drew a tag i didn't mean to draw

JPickett

Long Time Member
i must have fat fingered my second choice and put in for a muzzle loader tag :sick:

now i gotta figure out if i even want to pick it up. 36a1 11/1-11/30. i actually know part of the unit pretty well but its the high stuff and likely not where id hunt it that late

lots of public ground down low too. harvest stats look like crap for this tag. only 25 tags though.

any of you guys ever had this one? i may just let it go and hunt archery like normal but maybe one of you guys know if its worth picking up. cool country up there

what do ya think?

a couple years ago we hunted up there during archery season and early Oct on my son's moose hunt, we saw a few decent bulls early on, but we were done before Nov. like you said pretty cool country, my son drew a pronghorn tag up there this year on the short-range weapons season, if we see anything later on in the hunt I will pass it on if you get the tag

i appreciate that devo. part of me wants to just pick it up as it will probably be a fun hunt, but i also know nothing about it as, again, i didnt even mean to apply for it . so i don't really want to waste my time when i really love archery season

Last year I “accidentally” picked up a cow elk archery tag. Almost didn’t go. Had a freaking blast exploring new country and chasing elk. One of my favorite hunts last year although they were all good hunts one way or another.

I’d say if you can get the time off, do it, you never know how fun the hunt might end up being.

Brief episode of PTSD when I thought I drew that tag a few years ago...I had the 36A-2 muzzie and it ran in December. Actually tons of elk, like I'm not kidding alot of freaking elk, but was gawdawful cold, like -20, and the zipper broke in my bag turning it into a taco shell instead of a cozy burrito. I wasn't particularly serious about it and was just gonna borrow my buddies muzzie if one wandered by at a stone's throw distance...when my bag failed and I couldn't warm up it was an easy bail out! :ROFLMAO:

20191208_122821[1].jpg

20191208_135209[1].jpg

20191208_135441[1].jpg

There is probably 200 elk in this shot - in fact I got to the top of this ridge first and there was about half dozen cows in the wide open about 250yds from me. As I had 'em in my binos, my buddy who took a slightly different route walked right into my binos with the elk right behind him. He looked over at me looking at him in my binos, gave me the shoulder shrug like "you seeing anything?" and I did some sort of nonsensical arm waving until he turned around and was like "oh ****, there's elk right there..." Good stuff. :ROFLMAO:
20191208_141319[1].jpg

Last edited:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom