Elk Bullet for .264 Win Mag.

D

Dunezrunner

I have a Nevada Bull Elk hunt this November. I am going to be using a .264 Win Mag and I am having a hard time deciding on which bullet to use. I have used the 130gr Accubond on Mule Deer with great success and I am considering using this bullet for the hunt. I am also considering the 140gr Accubond, 120 gr Barnes TTSX bullet and the 130gr Berger VLD. Does anyone have any first hand experience with these bullets in the 264? Good recommendations?

Thanks for the help.

Thomas

I do not have a .264 YET. I have one in the making right now but I do know that I have always had great success with the accubonds in many calibers and will be probably be loading the 129 grain accubond LRs when they come out for my .264 but for elk I think the best option would be the 140 grain accubonds IMO. Can't wait to get mine.

I have hunted with a 264 for 35 years. it's never been an elk cartridge in my opinion but if I were to use it I'd use the same 140 gr Hornady Interlock I use on deer. they almost always exit, so I'd expect they's go most of the way through an elk.

Stay thirsty my friends

Marley, what's the build setting you back? I have been kickin it around about building a 264 or a 6.5-06.

O--one
B--big
A--ass
M--mistake
A--america

No experience with a 264 win mag, but a 130 grain barnes out of a 270 will exit on a broadside lung shot. I would go with a 140 grain TSX (if they make it). That is, if you want to change, otherwise, just shoot your 130AB load.

LAST EDITED ON May-29-13 AT 09:14AM (MST)[p]I think a .264 would do just fine for elk. Just recently I told a guy here that I was having a .264 made and we were talking elk hunting and he said that he would never use anything smaller than a 30-06 with 165 grain bullets for elk. I didn't say anything but I wonder if he realizes that a .264 with 140 grain bullets has more energy than that 30-06 at all ranges past 1000 yards.

muzz sent you a pm.

>LAST EDITED ON May-29-13
>AT 09:14?AM (MST)

>
>I think a .264 would do
>just fine for elk.
>Just recently I told a
>guy here that I was
>having a .264 made and
>we were talking elk hunting
>and he said that he
>would never use anything smaller
>than a 30-06 with 165
>grain bullets for elk.
>I didn't say anything but
>I wonder if he realizes
>that a .264 with 140
>grain bullets has more energy
>than that 30-06 at all
>ranges past 1000 yards.
>
>muzz sent you a pm.

Now that's helpful.

I think marley meant 100 yards. I would use the 140gr accubond or 140gr Berger VLD and not think twice. Put a good shot on the elk and its lights out. Congrats on your tag and good luck.

I use 140 grain Berger VLD hunting in my 264 Winchester Magnum. My set-up has a 26" Barrel. This is what I worked up in my rifle.
Retumbo
Winchester brass
Federal 215M
OAL 3.300
71.5 grains 3,201 fps*
3,215 fps no pressure
Group .185"
This load using the Berger bullet is deadly Elk. Last year my wife dropped her cow at 100 yard and it dropped in its tracks. I killed my bull at 317 yards with same results. I've posted pictures of the damage this combination does on game.

About any bullet ot cartridge will work with perfect bullet placement. it's the not so perfect shots that separate elk rifles and bullets from deer rifles and bullets.

A 264 is not overgunning at all for elk, so use a 140 that will stay together whatever you do.

Stay thirsty my friends

"A 264 is not overgunning at all for elk, so use a 140 that will stay together whatever you do."

Small bullet going real fast. I'd the biggest, stoutest bullet I could find.

I've killed numerous elk with a 6.5x55 Swede and 264 Winchester all using 140 grain Partitions. Those long and thin .26 caliber bullets in my opinion will out penetrate and other caliber bullet combo. The 6.5 loaded at 2700 with a 140 will out do anything a 7mm 175 can do. Good luck.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom