Got a different Buck than what you scouted?

schoolhousegrizz

Very Active Member
How often have you guys gone into an area where you have scouted for a buck and are looking for him. However, you end up finding one just as good or better that you never found during scouting. Would love to hear your experience on this.

Last edited:
I have that story in 2020. I was looking for a big non-typical. Scouted the area for many days, then archery hunted for 7 days I believe it was. Returned on the rifle and killed a 203 buck I'd never seen in there. I was blown away that I spent so much time in there and never saw that buck. I would've never thought a buck could have hidden like that.

I have that story in 2020. I was looking for a big non-typical. Scouted the area for many days, then archery hunted for 7 days I believe it was. Returned on the rifle and killed a 203 buck I'd never seen in there. I was blown away that I spent so much time in there and never saw that buck. I would've never thought a buck could have hidden like that.
No possibility he moved in from a different area?

I remember that!

I don't think so. I think he was there and I just didn't see him. It was a tough spot to hunt because of the wind and thick timber. I had a hell of a time getting looks at the buck I was after.
I saw him 200 yards from were Fouder shot him at the end of July. He put on some impressive inches after I saw him. He had been hanging out in that spot for at least 3 years, but really added some size the year he got shot. I missed him 2 years before founder got him. I hesitated to long then decided to shoot. He was 27" 4x4 with no cheaters that year. Probably 180 ish.

I don't think so. I think he was there and I just didn't see him. It was a tough spot to hunt because of the wind and thick timber. I had a hell of a time getting looks at the buck I was after.
My son and I were in the same area for three days prior to the rifle season and never saw that buck either. There was a LOT of hunters in that area the first couple days of the season. I'm guessing all the scouting pressure had him educated. It is always good thing when those smart old bucks make a mistake when you are in the right spot.

I saw him 200 yards from were Fouder shot him at the end of July. He put on some impressive inches after I saw him. He had been hanging out in that spot for at least 3 years, but really added some size the year he got shot. I missed him 2 years before founder got him. I hesitated to long then decided to shoot. He was 27" 4x4 with no cheaters that year. Probably 180 ish.
I believe he was in there the whole time I was scouting and bowhunting, he must've just smelled my stinky butt and knew I was coming everyday. I was impressed though that he avoided me laying eyes on him all that time. I would've never guessed I could spend that much time in a bucks house without catching a glimpse.

Several years ago my number 1 and number two buck lived in the same canyon. Opening morning I had my #1 in my crosshairs before legal shooting time. About 5 mins before legal shooting light, two guys walked right through the buck sending him packing. I grabbed my crap and ran as fast as I could to the top of the next ridge to hopefully catch him going up the other side. No dice. He disappeared. I sat down in disappointment and my brother said I can see a buck (with his naked eye at 650 yards). I put my binos on him and it was my #2. As much as I wanted to pass him up in hopes for the bigger one, I just couldn’t pass. He scored 193”. I think my #2 was over 200 but I never laid eyes on him again.
IMG_3985.jpeg
IMG_3952.jpeg

Several years ago my number 1 and number two buck lived in the same canyon. Opening morning I had my #1 in my crosshairs before legal shooting time. About 5 mins before legal shooting light, two guys walked right through the buck sending him packing. I grabbed my crap and ran as fast as I could to the top of the next ridge to hopefully catch him going up the other side. No dice. He disappeared. I sat down in disappointment and my brother said I can see a buck (with his naked eye at 650 yards). I put my binos on him and it was my #2. As much as I wanted to pass him up in hopes for the bigger one, I just couldn’t pass. He scored 193”. I think my #2 was over 200 but I never laid eyes on him again.
View attachment 151583View attachment 151584
Awesome, was that in a general unit with those 2 big bucks? If so what unit?😂😉

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom