HEAD SHOTS...

"An elk's head is alot bigger than a hog's so can we try 200 yard shot on elk?" LMAO!! Or 300 yards on a cow moose?? :)

Topgun, you're definitely a hypocrite dude...

Please though by all means, rip my ass for shooting chipmunks with my bow/judo tips at 30-70 yards...I'm definitely NOT aiming for thier little tiny heads!! I only take heart shots on em ;-)

Gator has been the most spot on with this thread IMO!!

~Z~

TOPGUN I have RAISED and BUTCHERED hogs and am quite familiar with pig anatomy (yes I know there are differences in wild hogs such as the heavy shoulder plate) so I know the size of a hog head and brain and it amounts to no difference from shooting a deer in the BRAIN as THAT is the intended target in a head shot.

You say you wouldn't miss a hog shot in the brain unless you had your eyes closed. Well I am sure that is the way the people condoning head shots on other game feel about their shooting too. I am not saying you are lying about your shooting ability I am calling YOU out on judging OTHERS' shooting ability by saying your way is right and theirs is wrong based solely on what YOU have seen and done. That only makes it right for YOU and anyone else who chooses to use YOUR experience as a model.

You are entitled to your opinion just as any other here and you can even be adamant about it but when your hypocritical about it someone is gonna call you on it.

Oh and I don't know my game count but I am 41 and have hunted since I could legally (12 here in CA) and killed 2 blacktails a year more years than not and hunted out of state quite a bit and have about %75 success on that so I would put my deer count somewhere north of 50 I have lost 1 buck that I know I hit low across the brisket with a rifle and two with a bow hit the same and none left blood trails that could be followed without a dog.

I have seen a jaw shot first hand and know of another my dad shot and both bucks dropped like rocks initially and were dispatched when they were shot again after standing upon the hunter's approach. I have a hunch that in most cases they drop when jaw shot and the only way they get away is if the hunter's approach takes them out of view of the animal or the hunter fails to take his gun with him to retrieve the animal (crazy I know but I have a story about that one too).

If you can shoot well and are within your shooting capabilities and comfortable with the shot take it otherwise don't!

Bill

Just one point I would throw in there, For the most part we are talking shooting head shots with a rifle, NOT A BOW!!! All the whining about the arrows in the head and neck, bla bla bla. Should NOT even be in this discussion no one should take a bow head shot, head on, broad side, what ever. PERIOD NEVER. Now with a rifle that is a whole different animal. To what most with a little sense have said, do what you are capable of. If you are not DON'T!!! What makes one way better than the other? Ability? Confidence? Pratice? I think All. If you can DO, if you can't DONT! But for the love of GOD stop whining just because you can't. Just do not do it. Let those of us who can shoot like that, shoot our animals the way we have been for decades. Please stop the whining, save a whale in Africa, A polar bear in Russia, But stop whining.

I don't see anybody "whining" that they can't do it and I think I have more than a "little sense"! I could try to shoot more than hogs in the head the way all my rifles shoot under 1 MOA on paper, but those other animal heads move quickly and you can miss or cripple because of that movement, regardless of how good you are and how accurate the rifle is! If none of you have hunted hogs, maybe you don't realize how short the head/neck area is and that normally the entire animal moves, rather than turning it's head any significant amount quickly like the others do. It's sort of like an elephant. You shoot them in the head, rather than the body because it's big and the most humane way to quickly seal the deal and not get stomped on. It's basically the same deal with a hog. I'll withdraw from this thread now because it's obvious that some will remain unconvinced, so do your own thing and I hope no critters are maimed as a result!

Came across this in an E-mail.

Thought it was fitting to the thread and interesting.

A guy killed this elk and he found this arrow in the skull.

Who knows if the archer was taking a head shot or if he just missed that bad.

Either way, had to suck for the elk!

9789bhb-1a.jpg

8408bhb-1b.jpg

4358bhb-1-w.jpg

28bhb-2-w.jpg

6326bhb-3-w.jpg

4461bhb-4-w.jpg

2918bhb-5-w.jpg

THE END of WHAT?

I didn't find ANYONE in the thread that supported head shots on elk with archery gear so if your somehow declaring that the supporting photos of an elk with a broadhead in his eye socket clears something up...... I gotta say that one was already pretty clear and NOT part of the original question or discussion.

DON"T TAKE HEAD SHOTS WITH ARCHERY TACKLE!!!!!

THE END!!!!

IF YOU ARE A GOOD SHOT WITH A CAPABLE FIREARM INSIDE YOUR CAPABLE RANGE IT IS YOUR DECISION TO SHOOT OR NOT!! NOT SOME GROUP OF GUYS ON THE INTERNET YOU DON'T REALLY KNOW AND MAY OR MAY NOT SHARE YOUR CAPABILITIES!!!

Bill

Only the great know more then you, I always get a kick out some-one telling someone else how to do things(your way of hunting is my way of hunting and my way is right) LOL. Kind of like people who move to a new state to get away from the their old state problems then try and make the new place they move to just like the old place they just left. LOL

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

LAST EDITED ON Jan-14-11 AT 12:41PM (MST)[p]I think head shots are ok for the person who has the capablity to do the head shot otherwise go the the neck or boiler room. Wounding on a head shot is bad for you and the deer.

Kind
>of like people who move
>to a new state to
>get away from the their
>old state problems then try
>and make the new place
>they move to just like
>the old place they just
>left. LOL

This Californian would like to move to Colorado and start changing things.

First thing I'd change is the trapping ban.
Next I'd change the pure preference point system to a bonus point system.
Then I'd work on getting more big bulls on the mountain.

Sorry.
Next....

Does and cow elk are most often a head shot if I am under 150 yards. With them you usually have time to get well rested up etc.

"The end of this post!!!"

Apparently not for anyone but you.

Are you a moderator?

Or are you just picking up your toys and going home because your always right and nobody else seems to understand this fact!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom