Greatest Mule Deer Hunter of all time?

Definitely Jason Carter who's still in his 40's. He has over 20 bucks over 200" and he's primarily DIY. I know at least one was over 250".

Thomas Baker is killing Monsters while dodging the Cartel, that takes balls and he’s been around a lot of big Deer.

You have all lost your damn minds. There are those who do give a **** about scores. I know 2 men, one is my dad. The other has more 30” mule deer than any man I know. These men don’t care scores. I knew Doyle when he finished concrete. He is a kind man period.

He's solely responsible for the disease that is Utah hunting.

Kind, nice, or whatever, his business model is a cancer.

the story I read about the state record typical elk in montana, if I remember correctly, the antler were left behind until a friend went and got them. There was a time when the body weight was the trophy, just imagine the deer antlers tossed out over the years, just imagine the poached deer that never made it into a book or magazine. I bet the best deer hunter was a semi truck

the story I read about the state record typical elk in montana, if I remember correctly, the antler were left behind until a friend went and got them. There was a time when the body weight was the trophy, just imagine the deer antlers tossed out over the years, just imagine the poached deer that never made it into a book or magazine. I bet the best deer hunter was a semi truck
That semi route would be from Heber to the Basin…

Who was the dude that used to make those amazing videos on the pauns in Utah and Arizona border. He sat a couple diff waterholes for a month in the rut filming giant buck after giant buck. I think it was in the early 90 s he did this.
Giant after giant coming into water.
Anyone remember that dudes name.
I watched his video over and over and over , there were so many giants coming into those tanks.

Good question. I bet there a lot of sleepers out there that have taken some great trophies. Reading the answers some have given put an emphasis on big bucks and others talk about the guy that hunts without guides and finds his animals. I don't believe there is a correct answer as most have an opinion on what makes a great hunter. Just my thought

Good question. I bet there a lot of sleepers out there that have taken some great trophies. Reading the answers some have given put an emphasis on big bucks and others talk about the guy that hunts without guides and finds his animals. I don't believe there is a correct answer as most have an opinion on what makes a great hunter. Just my thought
Wouldn't the guide actually be the better hunter?

There's a lot of great muley hunters just in the town I live in that absolutely don't show off their bucks but have big collections of bucks exceeding 200". I have a nice collection, but some of these guys blow me out of the water!

The best muley hunter might be someone none of us have ever heard of!

I agree that the celebrity guided hunts or those who hunt only where the biggest bucks are and using fame and money to get to them is not going to buy my vote.

I honestly think the best mule deer hunters dont have the trophies hanging on their own walls. Think about people you know that can consistently put people on trophy class deer no matter the unit. But they themselves cannot draw, or buy these tags. But they can show up to a unit, and turn up quality deer. Now, greatest of all time, I dont know. But some of the greatest I know, have help others kill big bucks more then themselves.

Who was the dude that used to make those amazing videos on the pauns in Utah and Arizona border. He sat a couple diff waterholes for a month in the rut filming giant buck after giant buck. I think it was in the early 90 s he did this.
Giant after giant coming into water.
Anyone remember that dudes name.
I watched his video over and over and over , there were so many giants coming into those tanks.
Ryan Hatch. I used to watch his videos and was in AWWWWW. Some very cool stuff back in day.

Another one I didnt see, unless I missed it, was Dennis Winch. He killed a few giants in his day.

But one thing aside, for me, whos the best hunter on general tags on public land?

I think what a "great hunter" is has changed over the last 30 years.
Today, glassing (great eyes), patience and having the right equipment can make you a great hunter or lots of $$$$$$ (don't get me wrong those folks are not great deer hunters but they kill big bucks). Thirty years ago it was more about what I would call "Technical Hunting" where you had to be really good at entering where the deer live and coming out on top. (both the deer and the hunter used all of their senses to outwit each other. (I prefer 30 years ago as the baseline on who was a great hunter)

Ryan Hatch. I used to watch his videos and was in AWWWWW. Some very cool stuff back in day.

Another one I didnt see, unless I missed it, was Dennis Winch. He killed a few giants in his day.

But one thing aside, for me, whos the best hunter on general tags on public land?
It wasn’t ryan for sure. I can picture the dude but no name comes to memory. He had dark hair. I don’t think he was famous for killing big deer but more for his videos. They were filmed in the late late 80 ‘s on pauns and kaibab on waterholes.
Someone on here had to have watched those videos. Dude sat waterholes with an old school vhs recorder for a month filming huge bucks. Not hunting just filming.

It wasn’t ryan for sure. I can picture the dude but no name comes to memory. He had dark hair. I don’t think he was famous for killing big deer but more for his videos. They were filmed in the late late 80 ‘s on pauns and kaibab on waterholes.
Someone on here had to have watched those videos. Dude sat waterholes with an old school vhs recorder for a month filming huge bucks. Not hunting just filming.
I believe you might be talking about Sam Carpenter.
The story is he was the man that had turned in Ryan Hatch for poaching when Ryan was young, it turned out to be a great friendship and Ryan credits him for the success that Ryan had with his Muley Crazy series.
I believe there is am old post from around ten years ago that shared some of his photos, and believe you can find his photos on Instagram, but I don't have account so can't tell you forsure.

I believe you might be talking about Sam Carpenter.
The story is he was the man that had turned in Ryan Hatch for poaching when Ryan was young, it turned out to be a great friendship and Ryan credits him for the success that Ryan had with his Muley Crazy series.
I believe there is am old post from around ten years ago that shared some of his photos, and believe you can find his photos on Instagram, but I don't have account so can't tell you forsure.
I think you are right on that. That rings a bell about Sam Carpenter.

In my mind I would break it down like this.
1. Method of take. Archery is obviously much harder than other methods so any hunter that gets it done with archery equipment is in a different league.
2. Giant old bucks taken in general season units Do It Yourself style. Areas that have a ton of hunting pressure are much more difficult than private land, or high dollar limited entry or because they have the most money to buy top notch tags or pay high priced outfitters.
3. Harvesting huge bucks in the modern era, even with all the modern tech is probably harder in many ways than what the old timers had in the 60's because there were so many more big bucks around, maybe I'm wrong here?
4. Diversity of terrain. This one I think the guys getting it done in the high country it is just harder than on flat land plains bucks that they get multiple stalk attempts in easy to navigate terrain.

Guys like this guy Mike Hirschi, Sean Morgan, Nate Simmons, Founder, Wes Hogan, and a few others they are like the Michael Jordans mule deer hunting. Much of what they do can be learned but much of it can't, they are something special, a notch above, stuff that can't be taught, instincts, drive, competetiveness, talent, high levels of skill. I honestly marvel at how they do it sometimes, unreal.

In my mind I would break it down like this.
1. Method of take. Archery is obviously much harder than other methods so any hunter that gets it done with archery equipment is in a different league.
2. Giant old bucks taken in general season units Do It Yourself style. Areas that have a ton of hunting pressure are much more difficult than private land, or high dollar limited entry or because they have the most money to buy top notch tags or pay high priced outfitters.
3. Harvesting huge bucks in the modern era, even with all the modern tech is probably harder in many ways than what the old timers had in the 60's because there were so many more big bucks around, maybe I'm wrong here?
4. Diversity of terrain. This one I think the guys getting it done in the high country it is just harder than on flat land plains bucks that they get multiple stalk attempts in easy to navigate terrain.

Guys like this guy Mike Hirschi, Sean Morgan, Nate Simmons, Founder, Wes Hogan, and a few others they are like the Michael Jordans mule deer hunting. Much of what they do can be learned but much of it can't, they are something special, a notch above, stuff that can't be taught, instincts, drive, competetiveness, talent, high levels of skill. I honestly marvel at how they do it sometimes, unreal.
Regarding certain individuals being the Michael Jordan’s of mule deer hunting.

The Michael Jordan that entered MLB wasn’t the same MJ that he was 15 years later. He had the same genetics, he had the same personality, the same drive, the same natural athleticism, etc etc. What he gained over the 15 years was new muscle memory, new knowledge, greater under standing of what his body can do as well what his opponent could do.

Hunters that start early in life and commit greater and great time and continually build on experiences are almost always going to be better hunters than those of us that don’t.

Regarding certain individuals being the Michael Jordan’s of mule deer hunting.

The Michael Jordan that entered MLB wasn’t the same MJ that he was 15 years later. He had the same genetics, he had the same personality, the same drive, the same natural athleticism, etc etc. What he gained over the 15 years was new muscle memory, new knowledge, greater under standing of what his body can do as well what his opponent could do.

Hunters that start early in life and commit greater and great time and continually build on experiences are almost always going to be better hunters than those of us that don’t.
100% You see the Jordans learn to be wiser players and instead of jumping over people they learn to take smarter jump shots where you won't get hurt etc. In the hunting world the wiser hunter instead of hiking more miles will spend more time behind the glass or at the water hole or setting up more cameras in the early season etc. to hunt smarter. It is fascinating at whatever the sport is in life the winners seem to find a way to succeed and there are levels to the game just like everything.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom