Elk Rifles

• Thread starter montana hunter (Guest)
  • Start date
M

montana hunter (Guest)

I am relatively new to elk hunting, and have only gotten 1 in 5 years. This last year we got into a bunch of them, but my I didn't think my rifle was big enough to get the clean kill. I'm thinking about getting a .300 but I really don't know anything about them. Could anybody give me any useful info on these guns or even a better selection. I also plan to use this gun for deer hunting.

David

I am using a 300 win mag right now I have only gotten one elk but almost everyone else in my family uses the 300 win mag also and many elk and deer have been taken with this cal in my family with usually just one shot.

Jake

I have had success with my 300 Win Mag for elk and large game for the last ten years. I use the Federal Premium 180gr Nosler Partitions which worked perfect on my bull last year at 400yds.

This year I shot a large body buck four times with my .300 win mag before he went down (2 times in the shoulder, once 2 inches behind the shoulder and once by the last rib). He was stone dead 10 seconds after the first shot but I am surprised that he was able to stay on his feet that long with four 180 grain bullets (and bone fragments) going through his lungs. Last year I shot a large body buck out of his bed with the exact same load in the chest and he was dead before he even had a chance to realize anything was wrong. Some animals (especially elk) are just going to be harder to knock down.

I might switch to a .300 WSM(Winchester short mag) in a few years. The .300 WSM and .300 win mag are almost identical as far as ballistics go. The advantages of the .300 WSM include slightly less recoil, less powder and a shorter action to work. You may also want to consider the .270 WSM or 7mm mag. If you are considering at looking at something with more power the .338 win mag, .300 RUM (Remington ultra mag) and .338 RUM are all good guns. With larger guns like the .300 win mag you may want to consider getting a muzzle break or using a shoulder pad when shooting at the range.

The 7mm rem mag or the 30-06 would be a good choice for a deer/elk gun.

What are you using now?

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

i see nothing wrong with the trusty 30-06 there are 3 of us in my family who shoot them, my grandpa, my uncle and myself, we all have had great success with them. other caliber in the family include a 270 a 6.5x55 swedish mauser, the 7mm ultra mag a 308 256 roberts and 300 savage.
casey

You will always get the same "as long as you make a good shot a smaller caliber will do fine" arguement. I agree with this to an extent.

But I will take the higer caliber rifle (especially for longer shots (400 yards). And this applies for deer as well as elk. I shoot a 300 win mag, Browning White Gold. I am totally satisfied and will never go back to my 270.

Good luck with your decision.

Jason

i shoot a 300 wby mag. love it would not trade it for the world. shot two deer this year and only used one shot for each. right behind the shoulder. stone dead. 300 is a good caliber.

good luck.

Garrett

LAST EDITED ON Dec-08-03 AT 08:29PM (MST)[p]
I personaly would stay away from the 7's.
30-06, 300 win, 300WSM, 300 RUM good choices, the 338 is another good choice. If you want a rifle try the 300WSM for both deer and elk.

Smiling.gif

Something 30 cal from a 30-06 on up. Hard to beat a 30-06 for versatility, cheap cost and availability of ammo. The 300 mags, (win mag, Weatherby, and WSM) are pretty much ideal elk rifles. Not really needed for deer but they do the job. Only downside is harder recoil and ammo costs a bit more. Of course you can always beef up your 30-06 to near mag levels with ammo like Federal High Energy or Hornady Light Magnum.

I like the 300 Win. with a 180 grain bullet. I use the Browning Stainless Stalker and love the gun. I have killed many elk with it along with many of my family members also using the 300 Win. to kill their elk.

The 300 Win. is a forgiving caliber, the shock power is so great that I've had the elk go right down even when the bullet was a little off the desired target spot.

Before our hunt this year I bought a used rem 700 .300 win and I took my bull with two shots 325 and 350 yds. I also used it on my deer hunt for luck. Worked out...

For the last twenty years I have hunted with a Winchester Model 70 in 270 caliber. It is a wonderful rifle but I also wanted something bigger for elk so I purchased a Winchester Model 70 in the new 300WSM (Winchester Short Magnum) this year for an elk rifle. The 300WSM is a new caliber for short action rifles. It has a very fat round. Rifle only holds three in magazine but if you haven't hit by then it's probably time to quit anyway. I used it on antelope and mule deer in Wyoming and a hog in Texas so far.
The recoil is more of a push than a sholder breaker but don't get me wrong it has a pretty hard recoil. I have seen 3006's kick harder and it is less than the 300 Winchester Magnum.
I got a mule deer at 200 with no problem. Dropped like a rock.
I got a antelope at 665 with the same reload (165 grain hollow point. It shoots very very flat. Very much like a 22-250 in 45 grain. That is what I normally use in Texas.
The 300 WSM is really too big for antelope and whitetail unless you use a much smaller bullet. It is great for muledeer and elk.

RE: Elk advice

Would you advise me on what state/unit/season to hunt bull elk in. I have never hunted elk but know how to hunt mule deer and whitetail.
There are so many and difficult choices to look at.
Thanks

I'm new to Montana and being from AZ I never needed a large caliber rifle because I would only put in for archery elk there.Archery elk tags only come about every five years if your lucky and rifle forget about it.But this year I bought a 300win I didnt get to can a bull but I did drop a buck with it, I will say that was way to much for deer it blew the holy hell out of it with one shot.As for elk I cant see you going no wrong with a 300 anything bigger is just for those guys that have to compensate for a small caliber in there pants!

RE: Elk advice

I gotta 300 magnum

Ive killed a few deer with
it at long ranges even hit
one at 600 yards. It nockes
em down every time.
Ive killed 3 elk with it.

A 270 should work fine if pick your shots carefully, say under 200 yards on broadside shots only. An '06 with 165 to 200 grain bullets would be even better, so is any of the 7 mags with either 160 or 175 grain. Still even better would any of the 300 mags and the choices goes up all the way to up even the 375 H&H.

Bottom line, pick the biggest rifle you can handle and shoot well. Having said that, the biggest rifle 80% of all elk hunters can handle & shoot well is probably the good ol '06 or 7mm Rem Mag.

An elk should never be shot at if they are than more than 300 yards away, no matter how big a rifle you are shooting. If our fellow bowhunters regularly shoot them at 8 to 10 yards, I don't see why can't or able to get a little closer for good clean, high percentage shot (just an opinion).

Good Luck and happy hunting..........

LAST EDITED ON Dec-20-03 AT 11:27PM (MST)[p]i dont understand y people have to use such huge calibers. remember a time when 30-30's were enough to kill anything?(i wasnt a live then bt dad and grandpa were) so how come everyone has to have a 338 or a 300 ultra? what is wrong with a 30-06 or a 270? damn, people these days think that just because there are guns out there that "make bigger boom" that is what is needed to make an elk fall over. my grandpa shot a bull at over 400 yards a couple years ago with a 180 grain bullet from a 30-06. droped him in his tracks. i understand the statement that there is no such thing as over kill and a "humane quick kill". if you can put a bullet through its heart or lungs or both, it is going to die no matter if it is shot with a 300 dollar 25-06 or a 4,000 dollar 375 h&h. these are just my thoughts and allthough the new rifles are nice and do produce some impressive numbers they are not what is needed to kill an elk.just my .02 cents. go ahead and talk the sh!t
casey

I think it depends on what kind of shot placement you are looking for. For example Are you trying to break the animal down? (not neccessarily a one shot kill, but a shoulder shot that drops him in his tracks so it doesn't jump off a cliff and damage meat and horns). Or a heart or lung shot that is a one shot kill, but the animal is able to remain on it's feet until it expires. My opinion is, on Elk and larger game the 30 cal is the way to go if your trying to break the animal down. (hitting big bone). But if you know your rifle and don't want to damage meat. A 270 0r 7mm bullet , what ever you are comfortable with ( to a point) placed in the heart or lungs will do the trick. My opinion ,Ironhead

LAST EDITED ON Dec-22-03 AT 12:20PM (MST)[p]I go by the rec that 1800lbs of energy is what you need to take a shot at an elk. That is why i got the .300 over my .270. I didn't want to be limited to 200 yds or less. The one thing that makes me pissed off is when poeple brag about what small caliber they use to hunt with. This isn't f__king fishing. You cant just let the fish break the line and swim off. I dont care what joker uses what for what but I'll put my shooting up against almost anyone. But its not a contest. If you can have losing an animal on your conscience than use a .22 . I don't know why I'm so pissed off right now but anyway, use whatever rifle you can handle. And KNOW your limitations. So what if you blow up a little more meat than needed. On a slightly misplaced shot the enrgy of the bullet is what compensates. And your animal is on the ground. But then again most idiots dont even know the ballistics of their firearm and bullets. I would use a 7mm or larger. If you cant shoot to 400 yds anyway why pay for a rifle that can.

hers the problem-with all the talk of the big magnum calibers, and how they will help on marginal shots is that we now have a whole lot of people walking around the woods with a gun they cant handle, and think they can take that texas heart shot at an elk at 1000 yards. i know there are alot of people out there who take the time to get efficient with these guns, and they can make amazing shots with these things. the problem is, from what i can tell, for every one of them, there are 2 guys with the latest super duper ultra mag, with a 40 dollar tasco scope on it, who have put maybe a half box through it, who close they're eyes and flinch and assume the superior balistics will make it all work out. i dont care who you are, a 270 or even 243 through the lungs is better than a 3500 fps super magnum in the guts every time.

sam

Oh saminwy you want to rejoin the party. Weren't you the guy telling me not to leave a bunch of gimps in the woods a while back? After i had asked some simple questions on a scope. Oh yeah that was you. The guy telling me that since I hadn't shot my used rifle a 1000 times that I shouldn't take it hunting. Well samin you can kiss my b & c elk I shot at 325 and 350. Oh don't worry I also have it on video. You're a moron. If someone is serious at the range and can shoot excellent they should get the rifle with the right amount of energy for the species they hunt. Some poeple can shoot and some cant. Oh yeah my brother is also a national champion shooter so I know a little about bullets. You just got in my craw 3 months ago and I cant get you out!

well, apparently you cant read. if you could, you would have noticed that i pointed out that for some those rifles are worthwhile. if you are competent with the gun, then more power to you. my post was about all the guys running around the woods with a bigger gun because they cant shoot straight with the one they have, and think that a big magnum will tip an elk over in its tracks even if they shoot it in the foot. as far as the post you're refering to, i dont remember it, but if it was basically something to the effect of you being a dumbass, then it does sound like something i would write. as far as your and your brothers credentials, i'm real happy for ya, sounds like you got a good bull. as for me being a moron, i guees your free to have your opinion. really doesn't change my day one way or the other.

sam

270longshot,
knock that chip off your shoulder friend:) I Know people who swear by a 243 and have proven it to be very effective. They have taken the time to become very comfortable with their rifles and spend the time and resources working up loads using good premium bullets. Their success is all the proof I need. one friend of mine calls his 243 his elk rifle and uses a 220 swift for deer.
He has taken more than a dozen trophy class mulie bucks, and several elk and has never lost an animal. Most of his kills are one shot. of course he is also a very dedicated rifleman, he can tell you all the ballistics for any of his rifles, and has spent the time to know them from actual shooting and not from some manual. Hell he shoots more rounds at coyotes during the winter months than most of us will shoot at the range.
I prefer a little more medicine, I like 25-06 for deer, and use a 30-06 for elk.
A magnum is a nice choice if you can shoot it without flinching from either the recoil or the noise.
Most average type joes are better off with say a 30-06, 270, 280 for elk and somthing along the lines of a 243 for deer. They will make better shots.

Mike...
WBtazani.gif

and that was exactly my point. the magnums are capable of amazing things in the right hands, but too many people are preaching that they are required to humanly kill elk. therefore, too many casual hunters that dont shoot more than a couple times a year think they can make solid long range shots on game, because of the extra power. a magnum caliber alone does not make long range shots. even a well scoped properly sighted in rifle alone doesn't make consistent 400-500 yard shots in the field. that takes something that doesn't come in a high priced box of cartridges, it comes from experience, and practice. somewhere near the middle of a pie plate at a hundred or so yards is not sighted in for long range shooting, and i'm not talking about anyone in particular, i'm speaking of the average joe. to shoot the ranges the magnums are capable of, takes alot of skills other than holding steady and a good squeeze, you have to judge distance accurately, and you have to think about winds and animal movement and angle of the shot. i'm not at all saying the magnums are a bad choice, but they're not a cure all. i carried one for a couple years, and it was a good shooter, but it was loud, kicked like a mule, and i didn't enjoy shooting it as much as my old 06, after a couple years and a couple elk with the 300, i hadn't noticed elk tipping over any faster, so i went back to carrying my 06. my hunting partner carries a 270, and his elk tend to tip over just the same as they do with anything else. i dont recall the last one either of us took that was anything but a double lung shot, so that may be a big part of it. maybe prefered shot placement makes a big difference on whether you will notice the difference with a big heavy hitter. not that one is better tahn the other(say lungs or through the shoulder).

sam

I was talking about a post I made on sep 19 in the gen forum that sam replied to me on. he told me not to leave a bunch of cripples running around out there. Anyway my point was to sam is that you dont know if someone can shoot or not. I don't see any difference in kick between a .270 and .300. Maybe its cause i weigh 225 lbs though. As long as poeple know the energy of their firearm at yardages is the most important thing. Too many poeple take long shots that unless they make a perfect shot it wont knock the animal down. Oh well I've also been at my home for a week with a sick daughter and i'm a little edgy. I didn't mean to call you a moron. Happy Holidays

"i see nothing wrong with the trusty 30-06 there are 3 of us in my family who shoot them, "

:)

I agree, the 30-06 is a AWSOME gun, I think they give 2 away with every Single wide Trailer you buy !!!!!!!!!!!!

Just cuz A guy likes to shoot his Critter DEAD with a 300 MAG, doesn't mean he can't shoot. I think Guys that Don't shoot 300mags+ Are PUSS's that can't handle it. BUT hey, I've heard of Elk dieing with a Nosler partitioned Pellet gun *ROLL EYES*

Guns in the Field are like PEE PEE's in the Bedroom, Bigger is better, but smaller will get the job done I guess ?!?!?

• [*] -Moosie
~~If you're going to walk on thin ice, Ya might as Well DANCE !!
WALK the TALK, Or shut the HECK UP !!

I was thinking of buying a 30-378 for elk this year!!!I really hate leaving my beer all alone at the truck and I figure with a little coaching my lab could retrieve it.Any idea's on what load and bullets I should use? I'm rigging my spotting scope up to the gun so with a good rest out my window, I figure long range should be no problem!

yeah my da uses an 30-06. I was going to get one but I couldn't find a used one when I bought my .300. Then two weeks after I bought it one of our customers sold my dad his 06 for $200! I think the 06 is the best all around gun out there.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom