Leupold HD Spotter

B

byron

I am looking at getting a new spotter and I am looking at the Leupold 20-40x60. And it looks like there is a new HD model. Is it worth the extra money over the original. I have a Nikon Spotter XLII right now and it has been a good scope but I would like to upgrade. The Swarovski is not in the budget but I might be able to get the HD Leupold. Is it going to be a noticeable difference over my Nikon, I plan on going to look through them but would like your opinions as well. Size and weight are important to me because I mostly backpack hunt, but if there are any other scopes in that middle range that you recommend I would love to hear about them. Thanks in advance for your help.

Byron

I have this spotting scope and it is the best for my needs. There was no way I could afford a Swarovski or Lieca so this was the next best choice. I really like the unique shape of it because it doesn't take up much room in my pack. The one drawback to me is the 60mm objective lens. My buddy has a STS80 and it very nice at the 30-40x range whereas mine works well at 20-30x. I find myself using the lower 12-20x settings a lot to scan an area for critters.

I have the same spotter as well. IMO the Hd is better as I compared them side by side. I would have to go along with the previous post and add that I am able to keep clarity out to about 35x. After that it gets a little rough where the swaro hold steady. The one thing I love is using it for filming. The digital camera attachment you can get for it is great. I can have my camera filming through it within 10 seconds.

I am also going to buy another spotter because I really do think 60x would be useful for where and the way I hunt. But if you're paying full price for the Leupold I would probably look at something else because for the money you can get better. I love Leupold rifle scopes, but I still think they need a little more work on their binos and spotters.

Rackem

http://www.needgod.com/

Thanks for the replies, I have been doing some research and for about the same amount of money I could get a Pentax 80mm or a Nikon fieldscope ED in 60 mm. These are not as small and lightweight but I think they would be a better scope. But the size of that Leupold is really nice. I would love the Swarovski but 1000 bucks is already more than I can afford, but that has never stopped me before.

Byron

Just go for the swaro or the leica. WELL worth the $$$. They are so much better than anything else out there. I most recently used a swaro STS 65 with a 20-60x variable eye piece, clear all the way to 60x. IMO you shouldn't waste your money on the cheaper scopes, you will wish you had better and will end up buying the swaro or leica anyway.

ThumpinRM, I am starting to think the same thing. My buddy has the STS 65 and I never should have looked through it.

Thumpin is full of it. Not because of what he said, but just because of who he is :p Kidding Woundy, don't get all upset. He is right they are the best, but I'm in the same boat you are in your first post. There has to be a happy medium where you can get the quality at a little lower price.

Before you make a decision I would try to look through the 20-45x Minox MD 62 ED or the 20-60x Pentax PF 65 ED. I think you'll be suprised by the clarity of the ED glass.

But I think the other thing you need to consider is the warranty too. I think Leica and Leupold have the best warranties, and then Swaro, but the Leupold glass doesn't compare. Hard decision to make. Now I'm not sure which one I'm going to get......

Rackem

http://www.needgod.com/

You do not need a spotter Rackem. You are blind in one eye and can not see out of the other!!! Just kidding. But you should really just spring for the swaro or leica. Well worth it.

If you really want a Swarovski, be patient and I'll bet you can find a clean used one for what you'll pay for the Leupold HD. I scored a Swarovski STS 65 with 20-60x eyepiece, Crooked Horn spotter/tripod case, Swarovski window mount, and a Slik tripod for $850.00 shipped a couple months ago...

Best of luck in your search.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom