HAS ANYBODY INSTALLED HEAVY DUTY CASTERS ON THE BACK OF THEIR FIFTH WHEEL/TRAILER?

elkassassin

Long Time Member
Many Years Ago On My Old Fifth Wheel I Built Some Skid Plates Out Of Pipe & Had My Brother Weld Them To The Bottom Of The Frame On The Back!

They Have Worked Awesome!

Yes,She's Been Skidded Many A Times!

Thinking About Maybe Going With Some Heavy Duty Casters That Swivel This Time!

I Seen These On Northern's Website:

Just Wondering If Any Of You Guys Have Tried The Casters & What Kinda Luck You've Had With Them?

Thanks!

Consider doing the same for my car hauler. However I think these would be a better option as I think the casters would be too low and get riped off. I've seen these on this link installed a little bit recessed into the frame so they only stick out a couple inches. I've seen them in action and they definitely protect the bottom of the trailer from getting messed up.

They might work if you were strictly on pavement. Any type of dirt, especially soft dirt where they would sump in like a plow, would tear them off.

I wish my neighbor across the road would get that. Every time he pulls out of his driveway, he wakes up the entire neighborhood.

Instead of the metal bar hanging down. Years ago I had metal rolling wheels added to the back of my trailer. But they are not like those rubber weak thing. They are solid metal with a good bearing . Made for a trailer.

I like Polaris _Doc idea. Wish they showed dimension it hangs down, but scaling from others, probably 3”. Could always recess them. I am presently looking at a longer 5th wheel now, and I have a property that has steep driveway. This would be a lot cheaper than spending a few thousand to reprofile driveway.

I've Been Doing Alot Of Looking!

I Found A USA Manufacturer Selling/Making These!

12,000lb Rating!

Total Height Is about 1-3/4"!

What Do You Guys Think Of These?

1724159352407.png

Best thing to do would be to park your rig in a scenario where you can look and measure what you have. The triple roller would probably only catch the furthest two out. Hence the suggestions for a wide single. You don't need to support 12k#, just to not drag the ass around on the asphalt and bend/break stuff. Bolt/weld on a couple wide low profile rollers to the frame rails and you'll be good to go.

Agree with Polaris Doc again, but I do like the overall low height of 1 1/2”. My steep driveway doesn’t have very good(thick) asphalt. The wider the roller, the better, so it won’t dig in. Those front two rows(on anbove pic) are probably not going to do much good.

I agree with lower profile being better for many reasons, but depending on the practicality of mounting and even the possibility of having them too low it could render them useless. Depending on how far down the edge of the trailer are compared to the frame rails dictates the height of rollers you need. The inch and a half height might be good in some cases, but if the rear trim of a toy hauler or enclosed trailer would hit before the rollers would then they wouldn't do much good. As an example, near me there is a side service road that has a short little drive up onto the main highway. I've seen many people with the trailers drag the ass end of a very nice expensive setup all across asphalt until the trailer gets up on the incline. Some of them would need a higher profile wheel setup to clear the nice trim versus my car holler that has the frame rails hanging down a little ways.
See this link for another option. It is for a RV slide out, but depending on how much force is put down on them would possibly destroy them or make them perfectly fine. I have something lighter weight like this on my 4-place snowmobile trailer and it holds up just fine, but it's also not a giant fifth wheel toy hauler.

We installed foam filled wheelbarrow wheels/tires mounted on the bottom of the rear trailer frame after welding on a u-bracket to mount them to. After trial and error we ended up with a pair of tires on each side to share the sudden weight they experienced while off road. Quick and cheap at home project.

Gonna Take More Than Foam Filled Wheelbarrow Tires On Mine!

We installed foam filled wheelbarrow wheels/tires mounted on the bottom of the rear trailer frame after welding on a u-bracket to mount them to. After trial and error we ended up with a pair of tires on each side to share the sudden weight they experienced while off road. Quick and cheap at home project.

I don't know Elk, this was a 32' toy hauler fully loaded. Those wheels are good for 1,500 pounds each so 5-6k pounds of load they can carry, twice that for momentary loads.
On these set ups you can follow a trailer that has them and only see intermittent marks where the idler tires make contact with the trail.
We went the wide caster route first and it didn't help much, once they sunk into the trail when it got soft the rear bumper was dragging again.
Larger radius tires solved that.

Well!

I Won't Argue A Real Heavy Duty Tire Might Work!

I Just Don't Need Anything Near The Diameter Of A Wheel Barrow Tire!

I Cant Find A Wide Roller Tough Enough!

My Trailer Is Around 36' Long & Once All The BS My Wife Thinks We Need She's Kinda Heavy!:D

Then When I Put My ATV Trailer Behind It.............!

Ya!

Don't Get In A JAM/Tight Spot When You Gotta Back That Up!

I don't know Elk, this was a 32' toy hauler fully loaded. Those wheels are good for 1,500 pounds each so 5-6k pounds of load they can carry, twice that for momentary loads.
On these set ups you can follow a trailer that has them and only see intermittent marks where the idler tires make contact with the trail.
We went the wide caster route first and it didn't help much, once they sunk into the trail when it got soft the rear bumper was dragging again.
Larger radius tires solved that.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom