Leopold vx 3

liecabucks

Very Active Member
I have a VX3 4.5x14 that I'm having problems with. It is shooting double groups when I take it to the range. I put another scope on it and it solved the problem. I have already sent it back to Leopold for waranty work and they supposedly fixed the problem but its obvious they havn't. I'm wondering if the scope just can't take the abuse of the 300 RUM. Would I be better of to go to the Mark IV or just throw the leupy out the window? I would like a scope with the LR turrets.

I'm not sure what you mean by double groups. As far as the VX-3 not being able to handle the abuse, I have over 600 rounds through a .300 RUM topped with a VX-2. When you change scopes, are you using the same bases and mounts for both? Mounting scopes seems simple, but I had my smith do mine, aligned, lapped and torqued properly. mtmuley

By double groups I mean it will place 2 or three in the same spot then 2 or three and inch or so to the right or left. I have my gun smith do everything when it comes to mounting and lapping my scope and he is very particular about it from what I have observed. And yes the same bases and mounts are used for both scopes. I talked to him the other day and he told me that he has sent back three different B&C 4.5X14's in the last year or so. You would think the Leupold should handle the blow or at least I would think so. This scope has had about the same amount of rounds through it....about 500 or so. Suggestions?

LAST EDITED ON May-14-09 AT 08:43PM (MST)[p]Guess if it has been to Leupold once, you either try sending it again, or maybe try it on a buddys rifle, OR, hell, send it to me. LOL mtmuley Also, maybe it's the guns fault? You say it shoots well with a different scope. Are you shooting the same number of rounds in the same time frame? Guns do strange things also.

I shoot at the range a lot and I'm pretty particular about how I shoot my rifles, (sequence of shots and such). I'm 99% its the scope.....back to the original question though, am i gonna be happy with a Mark IV? and is it that much better quality?

I'd put the scope on another accurate rifle and see if it shoots double groups. If it does, send it and copies of the targets to Leupold to fix it again.

When you get the scope back, sell it and get a Nightforce for peace of mind, cuz you'll always be doubting that Leupy.

RR

I had a problem with a Vari-x III, I couldn't get that scope to shoot a tight group, needless to say, I bought a Mark IV and it gave me amazing groups. I am sold on the Mark IV's. I use mine for long range shooting and the turrets are very reliable and always turn back to zero with no problem.

No problem. Nightforce was mentioned, and no doubt they are a nice scope, however they are in a differnt class, in quality and price. I think if you are looking for a step up over a VX-3 a Mark IV will be a great option, I know I really like mine. Good luck and let us know how it works out for ya.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom