GMU 17 Elk (Help!)

hunter101

Good Day All!

I have the 1st archery elk tag coming up in just a few weeks and am asking for pointers fellas. I have hunted elk many times, no issues there. I am familiar with the southern part of this unit but I've mainly hunted for deer in 17. Been out there these past few weeks but not having any luck locating elk on the southern end of the unit near Monticello/Vicks Peak Area. With folks that are experienced with this unit would you say that I should focus more towards the north side of the unit near Magdalena or is it safe to say that I should continue to focus on the southern part of the unit? I am driving out of Doña Ana, NM so its not to far of a drive, but not as familiar with the northern part of this unit. I've been out towards Monica Cabin and checked the area, but not sure if thats a good area to focus for archery, any help is greatly appreciated!

We used to draw itbevertbyear

Haven’t drawn it in about ten years now.

That cabin is at the farthest northern end of the unit

We usually hunt way further south

Lots of private and outfitters up by where you are at

Lots of elk move east into 17 from 16

There are some nasty hell holes in 17 and that’s whether hey will be

We have killed lots of 330+ bulls on west slopes of San Mateo mountains

Pine Tank and Kelly Canyon are our favorite spots

I really appreciate all the positive comments! Not trying to take anyone's spot. Just asking for some pointers in that area. I hunt 36/34 all the time and can exchange information for those units as well. Any help is greatly appreciated! Plenty of Land to hunt for us all, its not like I'm going to magically land an elk lol got to put in the work, put boots on the ground, locate wildlife and create a plan of action. Here is a pic I got from going into 17 this past weekend, there is a lot of land to cover.

453788320_8091054647644945_6514187066566662215_n.jpg

Yeah you know I’m sick of you little bitchez complaining when a guy gives someone a little help. You sound like a bunch of democrat libtards censoring our posts. If you don’t like us sharing hunting spots and information about hunting then leave this forum. After all it’s a forum created by an amazing hunter to share information with other hunters. Imagine that.

Jeez what a couple of tools. The hunting Gods. The hunting overlords. STFU!!!!

I know when I came on this site over 12 years ago the help I got was amazing. I then stayed extra days to learn all I could.and if we were lucky and finished are hunt early I kept scouting. I help anyone I can and shared the info I knew about 17 and I think that is just doing my part for all the help I got

I’ve got a 17 tag too. Don’t complain if I beat you to these spots we will be hunting hard and aggressive. There will be 5 of us together, one tag, never been in the unit we will take all the help we can get. Live 1800 miles from the unit so we can’t scout. What’s the best cameo for 17 ? Should we hit Pine Tank first or is it better to hit Kelly Canyon first ? We are willing to pay some locals for inside info when we get there. Should we hold out for a 350 plus the first week ?

I definately recommend holding out for 350" or better.

Oh and by posting details in the forum like @muleybeast did instead of using PM (like @billc probably did) you're not "giving a guy a little help." You may actually be ruining the hunt for him by spilling beans to every internet scouter and his team that searches for "GMU ##" over the next ... how many years?

Dang man I’m so sorry Reuben. I didn’t mean to give away the last hiding spot in unit 17 of the last 350 Bull. Man what a bad person I am. Shuck E Darn. I feel terrible now. May the public forum Gods continue to shame me.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom