Hunting Budget

Hunt4more

Very Active Member
what do you think most “rich” guys spend a year on their hunting budget, including tag fees? The second part to the question is how much would be your dream budget each year and how would you spend it?

I will answer this assuming no raffles, no auctions, no LO tags.

It's pretty easily $5K+ an NR for all species in ~10 states. AK, AZ, UT, NV, NM, CO, MT, WY, ID,+ NE moose states). And that's pretty much assuming no tags drawn.

MT alone is about $700/year for an NR to just apply for all species (and refund the gen when you don't draw limited elk).

And it is getting alot worse in WY and other states. Guys starting today are nuts. Buying a LO tag every 1-2 years would be a far better deal that getting in on the schemes.

Limit your species and states and you can save alot of money. But most guys are dropping around $5K annually to apply if they are broadly applying and if they aren't tied to a budget.

My total outlay for my NM and Colo apps was less than $1,500 Got most of that back as I did not draw in NM and only a lope tag in Colo. Will spend a little more here in Tx but not very much. Really plan on just hunting our little place for whitetails and feral pigs. A fishing trip to South Padre is in the works.

I watch 1200$ go out the door, every year, just in points and associated license fees to get points, without ever chasing a single animal. It’s pretty stupid actually but I’m balz deep now and I can’t pull out…

If I had a million a year income I would easily drop $100,000 a year on hunting and I wouldn’t be messing around with the points system, ever.

My ideal amount would be enough to buy a couple thousand acres. So it would have to be in the 7-8 figure income range. As of now I spend around $1500 a year give or take $1000.

Make a million a year and you would be way short of a rich mans budget. add up taxidermy for full mounts, maybe 2 lions taking down a buffalo, full mounts of sheep of the world, don't forget fueling the jet , or san carlos res elk tags for your brother and father for 5 years in a row , don't forget the 60 foot yahts in costa rica, cabo, and Newport beach. A million a year may cover the insurance and fuel, throw 150k in for 2 new guns every other year. Follow the fall around the world hunting waterfowl when your not after big game.

The budget isn't created until you draw the tag. I'm down to just a couple of states to apply AZ/WYO/CO, but I pay almost $200 to get a Kansas turkey tag, but if we go pheasant hunting - I tell myself it only costs a $100

I'm going to draw the AZ early rifle tag in the next couple of years and will be done with WY in the next couple of years and then I will hunt out CO and never re-enter the points game in any state and just buy raffle tickets.

My elk tag in Montana is 20 bucks. mtmuley
I bet you buy a deer tag, probably a cougar tag, maybe a wolf tag and when the construction business is booming you probably spring for a bear tag. Got to be getting close to a hundred bucks!

I met a guy last fall who just recently moved to Montana. Counting this years planned guided hunts and fishing trips he has taken, in the short time I've known him he has already spent more money than I've spent in probably 20 years or more. All his hunts are on private ranches for trophy animals.

I apply for three states every year but my draw success is pitiful. He mostly purchases tags on private ranches so no draw for him.

I probably spend at least 10 days or more to his one hunting but he has a lot bigger animals hanging on his wall than I do and I'm sure is success rate beats mine.

He's a great guy and if I had his money to spend on hunts I would probably land somewhere between what I do now and what he does.

For the most part just being in the mountains keeping in shape and scouting for criiters/areas to hunt keeps me happy. That's where I was yesterday , today and again on Saturday. ( Gotta take the wife to town tomorrow!! ) :)

I bet you buy a deer tag, probably a cougar tag, maybe a wolf tag and when the construction business is booming you probably spring for a bear tag. Got to be getting close to a hundred bucks!

I met a guy last fall who just recently moved to Montana. Counting this years planned guided hunts and fishing trips he has taken, in the short time I've known him he has already spent more money than I've spent in probably 20 years or more. All his hunts are on private ranches for trophy animals.

I apply for three states every year but my draw success is pitiful. He mostly purchases tags on private ranches so no draw for him.

I probably spend at least 10 days or more to his one hunting but he has a lot bigger animals hanging on his wall than I do and I'm sure is success rate beats mine.

He's a great guy and if I had his money to spend on hunts I would probably land somewhere between what I do now and what he does.

For the most part just being in the mountains keeping in shape and scouting for criiters/areas to hunt keeps me happy. That's where I was yesterday , today and again on Saturday. ( Gotta take the wife to town tomorrow!! ) :)
I buy a Sportsman's with bear. It's criminal what it costs. Then a lion and wolf. Bout another 40 bucks. mtmuley

It is pretty easy to spend 2K+ a year on applications and points if you want to play ball in the main states. And that wouldn’t include most MSG and would include NO raffles or supertags. Really, you could spend a lot more, and all before drawing a tag.

I know a guy, who in some years, will spend 250K on hunting, including travel/taxidermy, etc. He has a dedicated building for mounts and it's full of all sorts of incredible animals. He always seems to be looking for what is next. He is not well known to most, but he loves to hunt and since he can, he does.
I would love to have the funds to go places he has been, but on the other hand, I don't feel particularly envious. I've scrimped and saved...worked two jobs all my life, to hunt my bucket list, trying to satisfy my hunting craving. I have learned that regardless of whether I'm hunting a high dollar species, or a coyote that's free, it's all still a fun adventure to me.

How many of these guys are dropping 15-20k on a Nevada LO deer, possibly 20-30k elk, plus the guide fees, plus the gear, Nevada alone is $50k+. Exceptional hunting and where id be hanging out. New Mexico is another 25k. I think the guy spending a $100k/year on hunting does better than $1m annual revenue.

Last edited:
I'm a time guy.

I'd love to have 2 weeks for the Any bull in Utah, the whole deer muzzy hunt, and both weeks of rifle hunt.

As far as budget goes and this is just yearly, not including guns, optics, etc

2 boys with me. Hopefully finding sales

New boots every year-$250-$300

Oldest got 3 pair camp pants, 3 t shirts, couple hoodies, jacket/coat. $. $350ish

Youngest got hand me downs if they weren't destroyed $100ish

Box of 300 win, box of 7mm-08, pyrodex, sabots, and case or 2 of 3" #2 12 gauge.
$450-500

Arrows $100

All their tags and stamps $250ish

$1500-$2000 in fuel by end of waterfowl

$700ish food for big game hunts

$200 or so for incidentals

$500 for euro mounts

That's just them, every once in a while old dad springs for a pair of socks or undies.

Reality is, our "budget" is more lifestyle. Clothes and stuff get used year round, trailers and trucks as well. We shoot year round.

Oldest is finally able to wear stuff more than a year, so maybe dad will get a new shirt.

I'd rather have the time, than tons of tags

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with, so my budget ranged from about $200-$5000/year. Closer to $200 now that I'm retired with all the surprise hidden costs and responsibilities. Good thing Blacktails are just down the road. You can make that as hard or as simple as you like.

I know a guy who is going for the archery slam and went on a grizzly, Rocky Mountain bighorn and desert bighorn in the same year. I’m guessing he spends $125-$150K a year on hunts for himself and his kids.

If you would’ve told me even 5 years ago what my yearly hunting budget is now, I wouldn’t have believed you at all. I try to find good deals, but I do a handful of international and out of state hunts every year. My budget pales in comparison to some of the guys I guide though. I’ve guided guys that spend 7 figures a year on hunting.

I would love to go to Alaska/NW Canada to hunt Dall Sheep or Moose or bear- it was always on bucket list. A couple of years ago, I finally decided to start the search to start to address this bucket list of hunts. Once I found out the new prices from a couple of reputable outfitters, I thought about it for a few days. And finally realized that even though I could afford it, spending 20-35K to shoot a moose or even more to hunt a dall would never feel right for me. I will still buy $100 or $200 raffle tickets for some of these hunts, but I just can't in good conscience pay that kind of money for one of these hunts, when my 30yo kids have student loans/my wife always wanted to go to Bora Bora and whole bunch of other trips or expenses that cost a fraction of one these hunts that we have never been on. Not to mention travel fees/taxidermy fees etc.
I am happy for those whom choose these amazing hunts to go on, but it just doesn't feel right for me.

Just spend whatever your budget or conscience always. I imagine I might feel different if I didn't have kids or wife. I can't imagine my wife coming to me and saying I want to go with a girlfriend to Europe for 3 weeks and we are going to spend $35K each plus other expenses.

I'm a time guy.

I'd love to have 2 weeks for the Any bull in Utah, the whole deer muzzy hunt, and both weeks of rifle hunt.

As far as budget goes and this is just yearly, not including guns, optics, etc

2 boys with me. Hopefully finding sales

New boots every year-$250-$300

Oldest got 3 pair camp pants, 3 t shirts, couple hoodies, jacket/coat. $. $350ish

Youngest got hand me downs if they weren't destroyed $100ish

Box of 300 win, box of 7mm-08, pyrodex, sabots, and case or 2 of 3" #2 12 gauge.
$450-500

Arrows $100

All their tags and stamps $250ish

$1500-$2000 in fuel by end of waterfowl

$700ish food for big game hunts

$200 or so for incidentals

$500 for euro mounts

That's just them, every once in a while old dad springs for a pair of socks or undies.

Reality is, our "budget" is more lifestyle. Clothes and stuff get used year round, trailers and trucks as well. We shoot year round.

Oldest is finally able to wear stuff more than a year, so maybe dad will get a new shirt.

I'd rather have the time, than tons of tags
Fuel sure adds up fast for me waterfowl hunting as well.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom