Hunter Orange??

J

jamaro

What are your thoughts for Hunter Orange requirements for Muzzle-loader and Rifle Big-Game hunts minus Javelina? Looks like Game and Fish is going to make a recommendation to make it mandatory..
J-

LAST EDITED ON Mar-15-13 AT 02:14PM (MST)[p]Why can't it just be said that rifle hunting has a certain level of risk. If anyone finds that risk too high for their liking than they can get a bow?

LAST EDITED ON Mar-15-13 AT 02:48PM (MST)[p]I strongly oppose it being mandatory.

When is the last time someone "who was hunting" in New Mexico got shot in a scenario where had this person been wearing hunter orange the incident could have prevented it????????????

My guess is never.

Just more government propaganda trying to remove our freedom to think for ourselves.

Not for it at all,I like to go undetected. That keeps me safe I feel. I carry orange for packouts with antlers. And why not bow hunters too? Seen some pretty poor shots with them too,just saying. Rifle and mz folks I want to avoid are easy,get away from roads. If you don't know another hunter is near,your not too wary of what else is around. Ungulates can see blue and orange is like neon gray .

No Idea why it isn't for Javie's...

I really don't have a dog in this fight but research shows that it does help...

What if it was only required by youth?

J-

People are free to wear it now, yet no one does except where required for on-range hunts. Why would that be?

After being raised in other states where it's required, it's one of the things I really like about NM in that it's a choice, and it's already hard enough to sneak within rifle range of barbary without dressing like a pumpkin...

I am not a fan of blaze orange at all. I usually deer hunt with a primitive ML and about 100 yards is my max shooting distance and I think blaze orange would make stalks a lot harder.

Been hunting my whole life. Huntined in CO where orange is required killed a lot of big bucks and bulls and they never knew what hit them. I belive it should be a choice. When I hunt here in nm with rifle and ML I wear orange as does my son, again lets keep it a choice.

Don't like it should keep it your choice but if they do change the rules how come not for everyone ? If firearm hunters have to ware it so should bow hunters.I'm not anti bow so don't jump me but if their tying to legislate our safety include everyone. How about Pinon pickers out during open hunts ? Bird watchers ? see the point... where dose it stop ?

CC

Against it.

Sometimes you need it some times you do not.

We cannot enforce the laws we got.

Lets not tie up our G&F guys writing tickets for no vest or frivolous things.

Why does our government keep trying to find ways to "PROTECT" us? I think its just our society now. When i was a kid i learned to ride a bike barefoot in shorts now we put a helmet, knee pads, elbow pads, long pants, and a long shirt on our kids. Lol. Our society has just changed. Now the government has decided we need to be protected from ourselves. I say let us take our own risks. I'm fine with blaze orange for youths but let the adults choose.

If they do decide to make it mandatory, maybe they could follow in Wyoming's footsteps. All they require is a hat.

Way better than some of the states with the 400+ square inches requirement.

I don't mind wearing the orange hat. I typically do that even when I am lucky enough to draw a tag in New Mexico.

I am 100% aginst it. I really hate going to hunt in other states that require it, especially CO that is rabid about it and actually measure square inches. I don't think it does anything for safety.

Also, javelina have the worst eyesight of any game animal! The fact that it wouldn't be required for javelina show how stupid this whole idea really is.

Who's idea was is for the orange anyway?... Bloomberg?

This another example of DGF Director Lane trying to Kentuckify the state of New Mexico. This is coming directly from him and it is about time he was shown that NM isn't interested in becoming the western version of a state he was run out of. Contact your game commissioner and let them know your view on the subject. Internet forum discussions won't affect the vote.

I honestly think it should not impact anyone's rifle hunt. Its a safety issue so you don't get shot, most bow shots are under 60 yards and nearly zero risk of confusing a target at that range. However with the new long range hunt craze, people are taking 1000 yard shots a lot more than they used to. I'd like to see the data to prove it reduces hunting accidents, then I'm all for it, but only a hat like wyoming.

What is the reason not to? If you are sneaky at all, the animals shouldn't be seeing you no matter what you are wearing until its too late, most cammo is made to sell to hunters, not to fool the eyes of deer and elk. In general I am a libertarian and oppose nanny state policies on fundamental grounds, but haven't heard a convincing argument against wearing an orange hat other than that.

I loathe the nanny state.

In hunter safety I was taught to always be sure of what I'm shooting at, and always know what's behind my target and where my bullet is going to land.

As has been said before, if you personally feel like you're in danger, and you think that wearing hunter orange will make you safer, you're free to wear it now. So why does the nanny state feel the need to force the rest of us wear flourescent orange even if we think it makes no difference for our own safety?

When I was eight years old, I lost my grandfather to a deer-hunting accident. Apparently, some idiot a-hole took a skyline shot, the bullet traveled for several miles, and landed in the bottom of my grandfather's heart as he was sitting on a rock overlooking a canyon. Killed him instantly. The fact that he was all decked out in flourescent orange did not prevent someone else from being an idiot a-hole.

A better use of our resources would be to remove the idiot a-holes from the gene pool...

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom