Leica "Disapointment"

Panhandle

I just wanted to relay the poor experience I have had dealing with Leica Camera Inc. the last 6 months or so. I had an LRF 1200 scan model that was in like new condition but somehow moisture condensed inside the unit while on a sheep hunt. By the way, the warranty on these units is 2 years and they are NOT waterproof, which I later found out (MY BAD). My unit was two and a half years old with a receipt. They would not fix any part of the unit. My best offer was $275.00 for another LRF 1200 unit. The dealings with them started 6 months ago and all they would do was play pass the buck to the next guy in charge till finally there was no response from the next guy in line and I had to settle with their crappy offer or nothing.
I will now quit my complaining, I just wanted others to know about the poor customer service I had received.
FYI ? All of the LRF and CRF units only carry a 2 year warranty. The Geovids only carry a 5 year warranty. I think this is pretty mediocre for this caliber and supposed quality of unit. Just my opinion.
I know that after this I will no longer be buying any Leica products and will be selling all of mine and my guides Leica products on E-Bay and we will all be switching to Swarovski.
An experience such as this really makes you appreciate some of the more positive dealings with companies like Leupold and Cabelas, just to name a few.
Best of luck to all this coming season. ? Panhandle-

I had the same problem with Leica several years ago. A screw on the inside of my glasses came loose and the prism dropped out. The dealings with the sevice dept. at Leica were a fiasco. Glasses are pretty much a paper weight now.

Panhandle:

Sorry to hear of your experience. My experience with Leica was just the opposite. Brand new lenses in my Trinovids, no questions asked, even when I wasn't the original owner.

I have Swaro and Lieca products and have had great service with both.

Hope you have a great season also.

"Hunt when you can - You're gonna' run out of health before you run out of money!"

Geeze my Pentax aren't as good as swaros or liecas, but the customer service I received from them was very much professional and helpful, they actually cared about my problem and upgrated my glasses as part of thier costumer loyalty plan,,,,

My guides and I have had all sorts of experience with various optics outfits. Leupold has the VERY BEST customer service. We've had some trouble with Leica in particlar, but have heard of issues with Swaro as well. But they do have good stuff. Leica would not even service a rangefinder from a guide of mine because he could not show he had purchased it - it was a gift (tip) from a hunter. He finally got the hunter involved and after months, Leica fixed the problem.

panhandle,

I had the same experience with a leica rangefinder. It was my bad, as I washed it with the rest of my optics, and filled it with water. I had bought the rangefinder from sportsmans warehouse. I had bought several sets of high end optics from doug at cameraland, so I gave him a call, as I knew he had some good leica contacts. I was just looking for someone to send it to. He told me to send the unit to him, and he'd look into getting it fixed for me, and send me the bill. Much to my surprise, a few weeks later, I got a brand sticking new rangefinder in the mail. Remember, I didn't buy it from him in the first place. He had worked his contacts and got it done for me. Needless to say, all my optics purchases from then on have gone through him, and I've sent everyone I know that way. The absolute very best customer service in the business, and usually by far and away the best prices. Go to cameralandny.com and give them a call and ask for Doug, and see if he can point you in the right direction with that rangefinder. It may not be free, but he's a hell of a guy and a lot easier to work with than directly with Leica.

Leica customer service and warranty is not anywhere close to Swarovski.

I learned this last year. This is a fact and not an opinion.

Here is what happened.

I had the leica duovids (wont buy them again). Decided to sell them and buy the leica ultravids in 10 power.

I sent the duovids in to get refurbished and it cost $650!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! new skin, and fix the center adjustment. I use them alot and i use them hard. This whole process took over 7 weeks!!!!!!!!!

Same year i am out scouting and i have my 15x56 swarovskis on a window mount and driving slow down a rocky road they fall off the window and bounce a couple of times and now it is like looking thru a kalaidascope (spelling??) .
Swarovskil sent me a NEW pair in 10 days for $150.00.

In the future i will not buy Leicas again. I will buy swarovski.

Hi all, talking about warranties and customer service, I think I found a great one. We lost our home to a fire on Thanksgiving morning ($2500.00 coverage on all of my guns and bino's) obiviously not enough. I just got off the phone with a lady by the name of Halley from Brunton Optics. I ask her if they had a special deal for a loyal customer who lost his bino's. She gave me a great price, and then she ask if I had some small remmit of my bino's. The reason being that if I have a piece of etc, to send it to them and they will send me a brand new pair no questions, no charge. She then explained if they would fall off a mountain, if you would run them over with your truck or whatever send them back, if can't be fixed they will send you a brand new pair. Also she took my name and number and said she wanted to talk to her warranty people and see if they could do morefor me. No that's a Warranty and that Customer service.

Joe

Called Leica about an eye cup replacement. The kid said send in the binos and will fix em. I said, but the eye cup can be removed. Just send me an eye cup. He transfered me to another guy, and this guy had a new eye cup sent out. I think the key with Leica is keep your receipt and make sure you send in your warranty registration card. If you do that, you should be ok. I have also worked with Swarovski and their cust service is impeccable.IMHO i think the Leica has a little brighter glass, but I think the swaro has a better more durable design. If they made a bino like the Duovids, I buy em.

Mike

NMpaul, how come you sold your Duovids. I love mine.Aside from the poor design on the eye cups, I love the versatility.

Mike

LAST EDITED ON Jul-18-07 AT 06:18PM (MST)[p]We have been having trouble with getting my son's Leica spotting scope repaired for over two years now. He had problems with the lock on the eyepiece, and sent it in as he was told there was a lifetimoe warranty. It was within the first 6 months of purchase. They kept it 18 months, charged us $75, and then finally returned it, but untouched! I promptly had it returned and that was over a year ago! Still no update or no expected repair date.
I can assure you there will no Leica purchases from this family again. We have purchased a Swarovski Scope and 2 pairs of Swarovski glasses since then and are very pleased.
I then had a problem with my Bushnell 1500 rangefinder, so sent it in and it was repaired and returned within a couple of weeks, and all I had to pay was the shipping.
You would think Leica would stand up for their products and work to get problems resolved, but we have had nothing but dissapointment also..

antlerrick,

Was your eyepiece problem that it unscrewed every time you tried to change the power setting ?? They have no fix for that. I sheared a shim of thin aluminum then cut it into a skinny washer and put it between the eyepiece and scope body and it worked perfectly. Leica was no help.

JB

I had an older pair of Swarovski 8x30 and the coating almost completely wore off in less than a year, I sent them to Swar, and after almost a year of fighting with them about whos fault it was they fixed them, and then sent me a bill for $220 dollars. I then wrote tnem a letter telling them that I would never buy another one of thier products, but I have, I told thier rep, about this service at a big outdoor show and he gave me a handful of the Swar little gold pins, big deal.I have had much better luck with my Leica products than the Swar. I guess its just who you talk too.

D13, no problem with unscrewing. the black plastic housing inside the eye cup cracked making it crooked. Poor design IMO.

M

Didn't see this post until after I put mine out there. This a bunch of hog wash. Spread the word. Leica should back their junk up.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom