I ran from the fish cop?

eelgrass

Long Time Member
I was kayak fishing in the bay again yesterday. Yeah I know, I told my wife I wanted to catch 1 more halibut a few days ago....but I lied as usual. She doesn't believe me anyway after all these years.:)

One thing about kayak fishing in the bay is you have to be vigil of all the other big boats running around. There's lots of fishermen in power boats, commercial fishermen heading to sea, oyster barges, and just plain idiots running around. The commercial fishermen are the worse. They maintain their speed and direction and they don't care if you get out of the way or not. If they ran over a kayak I doubt they would even stop. :)

I was well up the bay fishing in the middle of the channel and I see a power boat coming full throttle. I was going to make a move anyway, so I reel up and head to the east out of the path of the boat. But no...he steers right for me going full blast. So I pick up the pace a little, just trying to get out of the way. That didn't help as he came right for me. The boat had a cabin with glass windshield and I couldn't see who it was because of the glare.

He comes right up to me and stops. Whew! Scared the heck out of me. Three guys step out and one says "Fish and Wildlife, why are you running?" "Running? No sir, I wasn't running, I was just trying to get the hell out of your way and stay alive. I had no idea who you were."

I guess they didn't believe me because they went over me with a fine tooth comb. They checked my license and all my gear and they even opened all my hatches looking for hidden fish, I guess. When everything checked out they apologized for scaring me and we had a good laugh. I think they will approach kayakers a little slower from now on.

Eel, I hate to dime out Cuz, because he is family. He told me that he turned you in to the wardens as being a person to watch at all times. He is still pissed about you burning down his Shelter Cove hide away.

RELH

RELH, it did seem like I had a target on my back. Thanks for the heads up, I should have guessed. If I had made it out of the channel onto the flats they would not be able to follow because of the shallow water. I'll fish the edges of the channel from now on where I can duck out of range of the warden.

It was slow fishing until the tide turned and started running out. Then the bite was on and I landed 3 and kept 1. The limit is 3 per day.

At least they didn't pull the drain plug.

?Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. "

>At least they didn't pull the
>drain plug.
>
>
>?Nothing in this world can take
>the place of persistence. Talent
>will not; nothing is more
>common than unsuccessful people with
>talent. Genius will not; unrewarded
>genius is almost a proverb.
>Education will not; the world
>is full of educated derelicts.
>Persistence and determination alone are
>omnipotent. "

If overton had been there I'm sure he would have.

Hey Eel!

With Just a Little More HorsePower You coulda Really Caused a Scene!:D

You Sure You Don't Want a 1/2 Horse OutBoard for that Thing?:D

I know so many people in so many places
They make allot of money but they got sad faces

It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

>You're lucky the turtle was no
>longer hidden in your kayak.
>

No kidding. They frown on turtle poaching in California....

I mean you must have me confused with Roy.

They probably didn't even think to check to see if the kayak was made from a turtle shell. No doubt it was.

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom