Drawing results

Third choice archery elk and some mostly private land doe antelope tags for my two remaining utes. Gonna dress them in rags and start knocking on doors soon
Otherwise lots of red

Just found out I am going back to the Valle Vidal for my fifth hunt (I have never had the tag) to help a friend on the muzzleloader hunt. WHEN I finally draw it, I will be dialed in :). Two weeks in the Gila with my tag and one week in the Valle Vidal - more than I could have hoped for. I just modified all of our Wyoming elk applications to make sure we do not draw. Then I will settle in here in Iowa to hunt whitetails and pheasants November and December.

IMG_9442.png

Just found out I am going back to the Valle Vidal for my fifth hunt (I have never had the tag) to help a friend on the muzzleloader hunt. WHEN I finally draw it, I will be dialed in :). Two weeks in the Gila with my tag and one week in the Valle Vidal - more than I could have hoped for. I just modified all of our Wyoming elk applications to make sure we do not draw. Then I will settle in here in Iowa to hunt whitetails and pheasants November and December.
Sounds like a fun fall for you!

My old man and I usually apply separately but for the same hunts and it screwed us last year with calendar conflicts so we hunted solo most of the time. This year we finally applied as a group to avoid the scheduling nightmare and we are going to spend a lot of time in camp together. 🤯

We drew archery deer, archery antelope, 1st choice barb, and 3rd choice oryx. We are also anticipating that we should draw our Colorado deer tag in November. Waiting for the right time to drop this bomb on my wife (we just had our 4th baby last month and I’m currently out of town on business lol).

My 20 year old son and I drew our 3rd choice elk hunt on separate apps. Timed well so no conflict with his college classes. Should be fun. Other than turkey, this is the first time we’ve had the same hunt since we always put in separate apps to increase our draw odds.

Good luck to all that drew!

Congrats, I drew VV also! When is muzzy season?

I downgraded all my elk choices to absolute rock bottom & still drew snake eyes. Nothing for other species as well. Will depend on Utah heavily this year.
Anymore “absolute rock bottom” in NM is still a once or twice in a lifetime tag unfortunately. Not too many tags out there above 10% draw odds so to realistically expect more then 1 or 2 in a lifetime when those same tags will be 1:50 odds in 10 years isn’t realistic.

Disagree.

About 38% of total tags in NM go to landowners for elk that are associated with private lands. In the public draw pool, 90% are in the hands of Residents already.

EPLUS tags are not removed from the Public Draw pool, but an entirely seperate pooling of tags. About 25% of those 38% of Landowner tags choose the unit wide option, opening 600k acres of private land to the public for elk hunting.

EPLUS also has led to a tremendous amounts of water development, among other private land developments, which allows for larger herds of Elk. Man made water is absolutely critical for elk being dispersed across the landscape in NM, as NM has little to no surface water across much of the state without it.

These overall larger herds spill into public lands equaling more draw opportunities out of the public draw pool of tags....as greater overall populations can be supported due to landowners and their land developments.

While providing you and everyone else two additonal options to control your elk hunting destiny and 600k acres of additonal land to hunt. Now you can buy some land and develop it, buy a tag, or maybe offer your services in exchange for a tag...in places like Catron County where few people are available to help landowners.

EPLUS is a great program and a huge reason there are 2x or 3x the elk in NM vs the best comparison of AZ.

Let's keep more options for elk hunting, not go strictly to a draw where your odds would change a very insignicant amount to begin with...while eliminating options / opportunities, land access and resources for elk.
600,000 acres opened to public for 25% of tags? Roughly 3375 tags. If you think that is a deal to resident hunters, got some oceanfront in AZ.

"EPLUS tags are not removed from the Public Draw pool, but an entirely seperate pooling of tags" lol! You have to be a landowner who gets tags. That's some Gaslighting.
Additonally, the breakdown of where tags go makes perfect sense too.

Most of the Gila is public, not many private tags exist at all in Units like 16A, B, D, 21A.
Some of these units have less than 20 private land tags. with hundreds and hundreds of public tags available in the draw.

In 16C, also a Gila unit, A single unit wide ranch opens up over 30k acres of private land to EVERY public tag holder in that unit. Plus additional unit wide ranches open more in that same unit. Not just those that know a landowner or can afford a trespass fee....everyone with a legal tag can hop that fence and hunt that private land....no other permissions needed.

But in units like 12 or 15, lot more private land is there so a lot more private land tags. Only makes sense.
"Some of these units have less than 20 private land tags. with hundreds and hundreds of public tags available in the draw." Got to be a landowner. These to sentences have little to nothing to do with each other. A 20 private tag unit I know of has a total of 60 public tags not hundreds and hundreds. Spin

600,000 acres opened to public for 25% of tags? Roughly 3375 tags. If you think that is a deal to resident hunters, got some oceanfront in AZ.

"EPLUS tags are not removed from the Public Draw pool, but an entirely seperate pooling of tags" lol! You have to be a landowner who gets tags. That's some Gaslighting.

"Some of these units have less than 20 private land tags. with hundreds and hundreds of public tags available in the draw." Got to be a landowner. These to sentences have little to nothing to do with each other. A 20 private tag unit I know of has a total of 60 public tags not hundreds and hundreds. Spin
Sounds like someone looking at it from an emotional perspective and likely doesn't understand how it works or where the tags numbers come from. I am personally happy to have multiple ways to secure hunting opportunities. I can draw, I can buy land or I can buy a tag. Give me more hunting options, not less!

Look at units like 16A, 16D, 21A ...almost 100% Forest.

21A is approximately 98% public ground.
250 of the total tags are in the Draw
5 tags go to landowners.

Because it is approximately 98% public land!

And you can find the opposite where the vast majority of a unit is private land and very little public. The tag allocation will reflect this in their distribution too
1719866011411.png

Last edited:
Sounds like someone looking at it from an emotional perspective and likely doesn't understand how it works or where the tags numbers come from. I am personally happy to have multiple ways to secure hunting opportunities. I can draw, I can buy land or I can buy a tag. Give me more hunting options, not less!

Look at units like 16A, 16D, 21A ...almost 100% Forest.

21A is approximately 98% public ground.
250 of the total tags are in the Draw
5 tags go to landowners.

Because it is approximately 98% public land!

And you can find the opposite where the vast majority of a unit is private land and very little public. The tag allocation will reflect this in their distribution tooView attachment 150059
CodeOpen
Date
WeaponHunt
Type
Total '21
Quota
Fee
Type
Notes
ELK-2-246Sep 01BowES225HDUnits 16B, 22
ELK-2-247Sep 15BowES165Q/HDUnits 16B, 22
ELK-1-248Oct 09RifleMB25Q/HDUnits 16B, 22
ELK-1-249Oct 16RifleMB135Q/HDUnits 16B, 22
ELK-1-250Oct 23RifleMB160HDUnits 16B, 22

16B/22 opens up 600k acres at a total of 710 tags (impact)
Eplus opens up 600k acres at a cost of 3375 tags. (Impact)

I think emotion is left out here. Data says opening up 600k landowner acres for higher hunter density unit wide is anything but beneficial except for LO's.

-Only about 20% of total eplus tags are unit wide.

-You and every other tag holder get access to an additional Unit worth of private land to hunt with no need for permission or trespass fees.
Everyone can hunt it with a legal tag.

-Much of that private land greatly contributes to higher populations as private lands provide a ton of water and additonal habitat.

-Higher populations equal more draw tags too.

And your example further confirms my point
16B /22:

739 Total Tags
Breakdown as:
709 Draw Tag
30 EPLUS Tag

Makes sense again...while enouraging landowner habitat development, opening private acerage to the public and giving you and everyone else multiple additional options to secure elk hunting abilities.

Now, if you took those tags away from Landowners, 80% of which are ranch only, and put them in the draw, as NMWF and BHA want....yes you would have a hunter density issues. As of now, you don't as the vast majority are restricted to privated deed acerage.

I think the far better argument would be, give land owners a bonus point in their land scoring system to encourage even more properties to open up.

Instead of 600,000 acres of Unit Wide, lets instead get it o 2 million or 3 millions acres acres.

-Only about 20% of total eplus tags are unit wide.

-You and every other tag holder get access to an additional Unit worth of private land to hunt with no need for permission or trespass fees.
Everyone can hunt it with a legal tag.

-Much of that private land greatly contributes to higher populations as private lands provide a ton of water and additonal habitat.

-Higher populations equal more draw tags too.

And your example further confirms my point
16B /22:

739 Total Tags
Breakdown as:
709 Draw Tag
30 EPLUS Tag

Makes sense again...while enouraging landowner habitat development, opening private acerage to the public and giving you and everyone else multiple additional options to secure elk hunting abilities.

Now, if you took those tags away from Landowners, 80% of which are ranch only, and put them in the draw, as NMWF and BHA want....yes you would have a hunter density issues. As of now, you don't as the vast majority are restricted to privated deed acerage.
Ahhh, no it doesn't make sense. No it doesn't confirm your point.You keep dodging. Let's try one more time.
You changed your percentages again as well . 25% is now 20% ? Pick one and stay with it, at least per thread
You gaslight data to make a point.

So again...In a high density unit 16B Gila comprised of 600,000 acres of prime PUBLIC land, NM game and Fish issued 710 tags to public. If the 600,000 acres of public land was E-plus land in 16B, 3375 tags are the cost for the public to hunt ...If I want numbers,I can go to Colorado. They have over twice as many elk. They issued 710 tags to better manage the unit. I sure hope the 600,000 E-plus land owner acreage areas has a much higher density than 16b. Otherwise we are raping the land for welfare as well as robbing NM residents of what should be a quality public resource.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom