count your blessings

swbuckmaster

Long Time Member
I just got back from almost 4 weeks in Peru Here are just a couple of things we did while I was there.

The people in Peru we extremely nice to me, they would sometimes come up to me and want to take a picture with me so they could show their friends or family. I never felt threatened while I was down there. I even went to a ##### fight in the ghettos of Arequipa. This was quite the experience to say the least. It was a small room with about a hundred people ?Standing room only.? Since we were the last to arrive we had to scale a wall about ten feet tall and stand on it. When we were spotted by the announcer he pointed us out to the rest of the crowed. This was a tense moment when you see a hundred drunken Peruvians looking at you. Especially with all the things we herd about ending up in the desert robbed or worse. The first thing anyone said to me in the crowd was he was from Pakistan and was named Osama Bin laden. What a way to start out. Well it got better when he offered me a beer. By the time it was all said and done we were in the middle of the arena and handling the birds. They took us back to see how things were done.
DSCF1482.jpg

I got to put on some spurs on a bird that I took out to the arena. I gave it to the handler and made my way into the crowed. I than started the betting off. I got pretty carried away by betting several people in the crowed that my bird would win. It was intense especially when my bird started off dominating until he lost one of his eyes. I thought it was all over but he made out like a champ and never backed down. When the 8 minute bell sounded I was relieved my bird was still alive and it was called a draw. Wow it was something I am glad I witnessed this once but don't have any desire to go back to ##### fighting.

While I was there we also went to Colca Canyon this is the deepest and longest canyon in the world.
P1000514.jpg

It was incredible to see a wild Andean condor flying with its nearly 12 foot long wing span.
P1000502.jpg

I also saw a thing that looked like a squirrel crossed with a rabbit.
P1000520.jpg

While I stayed in a village just over 13,000 feet I couldn't imagine how the people have lived there. They mostly had mud houses about 8x10 in size. These people have grown up in this valley and have probable never left. They barley have enough money to eat. Their diet mostly consists of colca leaves. As I left the valley I reached a summit just over 16,000 feet in elevation. This is the highest I have ever been. I was fine during the day but when I tried to sleep I would wake up every 10 minutes gasping for air.

DSCF1675.jpg

went to a bull fight and watched the bulls rip to pieces a few people in the crowed that thought they were better than the fighters LOL.
DSCF1527.jpg

Guinea pig its whats for dinner!
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n72/swbuckmaster/DSCF1353.jpg

I believe one can never truly appreciate what we have in the USA until you see how people in other countries live. We are truly blessed to live in a country as great as ours!

A rodent on potato chips?! Did you eat that disgusting thing swb? You probably have Hantavirus and don't even know it.

No kidding, what in the hell was in Peru?

THEM RODENTS ARE ONLY EDIBLE WHEN THE GUTS ARE LEFT IN!!!

THAT LOOKS LIKE SOME MEAN TERRITORY!!!

THIS IS MY NEW GUN,YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,YOU'LL LIKE IT A HELL OF A LOT LESS WHEN IT HITS ITS DESTINATION!!!
47654abd5a8fd79a.jpg

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

THE ONLY bobcat THAT KNOWS ALOT OF YOU HAVE HAD THIS IMAGE IN YOUR PEA BRAIN BUT DUE TO POOR SHOOTING TACTICS I'M STILL KICKIN!!!

I had to go there for work. We were mapping a few leaks in one of the world?s largest earth field dams. At least it will be the worlds largest when finished.

I probably got the honta virus from eating something else down their. Every thing you eat gives you the trots.

Archery is a year round commitment!!

"probably got the honta virus from eating something else down their"

Possibly crabs?;-)

Cool post!!! It really does throw into perspective how bad off we AREN'T. Count your blessings is an understatement. Cool pictures there for sure. Everyone I've ever talked to that has traveled down there said the people are amazing also.

Awesome photo diary.
Been slummin round dis place for many moons &
this is the 1st post I made my ol'lady read.
Cool adventure, I wanna take a trip like that one.

Beef

The pig / rat in the photo tasted like chicken but on one other occasion I tried it cooked a little different and it tasted like alpaca sheit smells. I got up and had to run to the bathroom and spit it out. I would have normally just put it back on my plate but I honestly thought I was going to puke.

Archery is a year round commitment!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom