fawn recruitment

justr_86

Long Time Member
I'm seeing write a few more fawns this year, I think the winter helped! Anybody know what the actual numbers are? A few more years like this we might have a deer herd again! Maybe with a healthier herd we may see some better bucks?

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

I was wondering the same thing. I haven been able to locate it on the net anywhere and I dont even know if the UDWR really looks at it in any depth. Wasnt there a study done on the Monroe that started with catching doe's and putting some kind of monitor in them when they gave birth? Would be interesting to see those results. This year looks much better on some units in then it has in years past concerning Fawn recruitment. The Boulder/Kaparowitz and Dutton still look mediocre to poor as far as fawns go.Jmo. I would love to see a study though.

That was the best part about my Southern Muzzy hunt was seeing the does with twins and two other does with triplets. Otherwise, WHERE IS ALL THE NICE BUCKS?!!!!!!

Here's what to think about:

This Summer (Locally!) We did have a Fair Fawn Crop!

Bad Part is:

I watched the Breedin Stock last Fall!

Bunch of Damn PISSCUTTER Daddy's for the most part!

Since the Birth of the New Fawns I have seen first hand with My own eyes:

Several Fawns Run over on the Hi-Way!

A few that got cut up with Swathers!

A few that I got out of Fences & a Few that died in the Fences!

Coyotes have made several Kills on the Fawns and Does!

There ain't many of the Fawns left!

What's the chances of what's left making it through the Winter?

Our local Buck got Run over 3 days ago!

His PISSCUTTER Horns didn't last 2 hours before somebody Hacked them off!

Hello Mr. Wisz,This is the UDWR Calling....LMMFAO!
15" Bases?
30" 5ths?
GOOD GAWD A MIGHTY!

This time of year I usually count 6 to 7 fawns for every 20 does this year I seen 3 fawns the coyotes and lions are the main reason for low fawn count IMO.

>This time of year I usually
>count 6 to 7 fawns
>for every 20 does this
>year I seen 3 fawns
>the coyotes and lions are
>the main reason for low
>fawn count IMO.

I was in the southern part of the beaver unit earlier this year and saw about 50 deer over the course of 3 or 4 days. About 6 of those were bucks. I only saw about 6 fawns total. Now the thing is, we know for a fact that right around the same time 3 lions were in the area, mamma and two almost full grown cubs, got em on trailcam. I bet those lions really enjoyed eating all those fawns.

Pretty much every doe I've seen on the south slope has had a fawn at her side. Quite a few twins and even a couple triplets.. I've seen a couple good bucks, for the most part 2 year olds.

But I was hunting elk, not deer.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Saw alot of does with twins, Now if you get a easy winter.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

I also saw a lot of fawns. Looked like alot of twins with more then a few triplets. I was up on the fish lake unit.

I agree 3blade I have also been on the Beaver seen a few little bucks, but the mature deer are basically none existent. I thought the units was supposed to be looked at unit by unit and place number of hunters accordingly. I saw about what you did 10 bucks per 100 doe while I was their and all little bucks. So if we are at these numbers why do they continue to tell us it is great and place so many hunters in these units. Everyone seems to see the same thing except the ones who make the call.

Elkass :D they haven't all died!! I haven't seen a single doe without twins or trips yet this fall!! Here's a recent trail cam pic...
256pict0032.jpg

~Z~

Funny you'd bring it up Justr-86. We were all talking about it in deer camp this year.
Lots of deer, lots of fawns and even lots of bucks......at least where we were hunting.
Good luck to us all on this mule deer thing.
Zeke

>Elkass :D they haven't all died!!
>I haven't seen a single
>doe without twins or trips
>yet this fall!! Here's a
>recent trail cam pic...
>
256pict0032.jpg

>
>~Z~

GAWD!

I'm waitin for somebody to tell me how many Big Bucks there are in the NE Region where I'm Huntin and that all Does have Sextuplets!

Herd should be in Shape for Un-Limited Numbers of Tags by next Fall!

15" Bases?
30" 5ths?
GOOD GAWD A MIGHTY!

That's a Low Blow right there justr!

15" Bases?
30" 5ths?
GOOD GAWD A MIGHTY!

+1 justr,

I made the same observation on the Manti, so it looks like pretty good fawn crop this year.
The upcoming winter will be the test to see if they can get through to grow future horns.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom