Info on Wyoming antelope units

Goochjosh42

I was wondering if anyone is willing to share some info on some units in Wyoming that I can draw out on with only two points. Not looking for the world record just wanting to harvest my first lope and hopefully get some meat in my freezer

Josh, I think your best bet would be to go on the Wyoming game and Fish Website and get a list of the units you could draw with 2 points. Then take a look at the unit map and determine roughly where you want to hunt, private vs public, etc... Then you can pick out a unit or 2 and ask a little more unit specific questions - especially being a first time poster. With 2 points you should be able to get into a unit like you've described. Have you considered entering the special draw. That would give you better options.

Thanks for advice. I did my research and found that basically every unit that I have a chance to draw out on has little public land which is not suprising and the way it goes I guess

You darn near have a guaranteed chance of drawing in almost 50% of the units and that is in the regular draw. Do you honestly think you can't find a piece of public land in any of the 46 units you could draw that would hold an antelope you would be proud to hunt? You are not researching hard enough. Use the interactive map. It is your friend. If you are not hunting antelope in Wyoming this year it is because you did not really want to. Good luck in your search.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-05-16 AT 05:45PM (MST)[p]>You darn near have a guaranteed
>chance of drawing in almost
>50% of the units and
>that is in the regular
>draw. Do you honestly
>think you can't find a
>piece of public land in
>any of the 46 units
>you could draw that would
>hold an antelope you would
>be proud to hunt?
>You are not researching hard
>enough. Use the interactive
>map. It is your
>friend. If you are
>not hunting antelope in Wyoming
>this year it is because
>you did not really want
>to. Good luck in
>your search.

+1, but it sounds almost like he gave up since nobody has jumped right on the forum and given him a unit and coordinates of where to go! Setting up a hunt for antelope in Wyoming is about as easy as it gets if you do your homework and you have almost 5 full months before the application deadline of 5/31. I help a ton of people every year and am doing so with several right now for the upcoming season, but I do ask that people do a lot of their own research before I really get involved in helping them. To me the hunt preparation and research is as much fun as the hunt itself.

I have to agree, using the game Dept. Web site, google earth, and also the BLM page called Geocommunicator, allows you to research units to draw first, units that have hunt able type ground, then public pieces that can reached via public roads. I bought the WY GPS hunt chip, ended up hunting an easy to draw private land filled unit in NE WY and we took two goats from a piece of state land and BLM land. Easy hunts and saw plenty of animals on public ground, we have 2 points this year, we will go back again this year, maybe go special next year for a better public land opportunity but you can go wrong, just pick a unit and get started!

I'm a non-res and was able to hunt 70 in '05, and 22 in '06, '08, and '12 - all with no points, all hunts on public land, all using the BLM paper maps. Wasn't all that difficult to find lopes either time. I will say that in '12, there was a significant amount of work with gas pipelines which made it more difficult. It's probably done by now and hopefully the goats are back.

PM me if you want more info.

Wy game web site now has downloads showing the unit bndy and land ownership that will load into google earth PRO, on a per hunt unit basis.
GE pro is now free.

I know you guys have been very helpful with my hunts in the west. Once you know where to research, its very simple. I just don't know how you guys have the heart to continue to help the entitled crowd.
The ones who ask for info, then don't have enough respect to say thank you! The last two weeks on different forums, I have helps 4 guys on pms, with info on elk. They take the info and run. No thank you, go to hell, nothing. I guess they expect free info?

Do any of the above map products (paper, digital) show public roads that are not locked where they cross private?

If not, how do you research this?

I ran into this situation the last time I hunted in WY. It involved a 2.5 hour detour and a change of basecamp, etc, etc.

Thx
Bill

This may be common knowledge but may also help some others.

When it comes to public roads crossing into private remember:
-County Roads will cross private and they can't be locked

-BLM roads that cross Private and are Numbered can't be locked

-Two-track or graveled Oil/Gas roads CAN be locked when crossing into private land. These aren't technically "Public Roads" but rather Rights-of-Way payed to the BLM or other land management agency for access to that private land.

Even on the basic BLM maps the roads that are County or BLM Numbered roads will be marked. BLM road numbers are surronded by a trapezoid and County roads are surronded by squares. (At least in Wyoming)

py

pymulies---You have given some information in your post that isn't entirely accurate and could get someone into trouble. Just because county roads and BLM roads are marked with numbers on a map does not mean that the general public can automatically go through that private property. There has to be a legal right of way obtained by the county or BLM for that road through the private property before the general public can travel it. If you will look at a BLM map where their road goes through private property, there will normally be a color brown overlay on the private property part meaning that it is legal to drive through. If it is not overlaid with brown, normally that would mean the owner has control of that section and you must gain permission to travel it. You need to make certain that a county road is open to travel it's entire distance whether it's numbered or not. The easiest way is to go through the county DOT for a map or list of all the public roads they maintain. Many counties now have online websites that show a map and some even have a listing of how many miles each road is that they take care of. A good example of a road that looks legal it's entire length is where the county road goes through private property at Beaver Creek in antelope unit 23. That road has no legal right of way through that property and lots of people were receiving trespass tickets for using it to try and access the BLM and WIHA to the northwest area of the unit. G&F has finally placed a disclaimer/warning on their website for that WIHA stating the road is not legal to travel on from the south through the private property to gain access to the WIHA and shows the only two legal routes to get there.

>pymulies---You have given some information in
>your post that isn't entirely
>accurate and could get someone
>into trouble. Just because
>county roads and BLM roads
>are marked with numbers on
>a map does not mean
>that the general public can
>automatically go through that private
>property. There has to
>be a legal right of
>way obtained by the county
>or BLM for that road
>through the private property before
>the general public can travel
>it. If you will
>look at a BLM map
>where their road goes through
>private property, there will normally
>be a color brown overlay
>on the private property part
>meaning that it is legal
>to drive through. If
>it is not overlaid with
>brown, normally that would mean
>the owner has control of
>that section and you must
>gain permission to travel it.
> You need to make
>certain that a county road
>is open to travel it's
>entire distance whether it's numbered
>or not. The easiest
>way is to go through
>the county DOT for a
>map or list of all
>the public roads they maintain.
> Many counties now have
>online websites that show a
>map and some even have
>a listing of how many
>miles each road is that
>they take care of.
>A good example of a
>road that looks legal it's
>entire length is where the
>county road goes through private
>property at Beaver Creek in
>antelope unit 23. That
>road has no legal right
>of way through that property
>and lots of people were
>receiving trespass tickets for using
>it to try and access
>the BLM and WIHA to
>the northwest area of the
>unit. G&F has finally
>placed a disclaimer/warning on their
>website for that WIHA stating
>the road is not legal
>to travel on from the
>south through the private property
>to gain access to the
>WIHA and shows the only
>two legal routes to get
>there.

Is that road identified as a "County Road" and is it signed with 'no trespassing' signs Mike?

LAST EDITED ON Jan-19-16 AT 03:49PM (MST)[p]The discrepancy comes from looking at a map that has a number vs actual sinage from the county or blm.

>LAST EDITED ON Jan-19-16
>AT 03:49?PM (MST)

>
>The discrepancy comes from looking at
>a map that has a
>number vs actual sinage from
>the county or blm.

I don't know the road Topgun is talking about, but I haven't in all my years of traveling Wyoming ever been harassed on a road with a county sign on it.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-19-16 AT 04:42PM (MST)[p]jm77---Sorry to everyone that I probably didn't quite explain that road I mentioned properly. It just shows as Beaver Creek Road on maps and people that don't live in the area must think that makes it a county road. It has never been signed as such to the best of my knowledge on the entire south end south of that ranch that was having trespass problems going on it through their ranch. From that private property on south to where the road goes into Campbell County to the east it's not a public road and there is no signage or numbers saying it is. Yes, there were very small signs at the private property boundary that most people were missing and driving right on by thinking they were okay. From what I understand since the last time I was up in that area I was told there is now a big 2'x2' sign that Stevie Wonder couldn't miss, as well as the notification in the G&F WIHA section for that unit #7 telling people what I stated earlier as to how to legally access it. Here is a link for Campbell County to the east of where we're talking about and it shows every county road that is public and actual mileage right down to the decimal point. If every county had a map this good it would be fantastic to use along with a GPS with landowner chip because it's the road issue that screws most people up trying to get to legal public land.

https://www.ccgov.net/DocumentCenter/View/2017

>Wy game web site now has
>downloads showing the unit bndy
>and land ownership that will
>load into google earth PRO,
>on a per hunt unit
>basis.
> GE pro is now free.
>

Do you a have a link to where on the GF website?
Thanks

LAST EDITED ON Jan-19-16 AT 08:08PM (MST)[p]>>Wy game web site now has
>>downloads showing the unit bndy
>>and land ownership that will
>>load into google earth PRO,
>>on a per hunt unit
>>basis.
>> GE pro is now free.
>>
>
>
>Do you a have a
>link to where on the
>GF website?
>Thanks

It isn't that easy as one click on a link, so you'll probably have to write these instructions to do what you want:
1---Click on "Hunt Planner" on the main page
2---Select a Species
3---Click on "Interactive Map"
4---When the map comes up then click on the unit you want to look at
5---Next click on "More Info"
6---Finally, when that comes up click on the little red box at the top right that says "GEO PDF" and that interactive map will load up in a few seconds

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom