Interesting Article

NeMont

Long Time Member
I don't necessarily agree with everything written but thought this was at least a different perspective.

Exerpt from Washington Monthly Mag:

There?s something inherently unseemly about talking about the politics of a war, even if politics infuses all war. Certainly, no amount of political benefit should substitute for considered judgment in figuring out what to do about Iraq. But nothing in the past five years has provided evidence of the war?s wisdom, nor has the surge so far contradicted the overall trend, which is that the longer we occupy Iraq, the worse things get. The escalation won't be at full strength until the last of the new brigades arrive this month, and, because one problem all along has been an insufficient number of troops, we can expect that the infusion will bring some benefit?for a while. As has been the pattern all along, however, the enemy will adapt, and sectarian fighting will rage on. The country?s descent will continue.

The uncomfortable reality is this: nothing in Iraq worth fighting for remains achievable, and nothing achievable in Iraq remains worth fighting for. Democrats have made the decision?rightly, I think?that withdrawing from Iraq is the least bad of many bad options. But they shouldn't kid themselves into thinking that a majority of the troops doing the fighting agree with them. For soldiers like Lieutenant Wellman, this will be hard to accept. As he told me of war doubters back home, ?I don't want them to just support the troops. I want them to support the mission.? This matters, because pretending that in ending the war they're doing the troops a favor hurts Democrats politically. They risk looking condescending, and, worse, oblivious?which has the broader effect of undermining public trust in the Democrats to handle national security. More basically, it does a disservice to those who serve. For soldiers who are optimistic, being told that the war can't be won is bad enough. But to be told that politicians are doing them a favor by extricating them from a mission they believe in is downright insulting.

Democrats would do much better to speak honestly: to acknowledge that many fighting men and women want to stay in the battle and would be willing to do so for years longer. There?s nothing wrong with saying that, nor in emphasizing that this is part of what makes us so proud of our military. We wouldn't want soldiers who were unwilling to fight to the bitter end. Elected officials, however, have to judge what they believe to be in the national interest, and that means calling an end to the occupation of Iraq. Soldiers like Wellman won't agree, but if Democrats can at least signal that they acknowledge and respect his point of view, they'll have a better chance at getting Wellman to respect their own. And meeting partway is a lot better than not meeting at all.

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/features/2007/0706.ackerman.html

I read the post, then went to the jump and when I got to the last third I thought, hey didn't I just read this.

I thought the article addressed the multiple perspectives and why there might be a disconnect between politics and the boots on the ground. As well, I am never sure how candid front line soldiers are truly able to be with the press. I know the guys I have spoken with that have been in Iraq were given "press cards" that instructed them what or what not to say if interviewed. I am not saying this pertains to those that were interviewed in the article, but I do wonder exactly how candid a soldier in the field can be.

3 things I thought were not explored enough was the (unscientific poll) showing a marked decrease for supporting the mission from the 2003 poll. The "mission" was mentioned throughout the article, both by the author and by those he had interviewed, but an actual description of the mission remained ambiguos. I wondered if the author had asked several people to define the mission if the answers would be consistant?

I know that one of boys who I had wrote about earlier this year that is suffering from PTSD, joined because he "wanted to get some payback for 9/11." So I found the eagerness issue to be one of great concern, since we do have a volunteer force. As well,
a soldier's mindset is trained to carry out the mission against all odds.

All in all the article ran many parallels with my own posts on this subject and only reinforces my opinions about the war.

I agreed with many but certaunly not all things in the article. It is a article that has many debatable points whih I'm sure will occur shortly on this site.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-26-07 AT 01:34PM (MST)[p]Pretty interesting for sure. Many of us in Viet Nam felt the same way as Lt. Wellman feels. When traitors like Jane Fonda and John Kerry were protesting the war when we were still over there. IMO, it should be against federal law to protest openly an on-going war. It totally demorilizes the troops who are still fighting for a cause they believe in.
Wars are won by Generals, NOT politicians.

eweikum338 wrote: "Wars are won by Generals, NOT politicians." I agree, but wars are lost by politicians more often nowdays than Generals. I suppose you could even include the "main-stream" media, which is just an extension of the far-left political hacks. Vietnam was lost here, not there. If we lose in Iraq, it will have been lost here, not there.

PRO

Good article, I think many of the troops do feel they're being let down after the effort they've put into this fight. does that mean we keep fighting until one side runs out of fighters or we run out of money? the bottom line is they signed up to work for the US armed forces, when their employer says it's time to come home then it's time to come home.

Many of you think this war can be won if we throw enough bodies and money at it. that's only a theory, and one less and less experts beleive in every day. if we're not going to win we've already stayed too long, if you want to fund it and fight have at it. this country wants out and so it will be.

There's a lot we can do for our military personel to show our gratitude better than keeping them in a losing battle, decent medical care would work for starters.

Funny thing, the troops AND the generals believe we are winning and making progress, it is just the 'experts' back here that have quit. Is America turning into Western France?

PRO

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom