Is it a waste of time?

T

tanner33

I am a NR and I was looking at putting in for a 111 elk tag with no points. Am I wasting my time? Thanks

I don't know much about the draw system today,but in 2002 I drew a bull moose tag.They used to have a certain amount of tags that went to random draw ,but I don't know if it works that way today.

You won't ever draw if you don't apply. You may be one of the lucky ones and draw a random tag, or you may get a PP. It's a win-win in my book.

Last year in the points part of the drawing it was 50-50 with 4 points. I'm not sure what the random was. I think it is on the G&F website. Look at the general if you just want to hunt.

Actually, putting in for 111 in the regular random draw was useless because there weren't even any tags issued in that drawing! There were only 3 tags available in the random PP draw that goes before it and that one is done after the two Special more expensive draws are completed. Six people with the max of 4 PPs applied in the regular PP draw and, therefore, only 50% drew one of those tags. The no tags issued deal happens sometimes in that draw because there are so few tags issued overall for a unit like 111. The other draws are held first and the percentages the F&G came up with in the drawing requirements are high enough that it wipes out the chance for even one tag to be issued in that final random drawing.

Unless I read it wrong, the total quota for random draw, including Special draw was 0. This was for 2010. So unless they make some changes for 2011, it would be a waste of time.

Eel

it's not a 40 incher but it's closer than the last 40 incher you posted....

JB

I hunted 111 a couple of years ago as a non resident . My buddy had checked in to the draw odds after hearing about my hunt , and from what I can tell since there is soo few non resident tags , no random draw tags will filter down .

From my research on that unit you are wasting your time unless you have max points .

The Draw odds feature on here is very helpful in researching those types of questions. GOOD LUCK. Chip

Thanks for all the replies. I had read that there were 0 tags and thats why I asked. My buddy drew the tag a few years back and told me to put in. So can someone point me to a different unit. I'm not looking to harvest a monster but a good quality bull and or a good deer. Thanks again

Like it was mentioned before on checking the draw odds feature , would be a good starting point at finding a unit . In addition to that , you have some options as far as Huntin Fool , the members section of Eastmans . Check what units can be drawn with zero points , and also compare what units you have a better chance of drawing with the " special " . Some times that extra money can really help with drawing odds . After all that comes the phone calls to biolgists and game wardens , and past hunters .

Make a list of questions you want to ask . Like access , terrian , and the list goes on and on .

Be careful on taking advice with out follow up . Case in point , when I was looking at 111 , I had read on Eastmans that the terrian was mild or moderate ( can't remember what it said ) . I was in for a big surprise when I started scouting , and saw how steep and nasty the elk country was .

Good look with the research . I actually really dig this time of year , and have fun with all the research .

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom