a mile of you .Then late in the season they come down and will respond to the white flag or even a decoy sometimes.

Can't honestly say anything about a decoy as it just doesn't feel like it's a necessary item to pack around (unless you plan to bowhunt them). We typically hunt goats mid September when the rut seems to be going along fairly well but it sounds like you're looking at mid to late October to chase goats and the rut will probably be over by then. It seems to me that the white t-shirt trick works during the rut when a buck has been chased out of a harem and is moving on. Other times the herd buck will be curious enough to take a look but then go gather his girls and leave.

As for pressure, I personally don't think it affects the hunting all that much. We almost always hunt the first week of the season and have been really sucessful. As for goats being skittish I think there are two things to think about. The first is if the goats are somewhat near ranches, well traveled dirt roads, small towns, etc. they seam to tolerate people and/or vehicles better but get way out in the middle of BLM where they rarely see folks, then they tend to bust out easy. No worries though, they really don't run all that far and you can usually get out of your rig, hoof it and find them in the general area. The second item I think busts goats out more than anything is a white vehicle. Unless you have snow on the ground a white vehicle seems to make them run from a long ways off. Had one the first year we hunted Wyoming and they ran alot. From then on my dark gray pickup really seemed to make them easier to approach. By the end of October they should be pretty well bunched up and when you locate the heard there's probably a hundred or so goat eyes to contend with which will make it all the more challenging.

If I ever draw a deer and goat tag again in the same year I'll hunt them late just for the sake of a different challenge. Goats are probably my favorite animal to hunt and they taste dang good to boot!

Hope this helps.

Todd.

Are there any range cattle where you hunt? Ever consider a black steer cutout??? The wind is a p.i.t.a. though!! 1/4 inch underlayment works pretty good.

I would suggest that once the antelope are spotted using a camo umbrella works great. Watch the wind though! Maybe this will help or not. I have used it in the past when the animals were taking off at any movement they saw. You can really get close. With a rifle its even easier. Hope this helps.

Good idea, will give it a try. The lope tags are for the end of the hunt for mulies, will be fun, can't wait...a week and a half away!

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom