Idaho unit 39 elk muzzleloader

bornhunter

Notified yesterday selected for antlerless elk muzzleloader in unit 39 Idaho. Have hunted several Idaho units but not 39. Starting my research on where to hunt. My 40+ year hunting buddy and I are 68 and 70 years old so can't beat the brush like we used to but still get around good. We have quads to get us to areas and from there we like to spend the day glassing or in a blind. I understand this is a popular unit and there will be lots of folks around but there are some decent elk numbers in 39. Hunt goes from Sept 8th thru the 30th. Both retired and have plenty of time. Any tips on where we might start would sure be appreciated.

cows are easy to find in there. do us all a favor and keep the quads on trails there supposed to be on. lots of good single tracks to hike in that get ruined by out of state guys driving by the sign and bashing their quads in there

You should be able to kill a couple cows less than a mile off the roads if you keep at it. Sounds like you have the time. Should have a good time up there

Years a go when I was chasing Mtn Goat in the Sawtooth's just outside of Atlanta there were lot's of Elk down low along the river corridor that time of year. Otherwise I would say go as high as possible.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom