I need some help picking a scope.

I am looking for a scope that would work best for me. I am wanting too shoot steel out too 600 yds. Cant shoot any further where i shoot. Also have hogs come out where i shoot. I am putting the scope on my Browning Xbolt Hells Canyon Speed LR 280AI rifle. I have been looking at Leupolds.
VX3 HD 4.5X14X40 CDS
VX5 HD 3X15X44 CDS
Huskemaw 4x16x42.
Also looked at higher end Sig scope. And the range finders . That works with each other. I have taken deer out to 450 yds. I didnt know which crosshair would work best for this job. Should i just go head with a Leupold? I know the Huskemaw scope are good too. Or would the Sig scope and Range finder would work for this job? I am planning on using a bullet in the 162 gr up to 180 gr bullet weight.

For the money it's hard to beat Leupold. next step up would be Nightforce for me. if I wanted to get rid of a lot of cash Schmidt & Bender is tops.

I shoot a 4.5x14 Leupold out to 600 and it's fine for all around hunting. if your primary use is precision shooting at that range I'd step up to a higher magnification and at least a 50mm objective.

My long range gun has a Nightforce 6.5x22 and it's perfect to any practical range in my opinion. more magnification might be nice but I don't want the added bulk and weight and half the time it's all you can use with the heat waves anyway.

Take a look at the Trijicon Credo HX 2.5-15. Very good reputation for durability, Glass, and repeatable and accurate dialing. Eurooptic sells them for around the same price as the VX5.

I switched to a trijicon. I don't love the eyebox/relief, but the glass is great and it is ALWAYS on. Seems like some other scopes might be a couple inches to the left and the next year adjust a couple inches to the right. The Trijicon is always on.

I switched to a trijicon. I don't love the eyebox/relief, but the glass is great and it is ALWAYS on. Seems like some other scopes might be a couple inches to the left and the next year adjust a couple inches to the right. The Trijicon is always on.
Which model do you use?

It's our pleasure, as a long standing supporting vendor here, to discuss the different available options and special opportunities with you. Please give a call, 516-217-1000, when you have the time. Thanks

Look at Zeiss V4, for around a grand they are tough to beat. If I am spending more than that go straight to Nightforce.
Zeiss v4 in the 4-16 44mm obj. Around 20 oz and all the scope you need- can mount it fairly low also.

Anything vx3 and down has gone to trash. They put a new film to help make the glass look more clear from in store lighting. And they don't hold their zero for chit. Zeiss, vortex, and others. Athlon isn't that amazing imo.

I would look hard at the Trijicon Credo HX 2.5-15x42.

Spend a couple minutes on Rokslide looking at the reviews, tracking and holding zero about Leupolds and it might change your mind. Deffiently not the same Leupolds from 20 years ago.

look at the top end of your price range then start looking at the ones that are nicer than that. keep doing that until you get to a point where where you have what you actually want. it will save you money in the long run since that's what your going to do anyway buying 3 scopes till your happy.

how much you like a scope on the bench doesn't mean $hit. the clarity of glass, light gathering capabilities and internal function won't prove itself until you've found that buck you've been looking for your whole life with 10 minutes of shooting light left at 500 yards.you can never have "too nice" a scope on your rifle

Nightforce, and Schmidt & Bender are great, but if you want to keep it light weight, go with a Leupold Mk5. They're awesome.

I’m very happy with my VX5-HD and I have had good experiences with Leopold. They fixed my eyepiece on a spotting scope and replaced lost turret caps, free of charge and no questions asked.

Not a Leupold worth owning anymore IMO. Find a Trijicon or Nightforce in your budget and check scope worries off your list. With a good 1913 mounting system, not Talley’s!

Not sure the Leupold are crap, to the contrary imo. I put a VX-6 4×24 illuminated reticle with CDS on my 300WM. Love it , agree with Pickett and don't buy a marginal scope that you will someday upgrade and waste money. I was fortunate and got in the VIP program with Leupold which dropped my price @$600, still set me back $1700 if my memory is correct. The CDS system simplifies actual hunting situations so much .

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom