Early Rifle Tag - Mule Deer - Area 7

Omordha

FCFS Tag

I've talked to the biologist, I've read the unit description, I've scoured the internet, I've searched the forums, I've been relentlessly scouting maps and areas... I still have questions and would appreciate a little help from someone that's been there or had this tag.

I'll be heading out solo for the opening week, as that is my only window to hunt. The weather looks less than ideal, but I'm pretty excited and hopeful either way.

Here's some questions:
I keep hearing conflicting information about the quality of deer and age class, so what are some realistic expectations of age and antler growth for this upcoming season?

Weather looks like highs in the 80's-70's and lows in the 40's, will this equate to deer moving to water midday or should I expect little to no movement after sun up?

What strategy would be best, high in the roadless areas or lower country staying mobile and glassing non stop?

How crowded is the opening weekend and week from your experience?

Are camping spots easy to come by?

Thanks guys, I will appreciate any help I can get and hope you all are having a wonderful big game season or have some great tags/hunts that you are looking forward to. I'll take a bashing too, been around long enough to know how asking for help works online, sometimes the bashings can make for some funny reads down the road. :p

Last edited:
Plenty of camping spots. It’s hot this year, not much movement after sunup. Quality is down. Expect to see younger age class deer. 130-150 class bucks. I just hunted the archery tag in 7. I saw 48 bucks and the biggest was a 170 buck. I didn’t make a stalk or knock an arrow. 4 wheeler broke down and ended my hunt. Glass hard and you’ll turn up a buck….definitely NOT a trophy unit. But you never know

I had the tag a few years ago.

Expectations: I had high expectations and realized real quick it was not going to be met with a big mule deer. I held out to the 2nd to last day and filled my tag on a 26" wide 3x3. The majority of the bucks will be dink to small 4x4's.

Weather: when I was there hunting it was windy and I mean Windy! Its was cold as **** too. Have warm clothes just in case.

Strategy: I would stay mobile and glass. I would hike up and find a good vantage point and glass into the canyons and draws that a buck can get away from preasure.. But also drive and glass from the road. There are deer throughout the unit up high and low. It's whats you're capable of doing. Have a spotting scope.

Camping" the camp areas were all full when I was there. I found a spot in the trees to cover me from the wind. Did I say it was windy. LOL... Find an area down in a canyon will make it nicer ion it windy.

If I was to do this hunt again, I would stay mobile and hunt areas that were a short hike to a good vantage point. I would explore out during the day to find new areas. Remember to glass the flats as there are deer every where. Do I think this area could produce big bucks yes but unfortunately its a tuff hunt with tuff dates.

Bubba

I’ve seen some big bucks in those units in the wilderness if you’re willing to hike in. Plenty of deer out of the wilderness to in all the mountain ranges in the 7s.

I would stay mobile, cover different country (especially if you not seeing many deer) and pay attention to known migration routes. The last few days of the hunt might be better than the first few days, depending where you are. I got my buck on the last day. I would keep my standards pretty high on this hunt, but I don’t worry too much about notching out every permit nowadays.

There are a few good bucks in the wilderness but not many, needle in a hay stack type thing. Locals that do a lot of scouting and know the unit well can dig one up sometimes, but with little scouting and never having hunted the unit before you are dealt a tough hand.

Wouldn't have taken it on a fcfs tag unless you just didnt have anything else going on and wanted to spend some time in the mountains. It is very pretty country up there.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom