Head space Question...

Homer

Long Time Member
I have a new to me savage 99 chambered in 303 savage,....they are rimmed....they drop into the camber fine, clear to the rim.....but then it takes some effort to fully close the lever, about the last 1/2" of lever travel, less than 1/8" bolt travel.

These are new norma brass still unprimed. Does not appear they are head spacing off the shoulder meaning they are long....

Any idea?

There is videos out there that show using your resizing die, you can set it by removing the firing pin assembly from the bolt. Resize the cartridge an 1/8 turn at a time till the bolt almost falls into the cocked position. Should drop in there pretty easy. Poor mans way of bumping the shoulders till cartridge fits. After that you need to find where the ogive of the projectile fits into the breech. Every rifle seems to be a bit different. There are many folks much, much more proficient than I about explaining this but if you don't have all the head space tools, this worked for me.

Ya, I had always assumed new brass was well within specs- but turns out that isn't always true- combine that with a tight chamber and you got issues. So now I always prep new brass just like used brass.

One other potential issue (I discovered this with a new rifle) is height of rim. I bought several boxes of new Nosler brass for 300WSM. About 10% of the brass had a rim height that was too high for ejection in my bolt action. (Took a while to figure that one out)

Thinking about your lever action- that might be an even greater issue.
1720434614613.png

1720434625666.png

I have taken the sizing dies and removed the expander ball /decapping pin out of the die and then put a case in with a feeler guage under the case to move it deeper into the die. give it a try! ce61

If you play with sizing, try different shell holders. I’ve found that trying other brands are better for things like that than the one in the die set, sometimes at least. Keep track of the one that works the best.

I considered multiple options- and the trash bin was the final answer. Thank god they were consistent- 90% were .049, 10% were .055. Nothing in between...

Interesting topic.

My 250-3000 savage doesn't like reloads either. The lever doesn't like to close.
They are still new unprimed brass……..you’d think if anything they’s be to low end of spec…..of course who knows what a 1915 chamber measures….

I use these LE Wilson gauges on a few of my cartridges. It’s not totally necessary, I use to just quick check cases mostly. I like cool tools too so that may be part of it. They provide a quick check to length and sizing. Most of my rifle loading is custom for bolt actions so they won’t really work there, but for semi and levers, they are useful.

of course who knows what a 1915 chamber measures
That would be my guess. If they make one, id get a Redding body die and bump the shoulder back a little at a time till you find the right off set. Low tech, but it should work

That would be my guess. If they make one, id get a Redding body die and bump the shoulder back a little at a time till you find the right off set. Low tech, but it should work
I pushed the shoulder back .010.....no change

I don't really need a body die.....I'm working with unprimed norma brass.....or maybe I do....what would a body die do that a full length resizing die not do?

I don't really need a body die.....I'm working with unprimed norma brass.....or maybe I do....what would a body die do that a full length resizing die not do?
Redding has score that just bumps the shoulder. I’m pretty sure they call it a “body die” that’s what I remember anyway. I e got a few but haven’t had a new caliber in a while so have looked at new ones lately. But if you bumped it back and the same things going on it could be the necks.

Smoke one with a candle and see what’s rubbing

So if the brass plunks into the chamber fine then it’s not a brass or chamber issue. Take the fore end off and look at the spring in the front of the magazine. Is it loose?

hmmm.....more info

If that thing gets loose it extends into the action and can make the last little bit of lever throw difficult.if it’s loose don’t just go at it with a regular screw driver. Get one of those meaty flat head screw drivers and cut a notch in it so it fits over the outer dimensions of that nut. That way you can get a good purchase on tightening it. Report back.

Grafs has some loaded ammo you could try

If that thing gets loose it extends into the action and can make the last little bit of lever throw difficult.if it’s loose don’t just go at it with a regular screw driver. Get one of those meaty flat head screw drivers and cut a notch in it so it fits over the outer dimensions of that nut. That way you can get a good purchase on tightening it. Report back.
would it also be hard to close with nothing in the chamber.......?....because with nothing in the chamber no problem?

Grafs has some loaded ammo you could try
Can I have it sent to you and you’ll deliver it?…..remember where I am?

Homer- can you get your hands on any other brass or ammo- just to see if it is the norma brass or the gun?

Just cut the brass in half. Chamber it and if it's still sticky then it's the rim or the bolt face is not aligned. Extractor is sticking? Ejector is sticking? Could even be chambered in a different caliber? :)

Does it say 303 savage on the barrel? Pretty much nothing else after that.

Just cut the brass in half. Chamber it and if it's still sticky then it's the rim or the bolt face is not aligned. Extractor is sticking? Ejector is sticking? Could even be chambered in a different caliber? :)

Does it say 303 savage on the barrel? Pretty much nothing else after that.
I was just thinking the same thing......and yes....is says 303

I kept pushing the shoulder back....now back .020.....closes decent now....I am going to lightly load it and shoot it......then inspect case.....

Take one of the cases that is hard to close. Mark up the neck and shoulder with a sharpie. Chamber and eject and see where it rubs off.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom