Knight Bighorn & Powerbelts/Conicals

Torch

I used to own a Knight Bighorn, but I sold it. I got it to shoot really well with sabots, but I never shot powerbelts or conicals with it. I'm going to be hunting Colorado this year with a muzzy and I'm going to buy a new smokepole.

So my question is....does anyone own a Bighorn that they shoot powerbelts or conicals through? If so, how do they shoot and what kinds of loads are you using? I might end up buying a different muzzleloader if I can't get any feedback from people that have been able to get the Bighorn to shoot conicals good. It was a pain in the A$$ to clean, but it was a good gun. Here is a picture of a jerky buck I shot with mine. Any feedback would be appreciated!

4495e53d70a24253.jpg

Torch,

I'm still shooting the old Bighorn with 90 grains of tripple seven, and the 295 copper powerbelts. This load actually shoots better w/ number elevens vs 209s. It's a great open sight load.

I've always thought sabots were a pain in the %#@%#$@ to load, and didn't think they shot better than the powerbelts, but I've never really gotten into long range muzzleloader shooting-150 yards plus.

Wanna share the story on the buck!;)

Prism,

I didn't realize you were still shooting the bighorn or I would have talked to you about it. I also forgot you shot powerbelts. It looks like I might have an opportunity to test a new in-line that's coming out. If so....I won't need to worry about working up a load for the Bighorn.

The story behind the buck is I wanted some jerky really bad and the big one got away...:).

I have shot the No Exucess 460gr conical from my Bighorn with good results. I have played with sabots the last couple years and I also don't like how hard they are to load. Most my shots are under the 150 yard range and a bif conical works great for me.

Mark

My Bighorn shoots most of the conicals (PR Bullets, Maxiballs, No Excuses, Hunterman Boolets)just fine.
Just remember after about 1450 fps conicals will lead a barrel real quick. Then the rifle won't shoot with any accuracy until it's completely cleaned out.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom