Keeping ML Loaded for Days

CHWino_1

I'm back in the muzzy game as I finally drew my CO unit 40 elk muzzy tag. It took 27 NR points if your wondering. I've got a TC inline that I had a peep mounted last year. I've had decent success at the range shooting triple 7 fff. My question: if I didn't encounter wet weather could I keep the gun loaded for multiple days without unloading?

Like I said if your so cheap that your willing to gamble you hunt over it then be my guest.

I’ll be reloading my gun daily.

I'm back in the muzzy game as I finally drew my CO unit 40 elk muzzy tag. It took 27 NR points if your wondering. I've got a TC inline that I had a peep mounted last year. I've had decent success at the range shooting triple 7 fff. My question: if I didn't encounter wet weather could I keep the gun loaded for multiple days without unloading?
Congrats on the tag!

Who are you hunting with or are you going DIY?

Horniac

Nothing about the original question came off to me as him trying to be “cheap” by not putting in a new load everyday. I agree with the others, keep your gun dry and you’re good to go. If mine has a clean barrel I will shoot a fowling shot then load up for the hunt. Good luck.

I agree with a lot of what has been said above. Likely fine with good weather. When I hunt and camp with my ML, I store it cased and in an outdoor-temperature truck to avoid the heating/cooling cycle that causes condensation

But...if I'd waited 27 years for a OIL tag, I'd be paranoid and would likely unload and reload it every day. I've learned over the years if it is something I'm in total control of, and the disappointment of "I knew better" is high, then I take control of it.

Good luck and post some kamp and kill pics!

I'd try & Keep The Gun As Close To The Same Temperature As You Can!

As In Don't:

Let The Gun Get Real Cold And Then Stick It Near Heat/Heater Of Your Rig!

Gonna Be Muzz Season & Temps Ain't Gonna Change All That Much!

If You Do Have An Issue You Can Always Say:

FRICK I Wish I Had Been Using BH 209!:D

I'd try & Keep The Gun As Close To The Same Temperature As You Can!

As In Don't:

Let The Gun Get Real Cold And Then Stick It Near Heat/Heater Of Your Rig!

Gonna Be Muzz Season & Temps Ain't Gonna Change All That Much!

If You Do Have An Issue You Can Always Say:

FRICK I Wish I Had Been Using BH 209!:D
And it’s a good thing…..keeping bh209 loads fresh would get a little pricey at $5 a pop :oops:

But you could go thru a 10 day season without having to clean the gun.

Let me qualify it by saying this from my experience. One dry year I left the gun in the truck by the trailer loaded with BP substitute. Shot at a deer the next morning and had a slow fire and of coarse missed the deer. After that I kept the gun warm in the trailer, house, what ever. Never had it happen again. That was before 209 days. Tried to duplicate that after the hunts. There was a difference between an overnight cold vs warm barrel, but not nearly as bad as the missed deer experience. Since that time for side hammers, only true black powder for me.

It has more to do with the powder fouling in your barrel then it does the actual charge. If you’re using any of the pyrodex powders, they are water soluble, so they are taking moisture out of the air at any point it can. The fouling will take on water from the air and it gets nastier the longer you let it sit and it’ll shred your gas check/sabot. I’d shoot BH209 so you’re not using a water soluble powder and I personally touch mine off every other day. Every day if it’s raining. I’m neurotic though and shoot mine to 400 regularly and am amazed at the difference having consistent fouling in the barrel makes.

Like others have said, its probably not necessary but this is the system I use.

I unscrew my QRBP on my CVA and then put a zip lock bag under the breech of gun and flip it upside down and push the bullet and the powder into the bag. I leave that powder in the bag for the entire hunt and then in the heat of summer, I pour the powder onto a cookie sheet on my picnic table in the sun and let it dry out in the summer sun on low humidity days. Then I put it in a just called USED BH209. I use that powder to practice with and check the gun. Very little waste and I have peace of mind that my gun is for sure going to go off. Just me being OCD I suppose. I'm no ribbon chaser, if I can hit a dessert pie plate at a couple hundred yards, I am good to go.

No need to replace your BH209 load on a multi-day hunt unless you get a major change in weather, i.e. rain/snow, drastic drop or rise in temps/humidity. I keep the muzzle covered with electrical tape and only store the gun in my truck or outside the tent. I do prefer to shoot out or remove the "old" load after 3-4 days of hard hunting but don't have to. If you shoot out with a CVA make sure you clean the firing pin mechanism or you'll run the risk of a hang fire, been there cost me a nice buck.

I've always unscrewed the breech plug and pushed it out from the muzzle with the ramrod and a cleaning jag. BP subs, such as 777, foul the nipple if you shoot them. And if it is damp, it can still result in a mis-fire

Never shot BH209, but from what I understand, it is much cleaner. So fouling may not be an issue with it.

He never said anything about being cheap. Don’t be a dick! He will be fine as long as he keeps it dry.
I am cheap I ain’t blowing 3$ bullets out every day just because
I never had issues with my old round ball and BP usually just shitty caps

It's one thing when caps, powder, conicals, and such were readily available and cheap but nowadays one also has to be extra careful about keeping an adequate supply so as not to run out during the hunt😂

I would always just shoot my load out and use it to check zero at the same time (if I was worried about it) but sometimes that's not practical back at camp or around the area you are hunting. Some of the outfitters don't like it either for obvious reasons.

Sounds like Mallardsx2 has a good system that works for him pulling the plug and saving the projectile and powder for practice use at a later date.

That was always a hassle for me when using grease on the breech plug as the powder would get mixed in with the grease and I would end up having to clean the whole shebang. A slightly easier clean-up when using teflon tape on the breech plug but I would still end up having to clean everything.

From what I understand, Mallardsx2's CVA uses a QR breech plug that doesn't require grease or tape to seal so cleaning the plug and breech is not a time consuming hassle for him...

Horniac

Looks like you've gotten quite a range of answers. Surprisingly there are so many different opinions from MMers! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

1) Leave it in.
2) Shoot it out.
3) Blow it out with air.
4) Leave it in the cold truck.
5) Leave it in the warmer tent.
6) Remove the breech plug and push it out.
7) OIL tag so why risk it?
8) Change it if it rains.
9) Keep tape over the end of the barrel and you'll be OK.
10) There may have been other suggestions.
Now the choice is up to you!

But in all seriousness, you got some intel on other ML hunters experiences, and what works for them, and reasons for their suggestion.

Good luck and post some kool pics! :cool::cool::cool:

While the opinions have been many, I'll add one more. I am a BH 209 user so keep that in mind. I will keep my muzzleloader loaded all month long in Nebraska's 31-day muzzleloader deer season in December and never had a misfire.
about 13 years ago, I did a 10-day caribou hunt in northern Quebec with a CVA with blackhorn. Rained every day, soggy and didn't see the sun for 10 days. Used finger cots and tape on barrel, and used chapstick on breech. After 4 days, I was leery, so shot at end of day and all was fine. 3 days later, I unloaded on a distant wolf - shot fine. And 3 days after that I unloaded into a caribou and right on the money. So those conditions were bad, but I was careful, and it stayed fine. With BH 209 I would not hesitate to leave it.

I shoot a CVA Optima. I use triple 7 FFFg. I don’t shoot by volume.. sort of. I shoot 120gr by volume equivalent, meaning I measured out the 120 grains by volume 20 times and then weighed it on a scale. Used the 20x average to come up with a precise weight and now I pre measure all of my loads prior to going to the range/ on the hunt. I keep the powder stored dry with the primers.

When I hunt, I keep the gun loaded until I shoot at an animal. That might mean the gun is loaded for 2 hours before I shoot it, half a day or for the entirety of a hunt. I have never had any issue, ever, with any type of hang fire, etc. I most definitely do not dump out a charge “just because”. It’s not 1824 on the prairie and we aren’t mountain men slugging it on a trapping trail. There is nothing primitive about the powder substitutes we use these days. Plus, with the sabots or plastic bases most of the projectiles used these days, the charge is safe and secured and we don’t run around dunking our guns in lakes and streams.

This Is Some Great Advice!

Me & My Son Have Strong Gun Carriers On Our Wheelers/Barrel Pointed Down!

We Travel Some Of The Roughest Trails DRATS Ever Invented!

We Got In The Habit Of Running Our Ramrods Down The Barrels After Parking Our Wheelers!

I Only Remember One Time Where My Bullet Had Moved Down The Barrel About 4"!

Can You Imagine Touching That Off With 110 Grains Of BH 209?

Keep Em Seated Boys!

And Thanks Downrange!

I keep mine loaded but every morning befor I start hunting I push the ram rod down the barrel to make sure my bullet is still seated nice and tight

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom