HELL-RIGHT,HELL-F'N-RIGHT!!!

Has there ever been a known significant deer die-off in Northern Utah due to a drought? We have plenty of evidence of severe winters dramatically limiting herd size where the effects have lasted years, but has the inverse been true?

Has Southern Utah ever seen a significant deer die-off from drought? One of the worst on record was only a few years ago, but was there a verifiable reduction in herd size?

Just trying to see if there is much weight to the idea that the benefit of significant snow outweighs the harm.

Grizzly

-----------------------------------------

Ask yourself if you agree with the following statement...

"It's time to revisit the widely accepted principle in the United States and Canada that game is a public resource."
-Don Peay, Founder of SFW, as quoted in Anchorage Daily News

I have no data to show for this, but I'd suggest that these two things are very much related. If deer go into winter not healthy, there is a larger chance of die off, regardless of the winter. Hence, where drought kills animals is not in the heat of the summer, but the cold of the winter, even if the winter is not extreme.

So Do Tell Me Boys?

Which Animal is Tougher?

A Modern Day Jack Rabbit Sized Mule Deer of today?

Or 250 lb + Deer of Yester-Years?

I know so many people in so many places
They make allot of money but they got sad faces

It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

I am on here way to much in my view of it. But not enough to wait around for number 100. Ahh I guess it isn't over. Ok here is my plan. Give no one a tag for three or four years let the herd increase. But let the life timers hunt. Because they would get a major lawsuit if they tried to take away our guaranteed tags. We only trophy hunt anyway and would only take the old weak bucks. Much like a mountain lion. ?????

>So Do Tell Me Boys?
>
>Which Animal is Tougher?
>
>A Modern Day Jack Rabbit Sized
>Mule Deer of today?
>
>Or 250 lb + Deer of
>Yester-Years?
>
>

So where are those 250 lb + deer of Yester-Years now? Like I said, it's the survival of the FITTEST, not the biggest, that matters to nature. In fact, my first archery deer was a 75 lb mature pregnant muley doe above the Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu, California and she was a tough one to eat. Those hills above the beach are steep, dry, smoggy, and full of people, feral cats, stray dogs, coyotes, bobcats and rattlesnakes, but the deer thrive to the point that they are a nuisance. Size matters alright, but not the way you're thinking.

>I am on here way to
>much in my view of
>it. But not enough to
>wait around for number 100.
>Ahh I guess it isn't
>over. Ok here is my
>plan. Give no one a
>tag for three or four
>years let the herd increase.
>But let the life timers
>hunt. Because they would get
>a major lawsuit if they
>tried to take away our
>guaranteed tags. We only trophy
>hunt anyway and would only
>take the old weak bucks.
>Much like a mountain lion.
>?????

Hey BIGJOHN!

I Heard they are Gonna Take the Life Time Tags away from Hunters First!:D

I posted this earlier on another thread. No one was impressed. :)

Just shut down all the hunts completely for 5 years.

If after 5 years the herd has increased at least 50% reopen to hunting on a purely random draw basis with a reduction of at least 50% in current tag numbers.

No CMWU's , LE tags or conservation / convention tags.

If at the end of 5 years the herd has not improved 50% leave all units closed until the numbers come up.

>I posted this earlier on another
>thread. No one was impressed.
>:)
>
>Just shut down all the hunts
>completely for 5 years.
>
>If after 5 years the herd
>has increased at least 50%
>reopen to hunting on a
>purely random draw basis with
>a reduction of at least
>50% in current tag numbers.
>
>
>No CMWU's , LE tags or
>conservation / convention tags.
>
>If at the end of 5
>years the herd has not
>improved 50% leave all units
>closed until the numbers come
>up.

And if the numbers never come up?

I'm glad we have cwmus, most of them are growing some great bucks and bulls
That's not because they aren't managing their animals. Plus those deer and elk might just leave the border giving some lucky joe the chance of harvesting a great animal

For the most part..cwmu and alot of the other private lands are the only places our big game is managed right every thing else except some le units are just plain hunted to death

>For the most part..cwmu and alot
>of the other private lands
>are the only places our
>big game is managed right
>every thing else except some
>le units are just plain
>hunted to death

Yup!

I Wonder if We'll Hunt them to Extinction?

>>I posted this earlier on another
>>thread. No one was impressed.
>>:)
>>
>>Just shut down all the hunts
>>completely for 5 years.
>>
>>If after 5 years the herd
>>has increased at least 50%
>>reopen to hunting on a
>>purely random draw basis with
>>a reduction of at least
>>50% in current tag numbers.
>>
>>
>>No CMWU's , LE tags or
>>conservation / convention tags.
>>
>>If at the end of 5
>>years the herd has not
>>improved 50% leave all units
>>closed until the numbers come
>>up.
>
>And if the numbers never come
>up?

Then people may have to look for a different problem than "over harvest"

Good news is by then nobody will care anymore.

The argument that higher buck numbers dont increase deer herds because they dont birth babies has been an argument for a while now, and the DWR mixed that koolaid and many have drank it. But lets look at predators, Lions kill lots of bucks in the rut, but if they dont have many bucks to tangle with then what do they end up killing, the does that would give birth. More bucks is not a bad thing, it only is if you are at carrying capacity and then you should look at a reduction, but no unit is at carrying capacity.

One More addition to the New Plan/Rules!

You Will NOT be Hunting Deer/Elk/Big Game Continuously & Overlapped From Mid-August Through JAN/FEB anymore!

Hound Doggers will get some of their Own Time on the Mountain!

HENCE:

Hound Doggers Won't Be Stirrin Shhhiiit Up during Big Game LE Hunts!

And Big Game Hunters Won't be Interfering with the Hounders During their allotted time!

We've got to work with each other on this one!

But This BS of Hunting Big Game 24/7 for 5 or 6 months is coming to an end!

All We've been doing for years is Pushing Game!

Pushing Game So Hard they Live More on Private/Lower Elevations where People start Screaming & More Depredation Permits get issued = more Deer Slaughtered!

If You were getting Pressured that hard,where the Hell would you be living trying to survive?

Sure the Hell Wouldn't be the Mountains anymore!

HELL-F'N-RIGHT!

You hunt 24/7 during the open hunting seasons? You probably ought to stop doing that.

Outside of your breaking current laws by doing that, your post has me interested. I actually agree our chase time probably goes too long. But that easy to identify, coming up with a new season structure is not so easy.

So what's the plan bessy? What would the season dates look like in your new world?

>You hunt 24/7 during the open
>hunting seasons? You probably ought
>to stop doing that.
>
>Outside of your breaking current laws
>by doing that, your post
>has me interested. I actually
>agree our chase time probably
>goes too long. But that
>easy to identify, coming up
>with a new season structure
>is not so easy.
>
>So what's the plan bessy? What
>would the season dates look
>like in your new world?
>

So Niller?

I Take it You've Never Stayed Up all Night in an LE Unit to see what kinda BS Goes on when the Sun Goes Down?

Nope. When I'm in a LE unit during the hunts, I'm asleep so I can help hunt the next day.

What about those season dates? I'm wanting to get on board with this, but need to see the proposal before I can decide.

>Nope. When I'm in a LE
>unit during the hunts, I'm
>asleep so I can help
>hunt the next day.
>
>What about those season dates? I'm
>wanting to get on board
>with this, but need to
>see the proposal before I
>can decide.

You Asked for 3 Things Niller!

I've gave you more than 3!

You can add your Season Dates to the List!

But.................!

You Are NOT Hunting Big Game Continuously & Over-Lapped from Mid-August in to JAN/FEB!

Them Days are Done!

Some way,Some how,there's gonna be some Relaxed Time for the Deer Herd!

So Niller?

You Don't Have a Clue what Goes on when the Lights go Out & other Lights come on at Night During Seasons?

I Get a Feeling You Don't wanna Give Up:

Your Precious CAMO?

Your High Dollar Weaponry!

Any of Your Opportunities!

So WTF are You gonna Change besides more Fencing?

Post Your BIG Plan up Niller!

Include Dates!

I'm Bendable on Hunt Dates!

But Remember:

Some will have to Give all & All will have to Give Some!

HELL-RIGHT!

LAST EDITED ON Dec-22-19 AT 07:59AM (MST)[p]>I Get a Feeling You Don't
>wanna Give Up:
>
>Your Precious CAMO?
>
>Your High Dollar Weaponry!
>
>Any of Your Opportunities!
>
>So WTF are You gonna Change
>besides more Fencing?
>
>Post Your BIG Plan up Niller!
>
>
>Include Dates!
>
>I'm Bendable on Hunt Dates!
>
>But Remember:
>
>Some will have to Give all
>& All will have to
>Give Some!

The camo comment was made in jest Bessy. I was mocking you, (RAZZIN) and it makes it even funnier when you seem to have focused upon it! The reality is that camo is not what is hurting our deer herds. I'm only interested in ideas and changes that will have an impact. What color of clothing people wear under their bright hunter orange is not going to make a difference for a single deer out there.

High priced weaponry? Ha! I'll let you know when I have some. My binos still say ?Made in West Germany? on them. They are older than 60+% of the Monster Muley members, I'd wager.

You are correct in your third assertion, though. I really don't want to give up hunting opportunities. Weird thing about hunters, we like to hunt! I'll do anything that is biologically necessary to maintain a healthy deer herd. If hunting is shown to be a limiting factor in our deer herd, I support reducing tags. The flip side of the coin is what I mentioned above. I'm not interested in changing things just to change. If it won't have a benefit to the overall health of the herd, I don't want to do it. I have zero interest in reducing opportunities for everyone so that it makes it easier for you (or anyone else) to find a ?trophy? buck. Especially when they are there, you (or anyone else complaining) just aren't finding them. I don't want to hear about one day driving roads and not seeing deer for my biological assessment of the herd and the herd?s needs.

What else am I going to change When I'm king? I would monitor Internet forums and anyone complaining about how I'm doing things for wildlife and hunting would get a lifetime ban on hunting in Utah and all 50 states. that ought to help with point creep and thin out some of the competition in the hills each fall.

I don't have a plan Bessy. But I am not the one constantly complaining that changes are needed. My experience in the hills the last 10 years is not what others are saying. Is anyone wrong? Nope, that's just our own experience. I don't see many of the issues others talk about. Maybe I'm just lucky?

The hunt dates is the tricky one. I do agree we need to cut that back some, and I'll be the first to admit I don't know how to do it. Archery is the toughest part. They want to go first. They want the longest season. They want to be able to come back and hunt the extended. And now they're even demanding their season moves and runs through the elk rut. demanding little buggers, those stick flippers are! How do you even start working through the issue when there is a large group saying that even though they have double or triple the opportunities everyone else has, they still don't have enough? Maybe we ban archery hunting all together? Now THAT would be something that people didn't like.

I'm open to ideas on the season date structure, but that is going to be a TOUGH one.

Made in West Germany Must be a Cadillac Version compared to My Bushnell Spotter!:D

Come on Niller,You Ain't Packin a Lever Action!:D

They Don't All need to Be Trophy Bucks!

But We need some Decent Genetics Left come Rut Time Niller!

To Have as Many Different Hunts We Have,trying to Re-Configure Hunt Dates could Be a Real CLUSTERF##K!

Thinning that many Hunts down a little will Help,But I agree,You Ain't Never gonna Satisfy All TARDS & I don't care what you do!

Beyond Tough!

But I Hope You're Smart Enough to know You Can't Keep going the Direction it's been going for Decades!

NOT COMPLAINING FOR GAWDS SAKES!

Something needs to be done & it's Way Past Time,You gonna Argue with that?

HELL-F'N-RIGHT!

Haven?t they been cutting tags for decades?

By cutting tags aren't you just continuing the course we've been doing for decades?

Tags is an easy answer, but if we take the people saying the sky is falling with deer hunting as the gospel truth, cutting tags significantly for decades now hasn't helped. Why keep doing something that hasn't helped yet?

>Haven?t they been cutting tags for
>decades?
>
>By cutting tags aren't you just
>continuing the course we've been
>doing for decades?
>
>Tags is an easy answer, but
>if we take the people
>saying the sky is falling
>with deer hunting as the
>gospel truth, cutting tags significantly
>for decades now hasn't helped.
>Why keep doing something that
>hasn't helped yet?

And Doing STUPID SShhhiiitttt for Decades Ain't Helped the Herd Neither!

LAST EDITED ON Dec-22-19 AT 08:53PM (MST)[p]Is one of those stupid things reducing tags more than in half over the last few decades?

Should we cut them in half again just to see what happens?

Or should we try new tactics for once?

>LAST EDITED ON Dec-22-19
>AT 08:53?PM (MST)

>
>Is one of those stupid things
>reducing tags more than in
>half over the last few
>decades?
>
>Should we cut them in half
>again just to see what
>happens?
>
>Or should we try new tactics
>for once?

GEEZUS Niller get the Ear Plugs out!

I've Told you Many times there are at Least 50+ Reasons/Problems!

But You Don't F'N Listen!

You Can Triple the Tags & Finish the Herd Off if it makes You Feel Better!

Some Just can't see in to the Future not even one Damn Year!

JFP!

Gonna SPLAIN Something to You Niller:

Maybe You've never Noticed or Cared?

I've seen several Units/Areas in years Past that were Managed so PISS POORLY they had to be Closed!

You Remember any of them?

Or are You so Young you don't know?

Or are you so F'N Bull-Headed You Don't Care?

With Proper Management NO Areas should have had to of been Closed!

But instead of making changes to keep from closing them Units We just Pounded them out to nothing & Then Closed them,WAFJ!

PAY A-F'N-TENTION here Niller:

It Will take More than Just cutting Tag Numbers!

Did You Hear Me Niller?

You seem to wanna Blame a Poor/Suffering Deer Herd on Just a couple items,Try 50+ Reasons why & then get back with us!

Keep Your High Dollar Camo Tucked under Your PUMPKIN Suit Niller!:D

Actually, I think you are the one not paying attention. You seem to think I'm blaming the poor deer herd on a couple things.

You have never seen me post that there is a poor deer herd.

Pay attention Bessy.

So you've seen units closed down!!! And now those units are highly sought after LE units? ?Trophy? units where they don't give out a ton of tags. Isn?t that exactly what you want?

Anybody ever Wonder How Many Wounded Animals Limp Off & Die with 3 Different Types of Long Bomb BS Shots?

I Heard a few Archery & a Few Muzz Hunters admit they wounded Animal/Animals & Said F'it,I'm Shooting Until I Kill one I can Find!

Ya!

I Know it's Happened forever!

But It Damn Well Happens More Now!

HELL-RIGHT!

Anybody ever Wonder How Many Wounded Animals Limp Off & Die with 3 Different Types of Long Bomb BS Shots?

I Heard a few Archery & a Few Muzz Hunters admit they wounded Animal/Animals & Said F'it,I'm Shooting Until I Kill one I can Find!

Ya!

I Know it's Happened forever!

But It Damn Well Happens More Now!

HELL-RIGHT!

I would wager any amount of money in the world it doesn't happen more today than it did back in “the good old days.” There were more than double the amount of hunters out there blasting away without decent scopes, good bullets, or any idea how far they were shooting.

There is absolutely ZERO chance this happens more today than it did in your prime, old Bess cat. No chance.

I would wager any amount of money in the world it doesn't happen more today than it did back in “the good old days.” There were more than double the amount of hunters out there blasting away without decent scopes, good bullets, or any idea how far they were shooting.

There is absolutely ZERO chance this happens more today than it did in your prime, old Bess cat. No chance.
You Just F'N Prove that there Niller!

I can ask you to do the same thing. Logic is on my side of the argument, however.

Usually is with us! :) ;) :)

Hey Niller?

Tell Us How Many Things You're Willing to 'GIVE' on besides your LL You've already forfeited?

I've got no desire to hunt cougar, but I'll go kill a female cat if you'll pay the guides for the hounds. Ball is in your court, bessy! Let me know.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom