Gillette and Dubois Fires blowing up pretty big

elks96

Long Time Member
The Fish Creek Fire and the House Draw Fires are getting after it today. The smoke from fish creek is pretty heavy all the way into Riverton.

The House Draw fire between Gillette and Douglas has I90 Closed and also appears to have closed.

Nears Gillette there are several other fires that were growing rapidly as well. I just heard that the Constitution Fire has closed 59 and between all the fires there are tons of evacuations and stock getting moved.

Crazy what one dry thunderstorm can do…

160,000 acres. Crazy

Screenshot_20240822_132349_onX Hunt.jpg

Try and keep it off the BLM? Would make for some good public hunting.
I don’t think they are trying anything except to not get killed… It is just running hard, it skipped I90 with no problem. Winds are around 10MPH but supposed to just to 15+ again tonight. Which ever way they wind blows it is going to run fast and hard…

Try and keep it off the BLM? Would make for some good public hunting.

It's hitting the blm and state land now.

Wonder how many cattle got turned into ribeyes
Am
I correct they have 2 other fires by Gillette as well. The constitution and another one. The closer one to Gillette is smaller but they have not released the data yet so ONx has not mapped it?
I can see those on ONX

I watched the Fish creek fire blow up on saturday from up high... rumor is they are getting close to shutting down the highway between moran and dubois. Brooks lake lodge has been fully evacuated. It gets over the highway into all that timber and the wilderness, they arent stopping it till winter would be my guess

Let the fire burn on private and fight it on public. Why are we spending tax money on private land when they don't allow public access. Let the big ranch owners pay for the fire fighters and tankers. Reap what they sow....
I have paid taxes on my small acreage for 18 years, a small portion of which goes towards fire protection. I have also denied access to folks wanting to hunt the numerous deer on my 6 acres.

So I should be disqualified from fire protection? That’s a little f’ed up and twisted.

How does one know all those LOs do not allow hunting?

Sorry but that fire won't stay on public or private, help those that need it.

Let the fire burn on private and fight it on public. Why are we spending tax money on private land when they don't allow public access. Let the big ranch owners pay for the fire fighters and tankers. Reap what they sow....
dumbest thing ive read in a while, and thats saying something for this place. Fire doesnt know boundaries...so just let it burn on private so it can jump right back onto public? Let livestock die, houses burn, and small time ranchers lose their livelihood all because you have an issue with people who have more land than you? Pretty pathetic statement

Fair question. Sure fight the fire where it is and for sure protect homes. But if you have to choose between private range land or public? Do we protect private interests or public? Do the landowners pick public over private? No
So public resources should value public lands and infrastructure 1st if there is a choice.

Speaking as someone who lives within the evacuation zone of the Flat Rock Fire, having had to pack my house up as I could the other night while watching the flames coming closer to my house, and having seen first hand flames surrounding my neighbors houses, I am glad fire crews were out there keeping things under control as best they could so we didn't lose our houses, irrespective of whether they were on private or public land. A little ignorance goes a long way.

Typical response from some of the landowners. It's deprivation tags/money, LO tags, corner crossing, and now fire protection from wildland fires. I hear city folks don't have to worry about large wildland fires, wild animals eating your green grass, people crossing at corners, and the list goes on and on. Everyone chooses where they want live.......if it's in the mountains or priaire and it's prone to wildfires, then hire folks to clear around your house/property. Don't expect the government to do it for you. I find it funny the same folks ***** and complain about buzz working for the government but it's OK when said government comes on your property to fight fires. Interesting...

How many of these large ranch owners who are millionaires/ billionaire ever reimbursed the government for fire fighting on their land. It never happens, yet they get reimbursed all the time by said government. Hypocrites?

Last edited:
Typical response from some of the landowners. It's deprivation tags/money, LO tags, corner crossing, and now fire protection from wildland fires. I hear city folks don't have to worry about large wildland fires, wild animals eating your green grass, people crossing at corners, and the list goes on and on. Everyone chooses where they want live.......if it's in the mountains or priaire and it's prone to wildfires, then hire folks to clear around your house/property. Don't expect the government to do it for you. I find it funny the same folks ***** and complain about buzz working for the government but it's OK when said government comes on your property to fight fires. Interesting...

How many of these large ranch owners who are millionaires/ billionaire ever reimbursed the government for fire fighting on their land. It never happens, yet they get reimbursed all the time by said government. Hypocrites?

Extending such reasoning to its logical conclusion would mean that firefighters would never respond to a fire unless it involved government property. This would include house fires in town. I suppose this would save some tax dollars by not having to maintain fire departments since there would be a diminished need for their services. This seems like a sensible solution, especially since fires are strictly confined to acts attributable to the landowner and never the product of an act of God, product design flaws, and arson to name a few. I take pride in the fact that the Campbell County community comes together to support each other when confronted by such circumstances. But to hold such responses in disrepute wholly undermines the efficacy of what it is to be a part of a community, particularly when it is done in the name of one's own selfish interests that are adverse to the community.

There are no rules pertaining to ownership of property when it comes to fires. There is no trespassing, fences or water rights regardless of what land is burning. That's has to be worth something.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom