How Does the NR Draw work...

elks96

Long Time Member
For some reason I once understood how the NR draw system worked but I forgot.

I believe that only a portion of the licenses go to top point holders then the rest are random?

In the Wyoming can you apply for a PP as a first choice and then use your second choice as a chance to grab one of the random tags?

For the last several years I have done point only no second choice. I would love to have a shot at a random tag if I could do so without using my points.

Also if we apply as a group (my wife and I together) do we increase or decrease our odds of drawing? Would it be better for each of us to go in alone and hope 1 draws or is it better to go in
together.

Lastly I have tried sorting out the WY draw odds. Does anyone know of a place where I can look and see the number of NR who applied, the number of tags total, the number that went to Points, the number that went to random and the percent success people had in the random. It seems like WY is about 10 years behind Colorado in this area.

Yep; all you need to do is read the application booklet to answer your questions, look in the Final Regulations to see the total number of tags issued per unit, and then go into the draw odds and see how many tags were issued in each draw to the point holders in each pool along with those who drew the random tags in that last separate draw.

I'm glad this topic is up because I have questions about the Wyoming draw too.

I'm having trouble finding the second chance draw odds. I realize this changes year to year but I've been scouring the 2015 stats and can't seem to come to any conclusion on how to see if a tag was drawn as a second choice.

Is it in the "random draw" stats? The way I read that data is those are how many applicants rather than how many tags issued. Am I missing something?

I find WY one of the simplest states to understand. In general.... No you can not do a PP as a first choice and then put in for a second choice unit. You have to roll the dice and hope you don't draw what you put as choice #1.

If you look at the random odds it will tell you how many tags were available. Then it will list the number of 1,2,/and 3 choice applicants. Pretty easy to figure if any tags made it to the second choice applicants.

For 2nd choice, compare 1st choice apps to 1st choice tags and look for a surplus.

5165wy20142ndchoiceodds.jpg

Thanks for the replies and that's what I would have guessed as well. Here's the problem, I know people that drew second choice tags where that method would suggest it not to be possible.

2015 Random Non Resident Special General

Quota Column is 397
1st choice is over 600
I know people that drew it as second choice.

I'm not claiming any of the above posts are wrong.
I'm just trying to figure it out because I want to draw a second choice tag. I have a specific tag actually that I'd prefer and I'd like to know if it's even historically possible to get it as second choice.

>Thanks for the replies and that's
>what I would have guessed
>as well. Here's the
>problem, I know people
>that drew second choice tags
>where that method would suggest
>it not to be possible.
>
>
>2015 Random Non Resident Special General
>
>
>Quota Column is 397
>1st choice is over 600
>I know people that drew it
>as second choice.
>
>I'm not claiming any of the
>above posts are wrong.
>I'm just trying to figure it
>out because I want to
>draw a second choice tag.
> I have a specific
>tag actually that I'd prefer
>and I'd like to know
>if it's even historically possible
>to get it as second
>choice.

You and a lot of others can't figure that out because the G&F doesn't post how that happens. FYI after the draws are done for elk there are still generally a lot of tags left to get to the allotted 7250 that the statute allows NRs to have. Therefore, the G&F goes into the second choice applicants that applied for the general tag in the special draw and they give those tags out randomly until the 7250 quota is met. Until last year, everyone that applied in that draw with the general tag as a second choice got it and some even got it once in a while as a third choice. Last year the odds went way down because a lot of people began realizing that a general tag in Wyoming is still a good hunt and so many applied that way that there were more of them than there were tags left.

Yes, the general tag in the special draw is what they use to reach that 7250 quota. You should be looking at the unit you want like WapitiBob mentioned and if there are more first choice applicants than tags, then you are out of luck putting it as a second choice to try and save you points and draw that tag.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom