Incredible Colorado elk hunt

DidIDraw

Thanks to some great advice from several members of this site, I had an incredible experience.
I was able to scout 7.5 days and enjoyed seeing lots of bulls, some of which were bigger than 300 mark that others told me I shouldn't pass on. There were lots of moose around which was also a treat to see.
I found this bull in a nasty little area that was pretty hard to see into (I got off course in the dark and ended up on a face where I could see into his hide hole). I was really concerned about getting him out if i killed him, but I ran into a really nice young man that told me to call him if I got one and he would help me with the pack out. With that I headed down the next morning, found the bull, watched him bed, made a 2.5 mile hike up and around to get above him, and found him in his bed at 2:30.
Packout was brutal, a little over 2 miles and about 1500 ft of elevation. The next day that guy was true to his word and even brought a friend and we finished the pack out.
Nothing appeared wrong with this bull, he had all of his parts and was in excellent health (re: FAT). Just still in perfect velvet.
On a sad note, a bear got to the antlers overnight even though I had moved them from the carcass and stripped off about half of the velvet.
1000008350.jpg
1000008345.jpg

Wow, that is awesome. i have never seen a normal looking bull with velvet stil one this time of year. Congrats and awesome hunt, so cool someone helped you out like that.

Congrats to you! What a neat bull, bummer some of the velvet got torn off. That's super cool that other fellow came and helped you out.

Great looking bull. Congratulations.
Skipped to the photos before reading your adventure. Thought it might have been from awhile ago about a governor tag at first. Glad I read your adventure. Glad to know others out there still helping other hunters.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom