Factory 30-.06 Load?

Cheater

I shoot a Ruger M77 30-.06, and was curious if anyone has a recommendation for a good factory load to put through it? Something that would do a good job on Deer and Elk? I've always put Remington 165 grain Core-Lokts through it. They have done a serviceable job for me on Deer. However, I've never used them on Elk and don't know if they have enough knock-down power? As I check out ammo at the store the Core-Lokts seem to be more of a budget ammo. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

You might also want to consider trying to find some Nosler Accubonds in 180gr. or some Partitions. Some type bullet that is aerodynamic for better flight performance to help long range and will also hold together. Depending on the terrain your hunting sight the rifle accordingly to allow that 06 to give you it's best... If your going to be shooting longer ranges with that slower than Magnum caliber sight in off the bench for longer ranges etc. Which ever bullet you choose contact the manufacture for the spec's on the load to help you sight in for your type of hunting...

Good Luck and bring back a big one :)

))))------->

What do you guys think of Nosler Trophy Grade ballistic tip 180 grain. Just bought some for my november elk hunt. I also shoot ruger m77 30-06

winchester supremes ballistic silver-tip, 180 grain.

this game is kinda like what is better, chevy, ford or dodge. just got to find something you like.

>What do you guys think of
>Nosler Trophy Grade ballistic tip
>180 grain. Just bought some
>for my november elk hunt.
>I also shoot ruger m77
>30-06
I am running the 165 grains and they seem like real fine ammo. I also have shot the 165 grain trophy bonded bear claws before they were tipped. My browning seems to like 165 grain better than the 180's. But lets be honest, we have all killed a lot of crap with those core locks, they just don't look as cool as the silver tipped shells!

When they came for the road hunters I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for the oppurtunists I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for the public land hunters I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for me there was no one left to say anything!

Hossblur I have to agree 110% on the corelokts. I have killed plenty of animals with them,but the ballistic tips sure look cool lol.

I've been using Federal Barnes TSX 165's in my -06 for years.My 700 likes the 165 more than the 180's. I still have some coreloks,but they are collecting dust....

For deer, lots of combo's are just fine.

For Elk, i rank these two bullets as the worst you could use. Granted, they may kill a bull but they surely could not do their job and you might lose a bull as well

#2 worst big game hunting bullet you can use, Nosler Ballistic Tip. They are famous for exploding on contact and never penetrating to the animals vitals.

#1 worst bullet in modern history! Rem Core-Loct round nose ammo!
If you still have any of these round nosed sinkers, shoot them up at targets, throw them away, but please don't be tempted to take them hunting. They have the Ballistic's of a rock and were way underloaded. The .257 bob's 120 gr, the 270's 150 gr and the '06's 180 round nosed loadings are flat worse than terrible. Look at the Ballistic chart and compare if you don't agree with me.

I truly wouldn't waste my time with this if i didn't feel so strongly against this Rem ammo. It's pure Crap!!

Joey

I use the Winchester 165 grain pointed soft points and find that they do a fine job on the deer and elk.

I know you might laugh but like was said earlier. we have and still do use remington core lokt. We shoot remington rifles anyway and the 165 grain core lokt shoots awesome. We drop animals every year in their tracks with them. Last year my son dropped a buck at 500 yards , one shot. So why switch?

Just for clarification, There is a huge difference between 165 gr "Pointed" soft point Core lokts and 180 gr SP round nosed bullets I spoke of above. The round nosed bullets at 500 yds, junk!

From Remington's Website

165 Rem Express Core lokt foot pounds of energy at 500 yds. 963
180 Rem Express Round nosed Core Lokts energy at 500 yds. 625
180 Rem Prem AccuTip bullet Foot pounds Energy @ 500yds 1393

You make the call!

Joey

The '06 is no 500 yd Elk gun no matter what load you shoot out of it....

My last hunter had an '06 loaded with the Hornady superformance 180's and dropped his Elk in its tracks, albeit at 60 yds. Quartering on shot, hit him right at the junction of shoulder and neck. Made a real mess inside, and broke the off shoulder.

2a0fcsk.gif

Ended up going with the 180 gr. Hornaday Superformance. It did a great job. The shot was in the timber at about a 100 yards. After being hit, he took two steps forward, got the wobblies and crashed like a ton of bricks. The exit hole was fairly small, but the bullet did some serious damage internally.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom